WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2013

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    downloaded two more audiobooks to my iPod. I was just getting tired of always listening to the same old ones. Got "younger next year for women" and "Why we get fat and what to do about it". I'll rent some audiobooks from the library before we leave for FL.

barbie - I believe it was you who recommended a book to me called "drop dead". Is the full title "drop dead healthy"? I searched on audible.com and there were a few that said "drop dead" but the one that I'm suspecting you were referring to was "drop dead healthy". Is it?

Lila - have a wonderful trip with dd. You know, those "mommy" hormones are really something. There was a time a while ago, and I can't explain it, but I had this feeling that something was wrong with Denise. I told Vince (who is VERY logical) and he just poo-poo'd it. But that feeling kept gnawing at me. As it turns out, she had pneumonia and wound up in the hospital. But all this happened even before she told us she was sick.

Made some of these spinach bacon tartlets. I like to keep a few appetizers in the freezer just "in case". It's a good thing I do, too. Last time when we went to Mexican train, I was planning to bring these sausage cheese balls. I thought for sure I had enough in the freezer. Imagine my horror when I saw that I didn't. Fortunately, I had some other appetizer in the freezer so I took that instead and will make some balls for the next time we go, which reminds me that I probably should make them before we leave for FL since we'll just be getting back home like the day before Mexican train next month. I'm just starting to get into Downtown Abbey.

Deb - congrats to your son!

So, what are some of the things that people are giving up for Lent? I honestly can't think of something

Amanda - glad your dad is home. Spend as much time with him as you can. Some days I REALLY miss my father.

Jane - so sorry about the funeral. Married 60 years! Boy, that is one great accomplishment. I think my grandparents were married about 60 or 65 years when my grandfather passed away.

Did 20 minutes of yoga today then an hour of the extremepump class. On the way home I stopped at Aldi's since it's on my way, got a few things (not much, that quarter for a cart is such a pain I'd rather go often and just put things in a bag for myself). The appliance guy came, seems there was a recall on our stove. When some people went to turn it off, it didn't turn off. That never happened to us, but we wanted to take care of it anyway. Oh, before he came I cooked up a pound of bacon for Vince in the microwave. After he left I made the spinach bacon tartlets, now they're in the freezer. I've made other things and found that they stick to the top of the filo box. I'm thinking that's because I put the appetizer in the box and then freeze it. But I also put a box or two on top of each other. So this time I'm trying just freezing the tartlets. Tomorrow I'll do some HIIT.

I'm thinking that one reason that stupid Wii guy says "that's overweight" so much is because I've notched down the intensity of my workouts so as not to put a lot of pressure on the achilles. Now that it's better, I'm going to ramp it back up.

Mary - so glad you had such a great time with your mother. Something I know you'll cherish for years to come.

Went to mahjongg tonight and I actually maj'd on a closed hand!!! That's something for me.

Jane in CO - Jason's Deli is a great place. Last time I was there I got the chicken chili. Not only was it filling, but it made me want to drink extra water. Have fun! Say...I'd be willing to take your place going to Mexico...just offering :)

Welcome everyone new

Donna - what is the weather like by you? I agree with barbie -- getting outside helps, as does exercise vigorously (it can even mean just going for a walk). The added benefit is that not only will you take your mind off wanting to eat, you can't eat while walking!

Lin - congrats on the 2 inches off your waist! That's wonderful

Meg - I, too, have a hard time understanding people who don't want their child immunized. I just can't get over it. You know, I've had spaghetti squash and the shiratacki noodles. The other day I had some spaghetti. I could only take one bite and said to myself "how bland"

jmkmomm - walking is good exercise, you know.

Lin - my aunt did fantastic hand quilting. Before her eyesight gave out, she made a quilt for each of my kids and one for our king size bed. I asked her if she could use the top sheet. I didn't realize how difficult it is to sew throught the sheet. I got one for Jessica with dogs and teddy bears on it (she's the one who is the vet tech). She actually wore it out, I had to have someone else make another one for her. I still have the original, the stitches are pulled out and it's faded, but I have it. Gotta ask her where the new one is.

katlia - so glad your friend's cancer was caught!

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele in NC
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Good Evening,

Able to spend time to catch up on all of the posts. Busy day full of errandfs, including a Costco run. Than. Able to go yo the Y.
    Sort of busy today but I was a bit sore so I went to the lazy river part and around and around wish I could do this on dry ground but in time. Found out they offer classes doing exactly that. Sign up looking to trying it.

