Does making friends and the "encouragement" really work?

Options
12346»

Replies

• scrapscot
    scrapscot Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It definitely does for me. I'm keeping quiet about my weight loss to my family (none live near me) and my friends on FB because I want to take a picture after I've lost about 30 lbs to see if they notice, so having my friends on MFP encouraging me really helps. The only people outside of MFP that know of my fitness program, are my partner, my friends at Mr. B's Burger Pub and my friends at the Senior Rec Center where I work out. I haven't even mentioned it to my daughter who is a "fitness/Crossfit/Paleo" guru, the owner of Altern-e-fit.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    It's equal parts encouragement and accountability. And, yes, it does work.
  • originalkazila
    Options
    It's equal parts encouragement and accountability. And, yes, it does work.

Same for me! I feel like I want to make everyone proud when I log on because everyone is working so hard.
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    To me it makes a big difference. I constantly see my friends working out daily, it gets me in the mode to also make sure I get my workout in. In addition, the added inspiration of seeing people start where you are and go on to make amazing transformations to let you know that it can be done. This has made the biggest impact of me sticking to my routine. The encouragement, the advice, and the resources that you get from others that have been where you currently are is invaluable!
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Yes! A thousand times, YES! :love:

My MFP frineds have kept me going, encouraging me along every step of the way. Giving me much needed criticism when needed (in a positive way) and leading by example. We are all dedicated to the goal of getting healthier. Yes, we stumble, but with each others encouragement, we pick ourselves up and keep on moving forward.:smile:

I could not have gotten this far without each and every one of them. :smile:

I too, am careful with the forums. They can sometimes be combative and I am not here for that. But, I have learned to pick and choose the ones I respond to.:happy:

Wishing you continued success in your journey to a heathier life! Enjoy the ride! :flowerforyou:
  • Queenb1212
    Queenb1212 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love my MFP support group. Each one has something to offer from encouragement to being real about bad days. I have not read any hurtful or misguided posts as some groups complain about. It definitely makes me accountable since in the past I have always kept my weight loss/gain a secret from others. BUT I guess it depends on the person(s).
  • kellyraesmik
    kellyraesmik Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think it does for sure. I am pretty shy/antisocial and don't tend to be the conversation starter often, but the friends I have made on here have shown me support many times and I have them as well. Also, just seeing that they are keeping active daily helps to motivate me and get out there and get sweaty!!

all are welcome to add me! :)
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I think it does but it all depends on your attitude and whether you are able to give that support back. No - one can help you lose weight, that is all down to you... but the support we give each other on here is invaluable.
    It makes you realise you are not alone in this and even if you stuff up you can vent about it and people get what you are talking about!
  • determined136
    Options
    You have to find what works for you! I know that I have AMAZING friends that really do know when I am in need.

I have had friends know that I am having a bad day just from what I have or haven't logged. I think with anything you have to know what you are looking for and not afraid to delete someone if they aren't there for what you need.

Best of luck!!!