Woman died from drinking 10 liters of Coke a day.

Options
12346»

Replies

• Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    the lady was drinking over 2.5 gallons a day! YIKES!

Out of curiosity I logged that- if I did the math right 2.5 Gallons = 320 Oonces = 3640 Calories = 1014 Carbs all from Coke.
  • debzv
    debzv Posts: 23
    Options
    His mother, Vivienne Hodgkinson, told the inquest all Ms Harris' teeth were rotten and had been pulled out. Some of her children were born without enamel on their teeth.

Raise your hand if you believe that infants are born with teeth.

I hear you, and you made me laugh. But I think its when the teeth came through that they discovered there were problems....Hopefully.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    This is from a more local article:

Ms Harris' partner, Christopher Hodgkinson, told the inquest that in the six months before her death she had "no energy and was feeling sick all the time".

"She would get up and vomit in the morning." She smoked about 30 cigarettes a day and hardly ate, sometimes eating only a snack at lunch. But Ms Harris always needed Coke, Mr Hodgkinson said.

He said if it was not available Ms Harris would "get the shakes, withdrawal symptoms, be angry, on edge and snappy".

His mother, Vivienne Hodgkinson, told the inquest all Ms Harris' teeth were rotten and had been pulled out. Some of her children were born without enamel on their teeth.

Warning labels of bottles is not going to help people in this situation. If the addict cannot see the wood for the trees their family and friends should have taken her to a doctor for help.

I'm not advocating consuming that much sugar in a day...but it seems kind of misleading to just say she died because of coke. If someone's overweight, and happens to eat a lot of doughnuts, usually the coroner doesn't peg it to "dying from an overdose of doughnuts". Also she smoked 30 cigarettes a day? And was who knows how overweight? And ate who knows what? And had 8 children one of which had some birth defects? Everyone pointing to the coke in all these articles seems to be missing the big picture. Sounds like she had a lot of problems, and coke was just one of them.

You have it correct. The soda didn't kill her. It is an association, not a causation.

You can also apply this to:
    Meat causes colon cancer (what makes it to your colon is beans, grains, and vegetables. Meat is broken down in the stomach and small intestines (gut)
    cigarettes cause lung cancer
    saturated fat and cholesterol cause heart disease (this one is about as false as you can get - if anything sat fat and cholesterol protects your heart since both are critical to life and health).
    Fat is fattening.
    And so on...and so on...

She got what she got. I don't feel sorry for her. I have a sugar addiction. It is very, very real. (Interesting that I also have a nasty diabetic predisposition. I'm a 110lb pre-diabetic that can't reverse the damage but has stopped diabetes in its tracks). But I still don't feel sorry for her. She was a grown up.

Nothing more to add....both posts are spot on
  • The_Gruffalo
    Options
    I can say now i was addicted to coca cola and could easy drink 6 to 8 liters a day with no bother,Went cold turkey and cut it all out and not had drop in over 2 months and feel so much better for it
  • girlfromOklahoma
    girlfromOklahoma Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    According to my math, this is over 2.64 gallons of soda PER DAY!! I have been struggling to drink 8 8 oz glasses of water everyday. Alot of that is simply because 64 oz is a lot to consume in a 24 hour period. This lady was consuming 338 oz of soda per day. I don't even know how that's humanly possible!! I don't think I could do this if I tried. Honestly, I think if someone drank 338oz of water every single day, that'd probably kill them too.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I will say this, i read this story a while back.

Now, I will say this: i still drink diet pepsi. Reason is I was colicky as a baby and no amount of medicine the doctors gave was enough. Well, my mom being the person she was diluted down some, put it into my bottle and gave it to me, and voila. Well 24 years later, i am fighting it and every time i try to stop it only gets worse as far as the withdrawal symptoms. I go one day without and i am a zombie to a point where sometimes I have to drag myself out of bed.

Have i binged on it before? yes, but I am a lot better then i use to be. There were days where i could down a 24 pack in a day (and somehow never threw up) but i find when i am really stressed out, instead of food, i drink the soda. Not the best habit. Unfortunately i had an episode of it recently where i went through an entire 12 pack in a day (not proud of it :grumble: ) and i felt crappy afterwards. I felt even worse when I had to go 2 days without it.

Point being: i know I am addicted to it, but I also drink water and eat. Did the coke contribute to her death? well yes it did. But poor diet, no exercise will also kill you in the long run. Because of my mom's mistake, I am making sure that our son will never taste soda.
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Another thing - I believe the coke recipe in NZ is a bit different from what you have in the US. This is because NZ coke is manufactured nearer in Auckland, NZ or imported from Australia and they change the recipe slightly for different regions depending on local tastes and ingredients - NZ coke is made with cane sugar - yours is made with beet sugar, so is more surupy? There are more lax limits on the amount of caffeine that can be added to soda drinks in NZ than in the US (the last I heard at least - and she died back in 2010 anyway), so all the soda drinks here are a tad more addictive than elsewhere. Just saying.

