What amazing new food did you discover this week?

Options

Replies

• ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    My new favorite things to eat:

Grilled Artichokes with EVOO, garlic salt and pepper--no need to dip into sauces! and I finally learned to prepare and eat a fresh artichoke ;)

Cottage cheese with a fruit butter (I use blueberry, peach or raspberry butter from my farmers market)

Sprouted 7-grain bread from Trader Joe's--very yummy and filling :)

Brocolli sprouts--something new I found at the farmers market and love them

Chipotle cheese from the farmers market--I try to keep the serving to 1oz or less but I love the spicy zing it has/adds to my sandwiches
  • tristan83
    tristan83 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    String cheese! I would have never had tried it if it wasn't for MFP. I eat it with almonds for a snack. Mmmmm. :happy:
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    HOMEMADE BREAKFAST SAUSAGE!! SOOOO YUMMY AND SOOO HEALTHY!!!

Please share more about this one! :)
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    baked tillapia with a garlic and yogurt sauce. SO yummy and SO low in cals. :D
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Stoney Field Organic Yogurt

particularly Cherry Vanilla and Mango Apricot (think I got the names right?)

(some interesting and new ideas to try out here, glad the thread was started:wink: )
  • Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256
    Options
    mmmmm I love couscous but it's a weakness of mine so i don't make it often. I can easily eat 3 servings without realizing it.

My new love this week is marzetti's spicy chipotle hummus and carrots.
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    HOMEMADE BREAKFAST SAUSAGE!! SOOOO YUMMY AND SOOO HEALTHY!!!

Please share more about this one! :)

Its sooo simple!

You can use 95% ground pork or 99% ground turkey (much leaner!).

For every 4-5 oz, I add 1/4 tsp ground marjoram, 1/4 tsp ground sage, fresh cracked pepper and a bit of salt. I usually make about a lb of it and bag it in 4-5oz servings. I make the patties about an ounce each (they fit PERFECTLY on mini bagels for homemade McD's sandwiches!) I sautee them (very little extra light olive oil or cooking spray for about 1 minute on each side).

The longer they marinate, the more flavor you get without having to add salt.

Basically, the only calories/fat in it is from the meat! Everything else is essentially free!
  • karmasBFF
    Options
    baked tillapia with a garlic and yogurt sauce. SO yummy and SO low in cals. :D

That sounds amazing! Got a particular recipe?
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    Thanks Karma - i just emailed that to myself. Kind of an eye openener since I never really thought 'hey, i can make sausage patties simply'.....but after reading your method I totally got that NO DUH moment. its really only seasonings and ground meat, the only thing complicated would be a sausage casing...but patties are better anyway!

Thanks!
  • karmasBFF
    Options
    Thanks Karma - i just emailed that to myself. Kind of an eye openener since I never really thought 'hey, i can make sausage patties simply'.....but after reading your method I totally got that NO DUH moment. its really only seasonings and ground meat, the only thing complicated would be a sausage casing...but patties are better anyway!

Thanks!

Anytime!

I love them!!! So much better than greasy ones! They have a tendency to dry out if cooked too long; might take a couple tries :wink: . Basically, they cook quicker than you think they're done! :noway:
  • crazyjkgirl
    crazyjkgirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Pot stickers. OMG- yum!

Joseph's Pitas. Only 60 calories!

Vitatops!

Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwiches.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Twice baked potatoes. Okay, so it's not the healthiest (and honestly, it was the first white potato I've had in probably 5 or 6 months!!!) but I'd never had one until last night at my bf & my anniversary dinner. I'm in love.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Brown Cow Yogurt

MaraNatha Natural Creamy PB (no stir YAY!)

Amy's Black Bean Chili

All Natural Pop-Chips
  • kmassey
    kmassey Posts: 5
    Options
    Never tried them until this week - caramel or chocolate rice cake topped with 1 tbsp rf peanut butter.
  • Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options
    Ben and Jerry's FroYo!!!! It tastes identical!
    Cabot 75% fat free habanero cheese. Amazing and super spicy!
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Just tried Quinoa last night for dinner --cooked it with vegie broth as suggested for extra flavor and I LOVED it..picky eater husband also liked it :happy:
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options

I also want to roast some brussel sprouts...never had them!

Roast brussel sprouts is my new favorite side! I use one of the small frozen packages, sprinkle with a lil EVOO, salt, pepper, minced garlic, and lemon juice. Then place in the oven at 375 for about 15-20 minutes! YUMMY!!!!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    So maybe not AMAZING, but I bought some flax seed in bulk so I can add 1 tbsp to my "cereal" concoction. Flax seed is very healthy! And CHEAP!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    sugar snap peas and broccoli

Stony Field Yogurt
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    And chickpeas. Had some in my salad on Sunday and I could hardly even tell they were in there. Good source of extra protein & fiber.