Why are people so mean?!

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    There are some legit arguments here. But a lot of what you're seeing is just back and forth between friends.

A lot more of what you see is people trying to keep misinformation from going unchecked in the forums. If they just ignore a thread full of incorrect info then it's as good as saying that info is correct.

Often when someone is disputing incorrect info, they aren't just or even primarily doing it for the OP's benefit. It's for the people lurking who may not realize that a source isn't reliable, or that a practice isn't healthy.

Don't you think it's worth a little arguing to make sure that you're getting correct information?
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    People are mean - in person and on the internet - it is just easier to be mean when you are bascially anonymous.

There is nothing we can do about it except make use of that ignore button. Focus on the positive!!
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Because people are Aholes. ((shrugs))
  • Amethyst_91
    Options
    When the site was first started, the founders wanted it to be called Mean Fat People.

Marketing thought this was a bad idea, but, thanks to a dedicated group of hired trolls, the original essence lives on.

Omg, this is beautiful. Whoever posted this, you're a wonderful person!

xx
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    :smokin:
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I just keep wondering why people don't take advantage of the ignore button. If you don't like the way someone responds to posts, just hit that little triangle next to their username, select "ignore" and POOF, no more posts by that person. Easy, and no need for whiny "everyone is so mean to me" posts.

I second this notion!
  • AlohaKeAkua
    Options
    Thanks for understanding!! I'm a teacher and see how students are mean to each other all the time and make comments bc it makes them feel bigger. I guess it never stops!
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    People are mean because Americans have been brainwashed by the media for the last 50 years to believe that if you're mean, you're strong and will endure. Not true you silly Americans. Your patriotism lacks humanity.

:laugh:

Wait for the sh1t storm mate!
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I just keep wondering why people don't take advantage of the ignore button. If you don't like the way someone responds to posts, just hit that little triangle next to their username, select "ignore" and POOF, no more posts by that person. Easy, and no need for whiny "everyone is so mean to me" posts.
    I didn't even know it was there! Good tip! Thanks! Ignoring you in 5, 4, 3, ... :bigsmile:

LOL, go for it :) Glad I could share the tip with people! It certainly made my forum experience better when I could just get rid of people who bugged me. No need to even let that stuff come on my radar.

Although, ignoring does leave a little box where the person's posts are that says "you are ignoring this user." It takes a while to lose the temptation to see what they posted.
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Like in all parts of life there will be mean people and nice ones.
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    When the site was first started, the founders wanted it to be called Mean Fat People.

Marketing thought this was a bad idea, but, thanks to a dedicated group of hired trolls, the original essence lives on.

Omg, this is beautiful. Whoever posted this, you're a wonderful person!

xx

:drinker:
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

I like you! This made me crack up.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    1510804093_YouMustBeNewHere_vi_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Why are people so hypersensitive?
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

[/quote

Ha ha very good!
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    People are mean because Americans have been brainwashed by the media for the last 50 years to believe that if you're mean, you're strong and will endure. Not true you silly Americans. Your patriotism lacks humanity.

Death to America!?
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Why are people so hypersensitive?

Word.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Peeps be douches.
  • Cocoapuff717
    Options
    Totally agree with this post. I saw one thread where someone asked for help on a question and all she got back where insulting comments and rudeness. In 5 or 6 pages of responses, maybe 4 people answered her question in a helpful way. Sad that people can't find other ways to make themselves feel special. (Never knew the ignore button thing! Thanks!)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

Oh yeah, only Americans are mean. Not anyone else. Never.