What to do with a head of cabbage?

Options

Replies

• pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    BUMP because I have 2 heads of cabbage from my CSA that I need to use and I rarely use cabbage for anything.
  • pinkymac11
    Options
    It's great steamed, boiled with some Kielbasa or sausage, in soups, sauteed with sliced carrots, or pigs in a blanket, just to name a few. Or have an Aussie night & serve Bubbles & Squeak. Yum, yum!!!!
  • Librarymind
    Librarymind Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love steamed cabbage.

A friend from Russia said you boil the cabbage and drink all the water - all the cabbage water you can all the time, and all the weight will fall right off of you, she said.

Another thing I like to do is fry the cabbage with onions and potatoes, and add some lemon and garlic and celery seed. I just love how it tastes.
  • chrislynn_marie
    chrislynn_marie Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I slice it (or you can chunk it), sprinkle with seasonings (or even Ranch mix or parmesan cheese) and bake at 375 for 15-18 minutes (depending on the thickness of the slice). My veggie skeptic husband loves it!
  • PhotogNerd
    PhotogNerd Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Make coleslaw? Make cabbage rolls?
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Braised cabbage is nice. Slice up an onion and chop up some bacon, saute those in a little olive oil (in a coverable saucepan big enough to hold the cabbage) til the onion is clear and the bacon cooked. Slice the cabbage - maybe around a quarter of a cabbage would probably feed 4-ish depending on the size) finely and add it to the saucepan. Cook for a couple of minutes, then add around a cup of white wine and around a cup of good chicken stock. You could also add a couple of bay leaves and a few peppercorns at this stage, and a teaspoon of brown sugar can be nice as well. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for at least an hour. Season to taste at the end (sometimes I find it needs a bit of lemon juice to bring out some tartness).

Goes nice with sausages.

Sorry if this appears twice - computer is having a bad hair day.

I was going to suggest the same thing, but I saute it with onion and bacon, and then add about a cup of vinegar and a cup of water, and simmer it for an hourish. salt and pepper to taste.
  • gvheintz
    gvheintz Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Cabbage is always a great reason to go with "lazy man cabbage rolls" in the crockpot.
  • mariah_papaya
    mariah_papaya Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Shred it and steam it -- voila, "Spaghetti" with one-one millionth the calories and carbs!
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Lentil Cabbage Casserole

You're gonna love this! It is so easy, so cheap, so filling, so nutritious! This is one of my favorite dinners!

(Please excuse the incredibly detailed, very basic directions! I wrote this up for a young lady who didn;t know how to cook at all, not even how to cook up some rice! And I don't have time to re-write it, so here it is, very basic instructions and all!)

To make enough for two people for one dinner:

Ingredients:
    1/2 Cup dry green lentils
    1/2 Cup dry (uncooked) brown rice, preferably basmati brown rice, but any kind will do
    1/2 Green Cabbage, medium sized
    1 yellow onion
    either 1-2 Tablespoons Butter OR 1-2 Tablespoons Olive Oil (not any other kind of oil!)
    Salt
    Pepper

Directions:
    In one pot, measure out the 1/2 Cup of dry brown rice, add one cup of water, bring it to a boil, then reduce heat to low and put a lid on the pot, and cook till done, and the water is absorbed. This might take 30 minutes to 40 minutes. You have to watch it closely after 25 minutes, to make sure it doesn't run out of water and burn!

In another pot, measure out the 1/2 Cup dry green lentils. Add plenty of water (no need to measure the water -- you will be draining it off!). Put a lid on the pot. Bring it to a boil, the lower the heat to low, and pop the lid up a little on the side of the pot, so that the pot is covered, but not tightly. Let cook for at least 20 minutes, but not more than 30 minutes. Drain the lentils.

Mix the cooked lentils and the cooked rice together. This can be done just before you make dinner, or it can be done the day before, and just have some cold lentils and rice waiting in the refridgerator for when you make dinner!

Wash the cabbage, cut it in half. Save half for another day. Chop the other half up (dice it -- first cut into strips, then into squares).

Put the chopped cabbage into a large pot. If you have a steaming rack for the pot, that is ideal, but you can cook it without one, if you don't have one.

Peel and chop the onion. Add it to the pot with the Cabbage.

Put just a little bit of water in the pot. If you have a steaming rack, the water should come to just below the steaming rack. If you don't have a steaming rack, put maybe a half an inch or so of water in the bottom of the pot. Certainly no more than one inch of water in the bottom of the pot.

If the cooked lentils and rice are warm, leave them alone. If the cooked lentils and rice are cold, add them on top of the cabbage and onions, so they can warm up while the cabbage and onions cook.

Bring the pot to a boil. Keep a lid on the pot, and let it boil at medium high heat for 3 minutes to 5 minutes, no longer. This will make it still slightly crunchy, and keep more nutrients intact than cooking longer.

Drain the cabage/lentil mixture, and either put it back into the pot or into a big bowl.

Add either the butter or the olive oil to the cabbage/lentil mixture, and stir several times to mix it in.

I have never measure the salt or the pepper! It can be salted to taste. I recommend plenty of pepper -- enough to actually SEE bits of pepper in the mixture, but not so much that it is thick with pepper! Just enough to see flakes of pepper here and ther, after mixing it in.

