Woman died from drinking 10 liters of Coke a day.

Options

Replies

• mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    We use Coke at the scene of an accident to clean the blood off of the road, It corrodes pennies, removes grease stains from clothing and fabric, removes blood stains from clothes, cleans oil stains from a garage floor, you can clean car battery terminals by pouring a small amount of Coke over each one, it will strip paint off metal furniture, etc.

Drinking 10L a day is ridiculous. I am sorry (go ahead and hate me) but I truly have no remorse for people that do this to themselves. Addiction is real yes, this is similar to someone addicted to a hard drug but do we put a story on the TV every time someone dies from overdosing? no.

I feel bad for the children who were put in this situation and have to suffer the consequences.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Damn if I drank 2.5 gallons of milk a day, I'd die too.......................of gastrointesinal issues.:laugh:

While I'm sure the soda played a significant part in her health, there were other factors that attributed to her demise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    If she smoked 30 cigarettes per day, didn't eat very well

I guess my thing is, you don't typically die at the age of 30 from these two things. My uncle died of similar problems at 45. So maybe the extreme cola intake hastened what was already the inevitable, if she didn't make other lifestyle choices.

Tell you what, though, my uncle dying in his 40s from being a fat, lazy smoker sure as heck got me and my cousin a wake up call and started us on our weightloss/healthier lives, since we were on the same path.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    That is more than 40 8oz cups of coke in a day.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    She died from Hypokalemia, or severe Potassium deficiency. In her case it was caused be excess Potassium loss from the body rather than a dietary deficiency. It is believed that in these instances the Potassium loss is caused by the diuretic effect of caffeine, and high intake of fluids, although diarrhea (as her partner mentioned), caused by heavy fructose intake, is also believed to be a contributing factor.

So basically, nothing here points to colas per se, as being unhealthy. The same could have happened from too much coffee, or even too much water for that matter. This was more of a dependency issue than a dietary issue.

read a little closer. she was living off the calories from the coke. she was barely eating.
  • DebbiesDay
    Options
    It really bothers me to read how many people feel no pity. No one is perfect, we all have something that someone else will not agree with. Condemning someone can lead a person to hide their addiction and not get help.
  • DaSavedSinner
    DaSavedSinner Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I can down a 60oz no ice DIET cola on a car ride....but I can also down large amounts of liquid...such as 1 or 2 liters of water as a chug lol
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    We use Coke at the scene of an accident to clean the blood off of the road, It corrodes pennies, removes grease stains from clothing and fabric, removes blood stains from clothes, cleans oil stains from a garage floor, you can clean car battery terminals by pouring a small amount of Coke over each one, it will strip paint off metal furniture, etc.
    Calling BS on this one.
  • mzjessicaxo
    Options
    Calling BS on this one.

None of it is BS thank you.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options

read a little closer. she was living off the calories from the coke. she was barely eating.
    Read it, reread it. I didn't see anything that said she was barely eating. Only that she had hypokalemia and had lost er teeth.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Man dies from drinking too much water:
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-17/bushwalker-dies-after-drinking-too-much-water/4265296

I find that one much more disturbing.

Years ago I remember reading about a woman who drank so much water she literally washed her ovaries away.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    ^ The floor cleaners at the grocery store I worked at used Coke to clean the built up wax off the floor when they moved the endcap displays.

And using any carbonated beverage will work to clean battery terminals.....although I used club soda instead of something with sugar in it.

But yeah, no sympathy for her from me. Or for her family (except maybe the kids).

And based on pictures I've seen, she wasn't overweight.

Heck, drinking that much water in a day while not eating anything could kill you.

And just think, that much cola in a day is akin to eating over two pounds of sugar each and every day......ugh. I feel sick.
  • mzjessicaxo
    Options
    ^ The floor cleaners at the grocery store I worked at used Coke to clean the built up wax off the floor when they moved the endcap displays.

And using any carbonated beverage will work to clean battery terminals.....although I used club soda instead of something with sugar in it.

But yeah, no sympathy for her from me. Or for her family (except maybe the kids).

And based on pictures I've seen, she wasn't overweight.

Heck, drinking that much water in a day while not eating anything could kill you.

