Long hair+ Working out

Options
1235»

Replies

• DrJanet98
    DrJanet98 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I used to have hair long enough I could braid it and still sit on the braid. (For those of you with hair too short to know, braiding it shortens it considerably.) It's always been dead straight, although four or five times I spent an entire Saturday getting it all done up in spiral wraps and permed curly, which looked great! Unfortunately, over the last several years my hair has gotten finer and thinner, and eventually it became clear that the weight of the hair was flattening it out and making it look dead. I finally gave in and got it cut, and I'm very glad I did, since it looks so much better now! But, if my hair ever goes back to being thicker and fuller, I'll never cut it again.

While my hair was long, I'd braid it in a French braid; you may not know it, but that leaves a channel between the braid and your scalp. I could feed the braid up into that channel and make the whole thing disappear. A couple of pins or a pencil to hold it in, and everything was out of the way. Bonus that hair pulled back like that doesn't show it if it gets sweaty or greasy. I always washed my hair just before bed, and put a towel over my pillow and spread it out to let it dry overnight. Never needed any more care than that and brushing.

You know those girls with cornrows covering their heads? That takes hours to do, so they don't take it out to wash, they just work the shampoo into the braids and rinse them well. I suspect you could do the same thing with the French braid deal if you wanted to, it just might take a while to dry completely.
    It's pretty scary and my hairdresser practically had to be forced to do it but I have no regrets.
    LOL, I had the same problem! The two stylists on duty were *much* more upset at cutting off the long braid than I was! I wanted a short haircut, and they hemmed and hawed and didn't want to "go too far the other way," so it wound up being longer than I wanted. Now I get it cut at a place practically next door to my work, just above my shoulders and layered a lot so it looks fuller. Every now and then I think about getting a pixie cut, but I don' t think it would look as good.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I've got long hair too--mid back, with bangs. I usually just pull it back into a ponytail, sometimes pigtails, sometimes braids. I have to shampoo it every time I exercise because otherwise it's just gross. A dry shampoo wouldn't cut it for me post-workout. I get too sweaty.
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I've recently had a weave put in and I LOVE my long hair! At the gym I tie it up into a high ponytail and twist my fringe up into a quiff so it doesn't stick to my forehead.

Dry shampoos are a life saver in between washes! x
  • Kankalamalini
    Options
    I have long hair with bangs, I dye it black. I workout every day, I wash it every 2/3 days. Cutting your hair because of that? Don't even think about it. Follow these tips and you will be fine.

Shampoo only your roots and apply conditioner only to the tips of your hair, that way it doesn't get dry and damaged. Apply almond oil to your hair, massage your scalp and keep it overnight. Eat a lot of fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts & seeds. Avoid processed foods. Minimize the use of caffeine containing drinks like soda & coffee. Cut the consumption of fried and oily food. Use cold pressed oils. During workout keep it in a braid or ponytail. Remember, true beauty and health come from the inside. The more toxic foods and chemicals inside your body, the more chemicals you will need to remove them and wash them from the outside. On the contrary, if you eat clean and have alkaline body, you will see that when you workout and sweat the roots only get wet but not greasy at all.

Things that can affect your hair growth in a negative way are poor diet which is failing to provide you with essential nutrients, abnormal sleep patterns or insomnia, stress, hormonal imbalance, exposure to cosmetics and shampoos with harmful chemicals.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Took me two years to grow out my hair. It's past the awkward length now. I'm keeping it for a while.
    I pull it back into a low ponytail for strength, pull it back higher and clip it up for cardio. It works. I could probably get away with washing it only every other day, but washing your hair after a workout feels good. No drying, no straightening, no products... It's usually up anyway when I'm out and about.
  • lovelyx091
    lovelyx091 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Noooo! My hair was long and I cut it. Now it's at the awkward length. It's also very thick, so short, thick hair doesn't look as good as long, thick hair :sad:
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you've tried it but you can use stuff called a dry shampoo, I prefer batiste, and you spray that on the roots of the hair and it instantly refreshes it so it doesn't look greasy! It helps me last in between washes when I've been working out!

I have dry shampoo but the nozzle always gets clogged. I've been working at it with a pin and running it under hot water but it just doesn't come out anymore. Any suggestions for that?
  • DashDeV
    DashDeV Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    What's the problem? Is it getting in your way, or you just don't like washing it everyday, or?...
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I'm a dude with long hair and I don't have any issues. I use very little shampoo and a boat load of conditioner daily.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I have really long hair, down to my waist. I put it in a bun when working out and it doesn't bother me. Depending on the intensity of the workout, i too have to wash it afterwards. I am not sure how cutting it shorter would solve this since your scalp would still be sweaty.

I just shed a long lost tear *sniff sniff*
  • odusgolp
    Options
    What's the problem? Is it getting in your way, or you just don't like washing it everyday, or?...

Carlos, this is from February. I know you're new here, but Pay Attention! *smack*
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    OPTIONS:

I would rather not work out daily than chop off my hair. alternate days

dry shampoo.

conditoner some days instead of shampoo and conditioner.

workout with my hair down to avoid headaches which also combat the ponytail dent

workout hard one day, easier the next something that doesn't make such a sweat or require shampooing

just stay fat

go to the gym where the girl doesn't allow people to shower who didn't work out there.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    OPTIONS:

go to the gym where the girl doesn't allow people to shower who didn't work out there.

This. Definitely this :)
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i've had super long hair before and super short hair....long hair suits me better. i wash every day or every other day but i condition every day, without fail.

i live by sweaty bands or other headbands that stay put a put my hair up in a bun, braid, ponytail...

short hair and working out is actually harder, in my book....
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Mine is long enough to sit on. I love it, and won't cut it. I wash it daily. I wear it in braids when exercising, or twisted in a knot.
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I could never chop off my locks! I have to wash it every 2 days at least!
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't cut my hair just to improve a work out. Throwing it in a ponytail or bun works well enough.