No thank you.

Options
124»

Replies

• robynn412
    robynn412 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone...so appreciate the comments. I knew I could've had it, and would have easily allotted for it with spin class tonight, but ultimately, I didn't need it. I was able to resist, and feel good about it, the thought of getting one before they were gone and missing out wasn't there...that's big.

This certainly won't always be what I choose to do, and a repeat situation is inevitable in the office environment, but still pretty proud of myself for resisting a big temptation for me, and finish off an awesome day both food & exercise wise.
    Am I the only one appalled by how much money that woman must have spent on pastries?!?! Dunkin Donuts not classy enough for you, lady?!?

And I was absolutely thinking about this! Tallying up how much all that stuff must've cost...haha!
  • lotusspark
    Options
    Serious will power, you go girl. ;)
  • Christie0428
    Christie0428 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Great job saying "no thank you"... I have found that dicipline to say no to stuff that you don't really want to eat is like that is a muscle - you need to exercise it - the more you say no the easier it gets.

I also find that if I make a rule for myself - like i don't eat (donuts, or cake or fill in the blank) ... ahead of time the decision is already made so I don' thave to stress about making it in the moment.

There are a lot of "sugar-pushers", as I call them, people who like to puch junk/sweets at you to either make themselfs feel better or for some other reason... when I was at my lowest weight, i used to be one of them (sorry but its true) I used to push the junk left in the office on the people who routinely ate them... it was my way of seeing someone else enjoy the treat with out having the calories... wierd I know... also if they ate the treat - it wasn't around for me to be tempted.
  • Christie0428
    Options
    also to those who said they would enjoy the treat and ajust your calories - that is great if you are able to do it... some of us (I can't imagine I am the only one) it would be the start of a landslide, jumping face first in to a tub of ben and jerries ...it is about knowign yourself and your abilities... I have trigger foods that make me to want to eat more
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    You should have allowed yourself the doughnut, if you wanted it that bad. Having the doughnut and fitting it into your daily calories would have been a much bigger success.

WHAT?!? I don't know about you, but I am trying to teach myself to eat better and that involves will power. Eating a doughnut and "fitting" it into calories would be a big disappointment for me, unless I planned on eating it. Just sayin!

Good job OP! To me, nothing feels better than saying no to a suprise temptation.... at least if you are anything like me! Thats awesome!

Meanwhile, there is a chocolate heart lolly pop that is 3 times the size of a normal lolly pop sitting on my desk. It was a suprise Valentine... so I will probably read this post over and over again!
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    Good for you! I had the same happen to me this morning except it was bagels from Einstein Bros. It feels good to say no.
  • sweetsarahv
    sweetsarahv Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Please note I'm in no way bashing any one that would choose to eat the donut and work it into their calories. I just know for me saying no is the right choice. There are things that I will treat myself. As fruit is one of my favorite treats I'll often make a fruit smoothie with frozen yogurt if I have enough calories at the end of the day. If my calories allow I may even make a 321 cake topped with a scoop of ice cream and fruit
    This is my favorite treat and no donut is worth giving that up.

Unplanned treats are hard to say no to but I'm making to much progress to sabatage myself and I don't feel like I'm depriving myself or not enjoying life by choosing when and what my treats are.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Every choice like that makes you stronger! Congratulations on resisting.
  • supercatie18
    supercatie18 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Great job! I used to work at Starbucks and those donuts are around 500 cals (as well as any other Sbucks pastry), the cal counts are shocking
  • deoboed
    deoboed Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I also have a weakness for donuts, though not, it must be confessed, the Starbucks ones-- it's off-putting to me to know that they're not made on-site. How old are they, and how much fat must be in them to keep them feeling "fresh" for long enough to be in the case for days? It must be Starbucks week around here because there was a whole box of Lemon Loaf in the break room yesterday.... then our lunch speaker brought Olive Garden and it's still here today!

My co-workers are all talking about how good it is but other than the initial decision to say no to a breadstick it feels better to eat the food I packed and pre-recorded. Yesterday I was afraid of being accused of being sanctimonious if I just ate my packed food during the lunch presentation (huge thing of baby spinach topped with chicken and tomatoes) but no one said a thing. THAT was great, not to be goaded or harassed about food.
  • Amandatorie
    Amandatorie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    also to those who said they would enjoy the treat and ajust your calories - that is great if you are able to do it... some of us (I can't imagine I am the only one) it would be the start of a landslide, jumping face first in to a tub of ben and jerries ...it is about knowign yourself and your abilities... I have trigger foods that make me to want to eat more

Yup! Or for me it's more of the "it's just this one time, I'll adjust something be eating less later or exercising more" mentality that turns into "OK, well I didn't adjust...but it's just one day". And then the next day it happens again. And the next day it happens again. And again. And then you're back where you started.

For me, I can have a treat on an ACTUAL special occasion when I've decided I can have it, and not a "special occasion" as defined as "someone just shoved a bunch of fattening **** in front of my face". THAT is not a special occasion, and not indulging doesn't affect my enjoyment of life.

(as an aside, I'm so jealous of all of you who don't have the type of "food addiction" I do, where you can truly have one bite, or only eat half, or just be better later, without much trouble).
  • Angel37615
    Angel37615 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    What great willpower! I just inhaled four chocolate covered strawberries because I couldn't say no. After all, they were a gift....
  • Christie0428
    Options

Yup! Or for me it's more of the "it's just this one time, I'll adjust something be eating less later or exercising more" mentality that turns into "OK, well I didn't adjust...but it's just one day". And then the next day it happens again. And the next day it happens again. And again. And then you're back where you started.

For me, I can have a treat on an ACTUAL special occasion when I've decided I can have it, and not a "special occasion" as defined as "someone just shoved a bunch of fattening **** in front of my face". THAT is not a special occasion, and not indulging doesn't affect my enjoyment of life.

(as an aside, I'm so jealous of all of you who don't have the type of "food addiction" I do, where you can truly have one bite, or only eat half, or just be better later, without much trouble).

Yes! well said, this is what I was trying to convey :-)