Actually, most (if not all) of US sodas are sweetened with high fructose corn syrup. But let's NOT get started down that road!
  • tinythoughts
    tinythoughts Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We use Coke at the scene of an accident to clean the blood off of the road, It corrodes pennies, removes grease stains from clothing and fabric, removes blood stains from clothes, cleans oil stains from a garage floor, you can clean car battery terminals by pouring a small amount of Coke over each one, it will strip paint off metal furniture, etc.

Drinking 10L a day is ridiculous. I am sorry (go ahead and hate me) but I truly have no remorse for people that do this to themselves. Addiction is real yes, this is similar to someone addicted to a hard drug but do we put a story on the TV every time someone dies from overdosing? no.

I feel bad for the children who were put in this situation and have to suffer the consequences.

Lmao why do people bring these urban legends up every single time soda comes up as a topic? http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    We use Coke at the scene of an accident to clean the blood off of the road, It corrodes pennies, removes grease stains from clothing and fabric, removes blood stains from clothes, cleans oil stains from a garage floor, you can clean car battery terminals by pouring a small amount of Coke over each one, it will strip paint off metal furniture, etc.

Drinking 10L a day is ridiculous. I am sorry (go ahead and hate me) but I truly have no remorse for people that do this to themselves. Addiction is real yes, this is similar to someone addicted to a hard drug but do we put a story on the TV every time someone dies from overdosing? no.

I feel bad for the children who were put in this situation and have to suffer the consequences.

Lmao why do people bring these urban legends up every single time soda comes up as a topic? http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp

Its funnier to LMAO at the fact you have a private profile and you refer to yourself as "tinythoughts". If you read the article you posted it's not saying that any of those things are false, they are showing what people have claimed to use them for. "household uses" just like you could use a maxi pad to clean up spilled milk I will continue to use soda to clean battery terminals if need be. Thing's can have more than one purpose. Ignorance is bliss though.
  • nokittyno
    nokittyno Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I think...

I understand addiction, most of us - if not ALL people have one, be it minor, major - medical, physical, tangible and superficial ... so we can all relate; however, not to this extreme of circumstances. I agree she may have literally drank herself into an early grave - but the issue for me is it's just sad, not just for her family, but for the loss of a life. Sometimes I think we sensationalize things a little too much (well, ALOT much) and forget the little important things that however hot a topic this is, a life is lost, and had impacted those around her.

R.I.P and I hope she does well wherever she may be now.
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    So maybe I'm a horrible person, but I really have no sympathy for her. You cannot honestly tell me that she didn't know how horrible soda is. It's EVERYWHERE. Dentists, doctors, weight campaigns... They have video of coke getting the rust off of pennies, of how it'll eat an eggshell overnight.

It's like an avid smoker getting lung cancer. You did it to yourself.

I feel bad for her family, but I also think its ridiculous that they didn't step in. That's like if someone were eating nothing but oreos for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It's OBVIOUSLY unhealthy.

I am a former smoker. Been smoke free for 2 months now...and believe me the hardest thing is breaking an additiction. Especially to a drug, which in her case is caffine. You have to want to quit in order to quit. Her family could have stepped in all they wanted, but until you make the decision to quit it won't work. Same concept is used with us here. We WANT to get healthy. In order of this to work you have to want it, 100%.

I understand that it's hard to break an addiction, and that you can be addicted to anything. However, if it was actually caffeine that she was addicted to, then coffee, tea, and any other drink that has caffeine in it could have been used as a weaning source off of coke. If she was so addicted that she had withdrawals because of it, it was obviously affecting her in a bad way.
    I just still have no sympathy for a woman who essentially killed herself. And I think its stupid as hell that she did it, and that her family continued to allow her to have coke in the house.

As an adult she didn't need permisson to keep coke in her house.
    Saying her family should have stepped in or stopped her is just wrong. Nothing her family did would have helped her unless she wanted to help herself. They could have dragged her to a million doctors, they could have tipped out the coke every day, they could have got counseling/psychology for her addictions. They could have yelled and screamed until the cows came home, they could have begged and pleaded. None of it would have made a difference.

I know because I have tried all of them to try to get my husband over his alcohol, gambling and smoking and in 5 years not once have I managed to make a difference, not even leaving made a difference. The person with an addiction needs to want to change before change can happen.

If you don't have any money available, or don't have any coke in the house to drink.... then you obviously can't drink it. I'm not in any way blaming the family for what happened, but there was NO talk of any sort of trying to get her to stop. And I think that's stupid.
    And I'm sorry about your husband's addiction, but not every person is the same. You don't know what will trigger a person's understanding that their actions have consquences and that they need to stop. Yelling, screaming, dumping it out COULD have made a difference. If they didn't try, then they'll never know.