I. Will be back :wink:
    Need to take my dog for a quick walk.

Liz Caldwell Idaho
  • PositivePower
    PositivePower Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Hi There! Sorry I just can't keep up! I have been missing for a few days and now this thread is almost closed. Hoping I can keep up with the new one. I have been busy with work and stressing waiting for the new job to go through. I got in a good hike on the weekend and Saturday I did TRX then had to go to a funeral for a work friend. I hope I can get back here soon and catch up with you all.

I got my TRX today!!! Excited to take it to class...last saturday the class was full and I almost didn't get a TRX!!! Now that I have my own it should be OK. Michele - I will let you know how it travels... :wink:

EXCITING NEWS...I went to the MELT workshop last week and it was AWESOME. The creator of MELT signed our books and we found out that she will be on the Dr OZ show this friday!!!!!! Dr Oz had her on for today but loved MELT so much he wanted to advertise it all week in hopes more people would see it Friday!!! To get more info you can check it out at Meltmethod.com. It is a great thing which helps with cronic pain, and posture, helps reset your nervous system and even helps with cellulite!!!!!

Set your DVR for Dr Oz Friday the 15th :flowerforyou:

Take Care everyone!!!!
  • LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    ok my post just went into cyberspace!:explode: :explode: :angry: :grumble: My chat with,DeeDee, Barbie,jb , Jane Hadji, Laura 80111and a few others is gone. Whaaaaa.

Back to work for the week. Hitting the gym every other day as this is better for my knee. Ok, so now I am too tired to say anymore. Hope you are all going to have a great week taking good care of yourself. You deserve to be healthy and be happy!

Meg,:flowerforyou: that is nice that your DD has some babysitting to do. Now she can help the little girl. Sounds like it was meant to be! Glad that you are back on the journey, It has been a struggle for me since for the last couple of weeks too. I need my sunshine!

LindaC :flowerforyou: – good for you getting walking in! So, exercise is better than none at all!!! So, pat on the back for you! Keep moving!

Deb::flowerforyou: sinus infections are the worst. Hope you are getting some relief!

Jane inSLC-:flowerforyou: great idea about the egg whites! I like to eat them, but I need to add some color in them. I pour in paprika, otherwise it reminds me of something else that I would rather not mention,,,that drips down from the nose!!!Lol

Ohiomom-:flowerforyou: colonoscopy is no big deal! Just follow the prep instructions and the next day they give you iv meds and you will barely remember a thing. I felt the same way as you before my procedure. I can tell you know that it was “no big deal” Make sure you buy some Vaseline to put on your rear end, to wipe with! You might get a little sore from the cleanse.

Lila,:flowerforyou: have an awesome trip! I will miss your posts! Cant wait until you get back to hear about your trip! I will still hear you every dinner time, get those veggies, more veggies! Lol

Amanda,:flowerforyou: happy your Dad is home!

Michele- :flowerforyou: wow, you are always cooking and moving! I wish I had the time to cook. I would love to sneak some prune puree into some foods, especially for the girls! Lol

Liz- :flowerforyou: do you have a lazy river at the Y? I wish we had one! We have an outdoor pool. The temp is in the high 30’s in the morning. No way am I getting into a pool with the outside air that cold! I am a wimp!

Positive power:flowerforyou: , I will have to check out Dr. Oz this Friday. Sounds, very interesting. I saw him today and he had a lady on that talked about losing weight with out exercise. Some supplements. Very interesting, but I take some of the stuff that Dr. Oz promotes with a grain of salt. Some of the supplements he promotes do not have safety studies on them. So, read up on the things he promotes before you buy them!

Nancy:flowerforyou: , where are you/ last i knew you were downhill skiing!

Log, drink water, move in any way you can! Live in the moment especially if you are struggling! :heart:
    LindaB-aka sundance
  • sunshine61250
    sunshine61250 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Back from Rome finally. I was so sad .... just before we left I had a 3 lb weight gain .... which seemed so odd because I was REALLY trying to do good. Logging every calorie, exercising. Then 13 days in Rome. I walked over 120 miles, ate a sensible breakfast, no snacking (well, 3 times we got gelato) and eating Italian for lunch and dinner. I came back, and I am now down 2 of the 3 lbs I had gained. I was really hoping for all 3 plus more to be gone. :(
  • nanasorchid52
    Options
    Godd morning ladies

Just popped by for a quick fix of VitF.

