Non gym goers, show me your results!

Options

Replies

• artex1024
    artex1024 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm a gym rat, but http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/ is pretty awesome.

Nerdfitness is a great source for non-gym inspiration. They do a lot of focus on body weight exercises.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The top three decisions I've made regarding my fitness:

1) Beginning exercise.

2) Joining a gym.

3) Quitting the gym.

Joining the gym was great. I was exposed to a variety of exercise and machines that I wouldn't have done otherwise. I got to try out the elliptical (hated it), stationary bike (hurt my bum), recumbent bike (much more *kitten*-friendly), arc-trainer (form of torture), and treadmill (good at the time). It's what got my started on heavy strength training, even if I was only using machines at the time.

It's what gave me the confidence to say, "I'd rather buy free weights for home and do all my running outside."

I quit the gym in July 2012.

Here's my progress photos, after getting a little below my goal weight in July of 2011 (only doing cardio and very light strength training), after a year of strength training on machines, and after just four months of lifting at home with free weights.

IMG_1297-copy.jpg

If I could have afforded a better gym (than Planet Fitness) that had free weights, and was more conveniently located, I would have stuck with it. And maybe if I were more sociable and liked exercising with people, a gym would be a better choice. But I'm a hermit by nature and like my alone-time. Having a home gym completely eliminated my excuses for not exercising. There's ALWAYS time to go outside for a quick run or upstairs to lift weights. And I don't need to shower or shave my legs or comb my hair first.

Wow! You are so inspiring! I hate the gym and machines and do cardio and light weights at home and I was wondering if that was enough. But you've prooved me that its enough!!

Thanks for sharing!

You misunderstand. She doesn't do light weights. She does heavy lifting. As in 100+ lbs of weight for some exercises.
  • yogamom16
    Options
    I dont have any pics right now but I started at 165lbs and my current weight is 129lbs. I have never stepped foot in a gym. I do cardio, yoga, pilates and circuit training at home.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    no lifting , so I'm all skinny now, and for some reason my belly is fatter in this pic. Might be the wine.

6671284395_d2550e48b8_m.jpg
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i don't have any good photos of before and after really.
    i used to go to the fitness center in my college, because it was inclided in my tuition. haven't been there since 2010.
    i started doing all this last jan, joined last march. because i relapsed with my eating disorder, but that's neither here nor there.

my starting measurements were around 34 chest, 25 waist and 34 hips. i was wearing us women's size 5 or 7 in juniors, and weighed around 127 (i am 5'4", for me that was a lot because i had never really weighed more than 120 so i felt huge, due to my distorded view on body image which i am working on).

i started with jogging or taking long walks, and switched it up and did some dance exercises. stopped losing for a while, switched things up. i now do dummbells and calisthenics and walks (i haven't quit smoking so the jogging stopped, i used to be a runner in hs/college)

so anyhoo, i def see results from doing squats, dummbells and crunches, pushups, situps.
    i am now 101 lbs, 32 chest 23.5 waist 31 hips.

wish i had before and after photos for you, sorry!

good luck on your journey
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I started on 02/24/12 at 247 pounds, with a BMI of 38.8. I was unable to stand up straight or walk the entire length of my house. It wasn't just the weight I had gained, I also have/had arthritis in my lower back, as well as asthma. I started out doing light exercise at home, along with eating properly. I couldn't even walk 2 minutes, at first, but I kept pushing myself harder, as the days went by. Before I knew it, I had built myself up to 5 minutes, 7 minutes, 15, 30, 60, 90. Now, almost a year later, I hike and snowshoe all over beautiful Washington state. I can't recall the last time I needed my inhaler and my back only bothers me if I really overdo it now. Also, I have managed to lose 92 pounds and my BMI is down to 24.4. I'm 5' 7" tall and I'll be 56 years old in a couple months.

Not one time did I set foot in a gym, until 2 weeks ago. I have decided that I want to build more muscle than I can attain with my home equipment. So, now I go to the gym 5 times a week and I absolutely love it. The picture shows me on day 1 (Crappy cell phone photo) and last week.

If I can do it, anyone can. The most important thing for me has been my mindset. I can do anything that I think I can do. I can't do anything that I think I can't do. I think I can do anything I want, so I do. The mind is a powerful thing. You have to believe in yourself or you set yourself up to fail. Good luck to you! :happy:

almost1year_zpsf39123b6.jpg
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Very Inspiring Thread. The only thing is the ratio of pics to non pics posts made me wonder if there is some correlation between people who do not join gyms and people who do not post pics. This thread was definitely light on the pic's. Wonder why?
  • yogamom16
    Options
    Very Inspiring Thread. The only thing is the ratio of pics to non pics posts made me wonder if there is some correlation between people who do not join gyms and people who do not post pics. This thread was definitely light on the pic's. Wonder why?