And just think, that much cola in a day is akin to eating over two pounds of sugar each and every day......ugh. I feel sick.

Thank you! Some folks are just uneducated and naive :)
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    It really bothers me to read how many people feel no pity. No one is perfect, we all have something that someone else will not agree with. Condemning someone can lead a person to hide their addiction and not get help.

My mother used to drink a 12 pack of coke a day, and live off of Twizzlers (back in the 80's).
    To her a vegetable is an iceberg lettuce side salad. Dinners are usually beef, maybe chicken or pork, and maybe 1 to 2x a year...fish.

Do you think she gets any sympathy from me for her health related woes that can be tied to her diet? Nope. (Bad teeth, type II diabetes, high bp, weight, joint issues)

Why should I give some stranger any sympathy?

There is too much information out there with the internet to allow for stupidity anymore (unless of course you are one of the people who only use one information source...then there's just no helping you)
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Anything in excess is bad but WOW.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    His mother, Vivienne Hodgkinson, told the inquest all Ms Harris' teeth were rotten and had been pulled out. Some of her children were born without enamel on their teeth.

Raise your hand if you believe that infants are born with teeth.

my daughter was born with 2 teeth.
  • zimmera
    zimmera Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    That is ALOT of pop to drink in a day - holy smokes! I feel bad for her family, she was very young.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I had a friend back in high school who was addicted to coke. He HATED pepsi and would not drink anything else...just coke. anywhere from 4-6 liters a day. It was sick, and his teeth were rotting, by now I am sure they will need to be pulled out.

I did research on this as my profession is addiction counselling. Coke addiction can be linked to ADD/ADHD or Autism. I let my friend know this, though I had not talked to him for years...but he looked up adhd/autism...and a lot of the red flags were there. His family had actually thought he did have autism as a child, but never bothered to get proper help for him.
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I'm going to call bullsh!t on this one. COD was cardiac arrest from lack of potassium, so I am going to assume her diet contributed to her death also, not just her soda drinking habit. Pop does not kill.

Then you haven't done any research have you. It does kill in high quanities. Her diet decreased because of the lack of potasium attributed from her addiction to soda.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    This is from a more local article:

Ms Harris' partner, Christopher Hodgkinson, told the inquest that in the six months before her death she had "no energy and was feeling sick all the time".

"She would get up and vomit in the morning." She smoked about 30 cigarettes a day and hardly ate, sometimes eating only a snack at lunch. But Ms Harris always needed Coke, Mr Hodgkinson said.

He said if it was not available Ms Harris would "get the shakes, withdrawal symptoms, be angry, on edge and snappy".

His mother, Vivienne Hodgkinson, told the inquest all Ms Harris' teeth were rotten and had been pulled out. Some of her children were born without enamel on their teeth.

Warning labels of bottles is not going to help people in this situation. If the addict cannot see the wood for the trees their family and friends should have taken her to a doctor for help.

I'm not advocating consuming that much sugar in a day...but it seems kind of misleading to just say she died because of coke. If someone's overweight, and happens to eat a lot of doughnuts, usually the coroner doesn't peg it to "dying from an overdose of doughnuts". Also she smoked 30 cigarettes a day? And was who knows how overweight? And ate who knows what? And had 8 children one of which had some birth defects? Everyone pointing to the coke in all these articles seems to be missing the big picture. Sounds like she had a lot of problems, and coke was just one of them.

You have it correct. The soda didn't kill her. It is an association, not a causation.

You can also apply this to:
    Meat causes colon cancer (what makes it to your colon is beans, grains, and vegetables. Meat is broken down in the stomach and small intestines (gut)
    cigarettes cause lung cancer
    saturated fat and cholesterol cause heart disease (this one is about as false as you can get - if anything sat fat and cholesterol protects your heart since both are critical to life and health).
    Fat is fattening.
    And so on...and so on...

She got what she got. I don't feel sorry for her. I have a sugar addiction. It is very, very real. (Interesting that I also have a nasty diabetic predisposition. I'm a 110lb pre-diabetic that can't reverse the damage but has stopped diabetes in its tracks). But I still don't feel sorry for her. She was a grown up.