Off soon for a family swim for my GS 1st birthday. How time flies! He is my darling 5th GC 1 boy & 4 girls. After 4 beautiful girls he was quite a surprise, especially as I have two daughters . Haven't worn a cosisie for a long time and I was surprised - I feel good in it. Strange but my image of me is still at my higher weight .

:smile: Renate - don't be down. Everyday is a new start - believe in yourself you can do it!

:smile: Linder - well done on the lost inches! It is easy to get fixed on numbers not measurements isn't it?

:smile: Megblair - You have such a kind heart for others, so be kind to yourself . You have just taken a little detour on your journey, now you are back on the right road. You have had a great weight loss.

:smile: Jmkmomm- Welcome - i too am glad I found this thread.

:smile: Sasha - Just exhausted reading your post! Thinking of all the calories you burnt!

I wish I had time to mention a few others but I must dash. Have a good Shrove Tuesday. Hoping to limit my pancakes to one? Well........

:drinker: Jo :cry::drinker:
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    50ishfoodie
    Big big salad. I make quiche in muffin tins. Then freeze them. Two and breakfat is ready.

Sasha
    Deal with the colonoscopy early detection saves lives. Imagine I had my first one without the relaxation hlep. Now I find them a breeze. I plan on showing off my first quilt.

Michele
    Your books sound interesting.
    Giving up candy and chocolate. Can't have them anyway. Or shouldn't.
    The quilt i'm working on is a girl in long flaired out skirt and umbrella and embroidered and not two squares the same colour.
    Lots of work hope it will be appreciated.

Liz
    Wish I could do the pool but I just can't in winter my skin gets to dry and itchy.
    No matter how much cream I use.

Linda S
    The recipe for this journey. Move more eat less.

Jo
    We have rented the pool for birthday's makes for beautiful memories.
    Great family days.

Well was up at 4:30 It's going on six. Haven't been here all that time but a good part of it. Now going to go do some quilting. Darn if I don't have a pucker to undo. Undo is my middle name.
    So getting up at that time will definantly be called to nap after coffee today. Talk about coffee I should make the fella's at the Legion a coffee cake maybe I will.

Take care and I'll try and keep up
    See you all lighter
    Linda C from Northern Ontario.
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Hope everyone is doing well today! I`ve had a headache since yesterday morning:grumble: , maybe walking, running and exercising in the rain yesterday wasn`t a good thing:frown: ! Oh well, got it done and at least my body feels better than my head!

I have an early morning appt. today so must go get my shower now. I would love to respond the way I used to, I just can`t seem to find the time anymore:sad: ! I have read all the posts and I`m wishing you all the best!!! Maybe one of these days I`ll slow down enough to get back here more than once a day!

Have a wonderful Tuesday!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC where we have a day of no rain today:happy:
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I just now found this thread/ I hope it's OK to join in this late in the game. I am 62, have MS so I am limited in some things. So far the only weight I can lift is my 213 pound body off the couch to take a walk.

That's great - keep walking! Every little bit helps, even just running errands "counts". Stay positive, and have a terrific day!

Brooke from Colorado
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,953 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: BJ, one of the greatest things I learned on MFP was how to ask for what I want at a restaurant and, if necessary, order a la carte or offer to pay extra for substitutions…I still prefer eating at home….but a getaway with DH is worth the restaurant eating that goes along with it.

:flowerforyou: Meg, one of the resolutions I remember from “The Happiness Project” was “suffer for 15 minutes every day”…..she was talking about completing a project that she didn’t want to do, but she knew it would make her happier to have it finished so she resolved to work on it for 15 minutes every day
    you can do anything for 15 minutes that would appall you to have to have to do for longer---congrats on finishing that next chapter

:flowerforyou: Jmkmomm, welcome, we’re glad you’re here……getting up and walking is a giant step toward health and weight loss….walking is good for your whole body and can be done almost anywhere.

:flowerforyou: LindaC. I have an Omron pedometer that I ordered through Amazon that is good about counting my steps…maybe you could save up for a new one and put it on your wish list for someone wants to buy you a gift

:flowerforyou: Michele, the book I recommended is "Drop Dead Healthy, One Man's Humble Quest for Bodily Perfection" by A.J. Jacobs......I am listening to it on CD in my car and loving every minute of it.