This makes two really large bowls, and I find it very filling! But sometimes I add a side dish, like cooked carrots, especially if I have company.
  • PurplePookie
    PurplePookie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    We make it into coleslaw, cabbage roll casserole, put it in stir-fry, add it to soups or salads, fry it up with other veggies and add hamburger and rice... so many things you can do with it...
  • jelr
    jelr Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I like to cut it up and saute it til it starts to get clear, lightly season it then add either kimchi sauce (a spicy korean sauce) or even regular tomato sauce and serve it over rice.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    steam with soy, Worcetershire sauce and Chinese 5 spice.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Cook it up in low sodium broth and balsamic vinegar, add bacon. Oh heck yes.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Lentil Cabbage Casserole

You're gonna love this! It is so easy, so cheap, so filling, so nutritious! This is one of my favorite dinners!

(Please excuse the incredibly detailed, very basic directions! I wrote this up for a young lady who didn;t know how to cook at all, not even how to cook up some rice! And I don't have time to re-write it, so here it is, very basic instructions and all!)

To make enough for two people for one dinner:

Ingredients:
    1/2 Cup dry green lentils
    1/2 Cup dry (uncooked) brown rice, preferably basmati brown rice, but any kind will do
    1/2 Green Cabbage, medium sized
    1 yellow onion
    either 1-2 Tablespoons Butter OR 1-2 Tablespoons Olive Oil (not any other kind of oil!)
    Salt
    Pepper

Directions:
    In one pot, measure out the 1/2 Cup of dry brown rice, add one cup of water, bring it to a boil, then reduce heat to low and put a lid on the pot, and cook till done, and the water is absorbed. This might take 30 minutes to 40 minutes. You have to watch it closely after 25 minutes, to make sure it doesn't run out of water and burn!

In another pot, measure out the 1/2 Cup dry green lentils. Add plenty of water (no need to measure the water -- you will be draining it off!). Put a lid on the pot. Bring it to a boil, the lower the heat to low, and pop the lid up a little on the side of the pot, so that the pot is covered, but not tightly. Let cook for at least 20 minutes, but not more than 30 minutes. Drain the lentils.

Mix the cooked lentils and the cooked rice together. This can be done just before you make dinner, or it can be done the day before, and just have some cold lentils and rice waiting in the refridgerator for when you make dinner!

Wash the cabbage, cut it in half. Save half for another day. Chop the other half up (dice it -- first cut into strips, then into squares).

Put the chopped cabbage into a large pot. If you have a steaming rack for the pot, that is ideal, but you can cook it without one, if you don't have one.

Peel and chop the onion. Add it to the pot with the Cabbage.

Put just a little bit of water in the pot. If you have a steaming rack, the water should come to just below the steaming rack. If you don't have a steaming rack, put maybe a half an inch or so of water in the bottom of the pot. Certainly no more than one inch of water in the bottom of the pot.

If the cooked lentils and rice are warm, leave them alone. If the cooked lentils and rice are cold, add them on top of the cabbage and onions, so they can warm up while the cabbage and onions cook.

Bring the pot to a boil. Keep a lid on the pot, and let it boil at medium high heat for 3 minutes to 5 minutes, no longer. This will make it still slightly crunchy, and keep more nutrients intact than cooking longer.

Drain the cabage/lentil mixture, and either put it back into the pot or into a big bowl.

Add either the butter or the olive oil to the cabbage/lentil mixture, and stir several times to mix it in.

I have never measure the salt or the pepper! It can be salted to taste. I recommend plenty of pepper -- enough to actually SEE bits of pepper in the mixture, but not so much that it is thick with pepper! Just enough to see flakes of pepper here and ther, after mixing it in.

This makes two really large bowls, and I find it very filling! But sometimes I add a side dish, like cooked carrots, especially if I have company.

Thanks - trying it out soon!
  • CoachReardon44
    CoachReardon44 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I too have a head of cabbage just staring at me in the fridge! Thanks for the help!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Use it in place of bread. Alot of thai recipes use cabbage. pickle it make saurkraut or pickle it with beets. cole slaw. cabage salad. corned beef and cabbage. love the idea of a cabbage roll
  • Jlbland123
    Jlbland123 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Lots of really good ideas!
  • rel12345
    rel12345 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mmmporkrinds
    Options
    Braised cabbage is nice. Slice up an onion and chop up some bacon, saute those in a little olive oil (in a coverable saucepan big enough to hold the cabbage) til the onion is clear and the bacon cooked. Slice the cabbage - maybe around a quarter of a cabbage would probably feed 4-ish depending on the size) finely and add it to the saucepan. Cook for a couple of minutes, then add around a cup of white wine and around a cup of good chicken stock. You could also add a couple of bay leaves and a few peppercorns at this stage, and a teaspoon of brown sugar can be nice as well. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for at least an hour. Season to taste at the end (sometimes I find it needs a bit of lemon juice to bring out some tartness).

Goes nice with sausages.

Sorry if this appears twice - computer is having a bad hair day.

I was going to suggest the same thing, but I saute it with onion and bacon, and then add about a cup of vinegar and a cup of water, and simmer it for an hourish. salt and pepper to taste.

Yeah I can see how vinegar would work, I'll do that next time. Thanks! Also at Christmas I do a festive version. Red cabbage, red wine, orange juice and Christmassy spices like cinnamon and nutmeg
  • Megz2006
    Megz2006 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My dad makes a dish with cabbage, and it is amazing! We are actually having it tonight.

1 medium head of cabbage
    2 packs of pork ramen (makes the dish high in sodium so you could nix this if you want)
    1lb of hot Italian sausage
    1 small onion

Serves between 4-6 people and under 350 calories