I hate getting my picture taken- when I was fat I REALLY didnt want my picture taken so I dont really have many "before" pictures. I am a very private person so I dont post my pictures all over the internet either. Being a private person is probably the reason that I dont like gyms either.
  • grdnr03
    grdnr03 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I use the equipment I have at home and watch my calories, I use weights and the treadmill, also calistetics(sp?), my cycle is broken at this time but I used that alot!!

Planning on using the local highschool track and local trails once the weather is bearable; I like listening to upbeat music when i workout.

Good Luck Sorry no pics I've been at this since July 2012 and love it!!!

P.S. the equipment was collecting dust before I started using it, so no gym for me
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    5fb74e46-9943-4f70-94cf-f925c856cea2_zps9a60cf5f.jpg

Nice work, lookin' good!!!
  • Pink_Tina
    Options
    sidebyside_zps9687e5ea.jpg

Height: 5'4
    SW:221
    CW:168
    GW: 140

I don't own a gym membership and only paid for the YMCA here twice in 9 months (wanted to use their indoor track because it was raining). I lost 53 pounds with sticking to my daily calories on MFP and walking 3 to 5 miles at least 4 days a week. I do Leslie Sansone Walk-At-Home DVDs now that it's snowing and have recently started lifting heavy with free weights. I love working out at home! :drinker:
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I do go to a gym, but I do half of my workouts at home. I have some dumbbells and an exercise step at home, and one of those inflatable balls. Pop in an advanced exercise dvd with kickboxing or circuits and it's quite tough. It's also fun to do intervals walking / jogging in the neighborhood.
  • Tlove1111
    Tlove1111 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    No gym here. I have 2 young kids, so I had to figure out an alternative.
    I do all my strength training at home! I have a barbell & free weights . Recently just purchased a bench so I have somewhere to place my barbell, it also has a leg developer & preacher curl pad.
    I'd much rather get what I need and do my workout routine in the comfort of my home :smile:
  • SCsexy1
    SCsexy1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Not only do you look 92 pounds lighter but 20 years younger! GREAT JOB!!! :)
    I started on 02/24/12 at 247 pounds, with a BMI of 38.8. I was unable to stand up straight or walk the entire length of my house. It wasn't just the weight I had gained, I also have/had arthritis in my lower back, as well as asthma. I started out doing light exercise at home, along with eating properly. I couldn't even walk 2 minutes, at first, but I kept pushing myself harder, as the days went by. Before I knew it, I had built myself up to 5 minutes, 7 minutes, 15, 30, 60, 90. Now, almost a year later, I hike and snowshoe all over beautiful Washington state. I can't recall the last time I needed my inhaler and my back only bothers me if I really overdo it now. Also, I have managed to lose 92 pounds and my BMI is down to 24.4. I'm 5' 7" tall and I'll be 56 years old in a couple months.

Not one time did I set foot in a gym, until 2 weeks ago. I have decided that I want to build more muscle than I can attain with my home equipment. So, now I go to the gym 5 times a week and I absolutely love it. The picture shows me on day 1 (Crappy cell phone photo) and last week.

If I can do it, anyone can. The most important thing for me has been my mindset. I can do anything that I think I can do. I can't do anything that I think I can't do. I think I can do anything I want, so I do. The mind is a powerful thing. You have to believe in yourself or you set yourself up to fail. Good luck to you! :happy:

almost1year_zpsf39123b6.jpg
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    And I don't need to shower or shave my legs or comb my hair first.

Haha good point!! XD
  • traynorj82
    traynorj82 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    No gym here and I am down 80 pounds :)
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    This is me at 183 and size 14. My highest was 190 but no pics. I did 30 Day Shred, Insanity, P90X, and currently Body Beast. I'm also training for my first half marathon.

1cad7cff-e993-4e54-9d4c-5d9d675df87f_zps0966631b.jpg

Me at 149 and size 8

8b6bad59-46f9-47fc-9a55-db5b8f0526f1_zpse6ae45fe.jpg
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    From 5/11 - 12/11, when I found out I was pregnant:

70total.jpg

Insanity which I finished 2 weeks ago, 3 - 5m postpartum
    Insanity_zpsebd3dc38.jpg

5'5"
    SW - 236
    CW - 151
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    <
    Taken before beginning 30DS.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!