:flowerforyou: I’m up early this morning because Jake had to pick up his friend at 3:30 to drive to Seattle…..he offered to close the door so I could go back to sleep but once I wake up, I don’t go back to sleep. The dogs have had their short walk, I’ve had breakfast (Isagenix chocolate shake with walnuts), a dose of Vitamin F reading your posts, and will soon leash up the dogs for the two hour walk before heading to a meeting that starts at 7 AM……then I have the house to myself all day ………I love Jake, but I love these rare days when he’s gone and I’m home alone (except for Brandy, Sasha, and Bernie):bigsmile:

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Wow I've missed a lot. I've been putting in a lot of extra hours at work and my DH is sick so has needed some extra TLC (since I probably gave it to him its only fair - he's a lot sicker than I was too).

:smile: I am finally starting to see the scale move down - YEAH. DH was speaking to DD on the phone and mentioned how he is easily losing while I was frustrated with my very very very slow progress. Her response: of course it will take me longer I'm a woman 50+. Its all about the hormones. Just keep reminding yourself to be patient. It might be slow, but it will eventually come off

On the colonoscopy - I tried to avoid it too...they found a polup and removed it so a good thing I finally listened to the doc. All is well, but it is good to follow through with all your screenings. Follow all the advise given here on the prep: stick to the directions. I found very cold helped it go down a bit easier. Try a straw and plug your nose - glup it down fast. Make sure you are set up with reading material and soft TP. Just remember it is only a small blip in time to get through and for a good cause.

I don't know when I'll be able to spend any time catching up with all these posts so wishing all you wonderful ladies (and man if you are still with us) a fantastic day.:heart:
    Jodios
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Good morning all,

DH finally hooked up the DVD player in the basement. I have several exercise DVD's and started with a strength training one today. There are five 20 minute routines. I am going to do a different one each time. I am starting with 2 pound weights, as I did some work with 5 pound weights last week and hurt myself. I know, I'm a wimp. I could follow most of the routine except for the push-ups. I can only do about three (and not very well, I might add). :embarassed: Hopefully, I'll be able to work up to it.

:devil: Brooke - I just added an HRM to my wish list on Amazon, and now I'm going to add a pedometer. That wish list is getting LONG!

:flowerforyou: Donna - We all have those days, but I know you can do this! Hopefully, tomorrow will be better.

:grumble: Barbie - Thanks for the advice, and I do dress warmly, but sometimes I feel like no matter what I do, I can't get warm. I am SO ready for summer!

:smile: Lin - Congrats on losing those all important inches! That is, after all, the goal, right?

:wink: BJ - I par-cook the brussel sprouts in the microwave (microwavable steamer) and then sautee them with a little olive oil, garlic, salt & pepper to taste, and a dash of red pepper flakes......yummy!

:flowerforyou: Meg - Congrats on sticking with it and getting back on track. I know you can do this!

:happy: Lila - You sound like me before a trip...lol Just enjoy yourself!

:heart: Michele - I've given up food items for Lent before (chocolate, ice cream, etc.), but I think I'm going to try something different this year. This was a forum topic, and someone on there wrote that they would do a random act of kindness every day during Lent. I loved that idea, and might steal it for myself.

:smile: PositivePower - Thanks for the heads-up on Dr. Oz this Friday. I'll make sure to set the DVR to record this show.

:drinker: Sunshine - WOW! Who goes on vacation and comes back lighter? Kudos to you!!!

:huh: Nanaorchid52 - What is a cosisie?

:sick: DeeDee - A morning headache is such a drag. I hope you feel better soon.

