Why are people so mean?!

Options

Replies

• skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Why do people keep making 'mean people' posts....where have you been all your life?
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    To quote Avenue Q: "The Internet is very, very great ...."
  • CoachJameyJ
    Options
    People are mean because Americans have been brainwashed by the media for the last 50 years to believe that if you're mean, you're strong and will endure. Not true you silly Americans. Your patriotism lacks humanity.

Oh yeah, only Americans are mean. Not anyone else. Never.
  • CoachJameyJ
    Options
    Nope. Just you Baby... Just you.
  • CityGirl129
    Options
    I agree! Let's help each other - no need for 'negative' comments- let's remain positive:)
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Finally! Something truly original in the forums. I was getting fatigued by using the same "use the search feature" response.
  • Melissakay1222
    Melissakay1222 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more! Seems like even if you post a recipe idea . . . you get negativity from people trying to criticize your idea or bashing you because it has 5 more calories than what you thought it had! It's simple . . . if you don't like it, move on and don't make it!

I hope you have a wonderful Wednesday! ;)
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I put on my big girl panties before I come to the boards. Some people are just rude. If internet strangers hurt your feelings you have 'bigger fish to fry'. Just ignore and move on.

^^yes
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Why do people keep making 'mean people' posts....where have you been all your life?

THIS! Do you live in a cave?
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    People are mean because Americans have been brainwashed by the media for the last 50 years to believe that if you're mean, you're strong and will endure. Not true you silly Americans. Your patriotism lacks humanity.

Oh yeah, only Americans are mean. Not anyone else. Never.

We get the same television programing as the USA in Canada, explain that one! Please and thank you.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Thanks for understanding!! I'm a teacher and see how students are mean to each other all the time and make comments bc it makes them feel bigger. I guess it never stops!

I know....it's shocking and sad isn't it? I just feel sorry for these people, if this is all they have to make them feel good. But I do agree, you would think adults would know better.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    LOL...I stopped asking "why" (when it comes to human behavior) a LONG time ago.
  • AlohaKeAkua
    Options
    Out in the world treating people with respect
  • Lanette67
    Options
    Some people are just unhappy...I always try to remember hurting people, hurt people.
    By the way, I took her advice and POOF she was gone :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I thought MFP was supposed to help motivate and push each other. I've seen so many nice comments back and forth between people and dishing out tons of encouragment. On the flip side, it is SO discouraging when people post things and are followed up with negative or harsh responses. This is not Twitter, or Facebook (where negativety and cyber bullying is everywhere). This is a place to help each other. Even if you don't agree with what people say, why bother putting in the effort to bring them down and be rude?! Not everybody has the same workout routines, times to eat, things to eat, life circumstances and so forth. Don't tear people down bc you don't agree with that they are saying. That is all :wink:
    Spread love, not anger!
    There is such a thing as refuting bad advice that is not agreed with and that opposing advice actually has clinical study to back it up.

IE. "Don't eat after 7pm because all that food will turn into fat if you don't burn it off"

Refutation: Clinical study can prove that there is no "time" that one has to cease from eating. Weight is gained due to over consumption of calories regardless of time food is being eaten.

So should one be silent when the first statement is being spread around as fact?

For most people that take offense to opposition, it's more a perspective thing, than a personal thing.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I think its maybe cuz its like giving up any habit for someone like giving up smoking or whatever. when people aren't used to dieting it makes them feel like their starving and cranky and people never like giving up the things they love like frosted donuts and high calorie lattes. So they take out their frustration with that and wanting quick results where they can hopefully never intentionally. Or they just have had a stressed day and take it out on the computer without thinking. We live in a world where people are taught to solve things and to make quick decisions people aren't taught to sit back and think or just sit bk and listen. But sometimes people are the better friends when they do that. And sometimes it can just be the nature of the question people may flat out ask for a response where people can't think of an easy way to answer it without being point blank. I try my best to be positive to people and give them the most positive helpful answers I can. But i'm sure alot of it on here prob is just people that are cranky cuz they are wanting sugar.
  • CoachJameyJ
    Options
    Also. Most people who are unhappy with themselves, are mean. Aaaand this site has many of those.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    DEALWITHIT_zps6ecf427e.gif
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    It's sad. I do like the ignore function on my newsfeed (although I rarely use it - I just delete people), but it doesn't work as well in the forums because if you ignore, other comments are either out of context or the "quote" them anyway... so if you want to reply to a thread and read the responses, you have to try to skip the morons. And sometimes a snarky comment in one thread is because someone is having a bad day, not necessarily that they never have anything to add of value.

It's easy for people to be pushy and mean online behind their computer screens. Especially those that won't even put up a picture of themselves. I also think some folks are unaware that when people post questions or responses (and yes, there is such a thing as a DUMB question, but I defend the rights of people who post them) are from REAL people that may be struggling a LOT... and that flippant responses and "mere" words can hurt. For some, this is their only source of support in something that is very personal... and it's a shame the meanies are inclined to shroud their callousness in "sarcasm" or "humor." Debate and arguement are not at risk - you can do both and still be polite.

For the most part, the people who's opinion I care about are in my friends list. So when I do post on the forum, I find it pretty easy to ignore the doofuses. I've seen others who haven't been as successful at that, I feel sorry. It's not kind and it's not helpful... but I don't see it changing anytime soon.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    OMG did a genie put a curse on you too?? Where you have to take everything people say to heart?