Non gym goers, show me your results!

Options

Replies

• SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    One of the best threads I've seen on MFP in ages. I've wasted thousands of pounds on gym memberships with minimal results and now hike, run and weight train at home instead. Like Lorina said in an earlier post, I just get my gear on and go whether running from my front door around my local park and trails or sticking on an exercise DVD - no travelling to a gym or making sure I look okay. I will even admit to doing weights and exercise DVDs in my underwear in my living room - why bother getting dressed for it?!! Straight in the shower afterwards then on to work. I save a good 45 minutes in transport and changing time compared to the gym - time I spend on an extra 45 minutes sleep!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Per my ticker, have lost almost 70lbs over the last year, went from 18W to 14M, all due to home workouts, including dvds and walking.
  • allforthethrill
    allforthethrill Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    So, in exactly 1 month today I've lost around 7 kilograms (14+ pounds), my weight has recently began to fluctuate like CRAZY because for the last week I'v actually exercised. However, in 13 days I lost over 10 pounds, this was in the beginning, just tracking calories, drinking loads of water and green tea and getting plenty of sleep.
    I think why I haven't been steadily losing weight the past couple of weeks is due to the fact that I think I'm eating too many carbs, my green tea intake has been significantly lower and I'm not eating as regularly and not getting enough sleep. Once I iron those issues out I know I'll be losing 2 pounds a week at least!
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    Profile pic!
  • 2LoveEnnisMccall6
    Options
    Started at 147 now at 117 with no gym! Look at my pictures in my album
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    21 lbs, no gym. I have a before and current pic on my profile page. My "after" is still a work in progress as I have started lifting. Most of my weightloss was from calorie deficit + walking. I also do some kickboxing DVDs. Started lifting in January. Now I am looking for body composition more than any further weight loss.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    *points at my ticker*

Workout DVDs, Wii fitness games, walking, and a couple of attempts at jogging. :)
  • schaskes
    schaskes Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    No pics for me, but I have lost 38 pounds and gained noticeable muscle in my arms. I do cardio on a treadmill in my garage, Wii dancing games, bicycling along the beach on Sundays, and strength training with hand weights 3 times a week. I did get 6 sessions with a personal trainer who knew that my goal was to create workouts that I could do on my own. But if that hadn't been an option, I think I would have used online videos or fit friends to get me started! You can do it! The best part for me is not needing the time to get to/from the gym. I'm a working mom so rolling out of bed and being on the treadmill three minutes later is key. I can also do strength training and make dinner simultaneously!
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I have 2 3lb weights and a pair of shoes

Walking every other day, along with a few weight lifting exercises and some push-ups, sit-ups and planks
    And on my off days, I'm training myself to run using the couch to 5k program.

idk the last time I measured myself before the other day, but when I did, I was about 1/2-1 inch smaller. I lost 3 1/4 lbs from the previous week and I feel so much better. :bigsmile:

Edited, because I didn't mention I only started this routine a couple weeks ago ^^
  • canelly
    canelly Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    E172176B-A7A4-44F7-BAED-702CFE04FACF-6967-000004441E4E43B5.jpg

Jillian Michaels, p90x some eleptical and running!! That's all I have done.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    E172176B-A7A4-44F7-BAED-702CFE04FACF-6967-000004441E4E43B5.jpg

Wow, your results are amazing. Can I ask how long you have been working out for now? And also if you follow a diet too or purely exercise?
  • graciepecie
    graciepecie Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    -
  • canelly
    canelly Posts: 731 Member
    Options

Wow, your results are amazing. Can I ask how long you have been working out for now? And also if you follow a diet too or purely exercise?

Thank you! Well between those two pics it's been 9 months. I have lost 26 lbs and I do try to eat as clean and healthy as I can. I eat between 2,000 to 2,500 calories a day.
  • mmichellea
    mmichellea Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i like to use the vibro plates any1 else using them? x
  • graciepecie
    graciepecie Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The top three decisions I've made regarding my fitness:

1) Beginning exercise.

2) Joining a gym.

3) Quitting the gym.

Joining the gym was great. I was exposed to a variety of exercise and machines that I wouldn't have done otherwise. I got to try out the elliptical (hated it), stationary bike (hurt my bum), recumbent bike (much more *kitten*-friendly), arc-trainer (form of torture), and treadmill (good at the time). It's what got my started on heavy strength training, even if I was only using machines at the time.

It's what gave me the confidence to say, "I'd rather buy free weights for home and do all my running outside."

I quit the gym in July 2012.

Here's my progress photos, after getting a little below my goal weight in July of 2011 (only doing cardio and very light strength training), after a year of strength training on machines, and after just four months of lifting at home with free weights.

IMG_1297-copy.jpg

If I could have afforded a better gym (than Planet Fitness) that had free weights, and was more conveniently located, I would have stuck with it. And maybe if I were more sociable and liked exercising with people, a gym would be a better choice. But I'm a hermit by nature and like my alone-time. Having a home gym completely eliminated my excuses for not exercising. There's ALWAYS time to go outside for a quick run or upstairs to lift weights. And I don't need to shower or shave my legs or comb my hair first.

Wow! You are so inspiring! I hate the gym and machines and do cardio and light weights at home and I was wondering if that was enough. But you've prooved me that its enough!!

Thanks for sharing!
  • abbyblackcft
    Options
    I don't use a gym, but I do at home videos. My success story is below.

Before I got married I was very active and I ran. When I got married back in 2007 I was 120, then when I found out I was pregnant I was 130. When I was discharged after giving birth I weighed 166 pounds!! On a 5'3" frame, that is a lot of weight to carry around. I had been active during my pregnancy, so I was shocked at how much I had gained. After I got the go-ahead from my OBGYN I started a program, which I can't name because of the forum rules. After 90 days of this program and having a new breakfast procedure each morning I got back down to 120 pounds! At the moment I have 5 pounds left to lose! My goal weight is 115.

My new full-time job is to help others have more healthy and fulfilling lives with their loved ones. I would love to chat with like minded people.

Abby
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Bump, cause I like this thread. :tongue:
  • 1fenix
    Options
    Was a gym rat in the past, but have gained weight and I stopped paying the gym fees ($50/month). I decided to get the Fitbit and walk in areas that had some stairs, too. After an hour the Fitbit showed that I burned 500+ calories - I thought no way. Then I went out with a polar HRM and it calculated my calories at over 500!

Seems that I walk about 5 miles and go up 24 floors (and down) and is the equivalent of the La Danta Pyramid (picture in this post). I do this walk at least 5x per week and enjoying getting out as it really doesn't seem like exercise. For my first 2 weeks with eating well and walking - I have lost 10 pounds!

6r3cl5.jpg

I can certainly keep this up!
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    No gym membership for me. Healthy food choices, running, lifting and videos.

This. IMO running is one of the best things you can do. I've never had a gym membership. Recently I found Jillian Michael's DVDs. Love 'em!

Ripped-In-30-Day30-results--1_zps0df2b730.jpg
  • crystallight711
    crystallight711 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Bump - Love the amazing results in here! I'll post my own, when I get a minute.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!