I feel extra hungry today, but I'm not going to let it get the best of me. Drinking my water......:drinker:

Hugs,
    Lucy in Delaware:bigsmile:
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :drinker: It's another busy Tuesday,

Still playing catch up. There are almost 500 posts:noway: and we will be looking at Part 2 for February and not even two weeks for this month...we are a chatty group:wink:

Will try and catch up on the reading at lunch. Until then everyone have a great day don't forget to drink your water:drinker:

Laura 80111 in Colorado:smile:
  • fiferize
    fiferize Posts: 141
    Options
    I want to be part of this group, but don't have time right now to say much cuz I am at work. Please someone remember me and maybe add me so I can get back to this.....I am a 50 year old woman and my birthday is in February. I only did a quick scan of what you all said, you look like my kind of people. Thank you!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Michelle in NC: I never understood the practice of giving up something for Lent very well. :huh: My grandma was Catholic, and if she gave up anything for Lent, I don’t know what it was. No one talked about it. I have a friend who gives up smoking and wine for Lent every year. I think it makes her feel like she’s not really addicted and that she’s in control of her life. :noway: I don’t care about the wine but I wish she’d give up the smoking permanently. And I do think she’s addicted.:grumble: I’m thinking about giving up sugar in my coffee for Lent. If I decide I like coffee well enough without sugar, I might make it permanent. On a happier and less judgmental note I’m glad your Achilles is healed enough so you can ramp up your workouts again.:bigsmile:

Meg: Congratulations on finishing your chapter!:bigsmile:

Linda C: I love the idea of making quiche in muffin tins. This could be a great way to feed the family breakfast when all the kids descend on us. I hope it happens again soon.:bigsmile:

Barbie: Enjoy your day at home.:flowerforyou:

Re Dr Oz: I think he is a vampire.:devil: He preys on people with self-image and weight problems and sucks money out of them by promoting questionable and useless products. :tongue: I’m sure he gets the money from sponsors or ratings, and not directly from the viewers, but I still consider him a vampire. I guess this is my morning to be judgmental all the way around.:frown: Sorry I'm being offensive. :blushing: Here is a peace offering: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

We finally finished refinancing our house, for the umpteenth time. We are lowering our payment and our interest rate, but we now owe more than we paid in the first place because we lumped cars and boats into past refi’s. I’d be happy for a do-over on those decisions, but what is done is done.:wink:

I just saw the random acts of kindness during Lent idea, and I love the idea. :heart: :heart: I 'm going to try to do a random act of kindness at least once a week, and hopefully more.

Katla in NW Oregon
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Nothing new here today -- I hope everyone's day is off to a fabulous start! I'm having my author reception on Saturday, and am trying to decide what to serve. Most of the guests won't be on a diet. If anyone has any great appetizer recipes, please send them along!

Lin – 2 inches off! Good for you!!! :flowerforyou:

BJ – I just love your rhyming words, and have missed seeing them lately. Have a great time on your getaway and enjoy yourself!

Meg – Congrats on getting your chapter finished, and also on getting back on track! You’ve caught it before it got too out-of-hand, and that’s the important part. Meeting with the adoptive parents sounded fun. Glad your water drinking is so much better! Things are the same with hubby and son.

Michele – I’ll pass your offer to go to Mexico in my place on to my hubby! I’m sure he’d be thrilled, as he’s tired of me. And you even cook! LOL :bigsmile: I watched Season 1 of Downton Abbey on Netflix, but they don’t have the other seasons yet. I should check at the library.

Positive Power – What’s a TRX? I haven’t heard of Melt, either, so I guess I’m just behind the times!

Linda Sundance -- I’m sorry to have missed your post. Don’t you just hate it when cyberspace swallows them up? It’s so annoying! :grumble: Glad to hear that your exercise is going well. Every other day at the gym sounds great to me!

DeeDee – I hope your headache is better by now. That’s great that your training is going so well!

Katia – I love the random acts of kindness idea, as well, and am trying to incorporate it into my life as I find the opportunities.

Jane in Colorado
  • nanasorchid52
    Options
    Sorry for confusion - cosisie slang for swimming costume! :smile: :smile: Jo
  • linddavis
    Options
    I want to be part of this group, but don't have time right now to say much cuz I am at work. Please someone remember me and maybe add me so I can get back to this.....I am a 50 year old woman and my birthday is in February. I only did a quick scan of what you all said, you look like my kind of people. Thank you!

Welcome... your profile pic. is adorable!! Turned 50 in Sept. Happy Birthday to you~
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy tues.Friend had surgery and is in the recovery room.Wish she wasn`t so far away.She`s in Minn.And I`m in Il.
    A Violet day.Made grandpa cinnamon rolls,working on laundry,mopped kitchen floor and made some valentines for mom and dad.
    Have a great day!
    HUGs
    jane
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,109 Member
    Options
    Moving on? Wow, we are really talking this month.

Lin