Do people actually comment on your weight loss?

Options

Replies

• SueMGordon
    Options
    I am clearly very lucky. My husband has lost 8lb more than me but it is me that gets the compliments at work and church. It could have been that I was also trying to glam up a bit at the same time. I was also doing the Couch to 5K last Autumn. The difference was quite dramatic at the beginning even after losing only about 7lb. My family noticed at Christmas, which was great.
  • rosy003
    rosy003 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I don't comment on anyone's weight loss unless I know that they are trying to lose. I know too many people who have lost because of illness, stress or eating disorders so I try not to say anything unless I am SURE that they are actively trying to lose weight for a healthy lifestyle.
  • donnab83
    donnab83 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Nobody noticed for the first 20-30lb, a bit disheartening after all the hard work, but I'm doing it for me & carried on.
    I then started to get comments as the weight came off more, but not always good.
    The other day at work one of they guys came up to me & said that he thought I was really ill as I'd lost so much weight! I've had this a few times now, but if your doing it for you it doesn't matter. Of course we all like praise for hard work, just be happy with how far you have come
    Not all the comments have been bad! But sometimes it gets uncomfortable with nice comments, suppose you can't have it all!
    Keep focused on doing what your doing & stuff everyone else! X
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    It took 1-2 months of hard work before most people noticed.
  • monikalama
    monikalama Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I lost 28 pounds before christmas in 3 months. (Didnt record it all) I then put on about 5lbs of christmas weight which i managed to lose in a couple of weeks in jan. This was just by eating within my calorie allowance (most days) but i still pretty much ate what I wanted and allowed myself treats.

I then realise any tone i had previously had gone so i took up the gym, been trying to go at least 3 times a week now for 4 weeks and although have not lost a pound i have lost 1 and half inch off waist and little amounts from other areas. Im pleased with myself but would still like to lose more and continue to tone up.

Its strange that apart from family and partner no one has mentioned my weight loss to me? Its a little disheartening. Anyone else had this??

A lot of guys are cautious to say anything related to weight loss or looks-unless the woman brings up the topic first, i.e. gives a little feedback on the direction wanted. Thus, silence does not mean the weight loss is not noticed.

^^ this is so true.. whenever i ask my boyfriend about my weight or how i look,, his face looks like he is so much in pressure and about to break down but he later responds according to the mood i am in..
  • monikalama
    monikalama Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    No. I celebrated losing 20lbs by wearing a nice dress in a size 16 (UK), and when my friend saw me she recommended this great website when you can buy dresses up to a size 32. She repeated the "size 32" part at least 4 or 5 times.

Seems like your mate is a Bwith a little itch
  • bluefish49
    bluefish49 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have lost a visibly significant amount of weight. But over the course as I lost more and more, people who would NEVER interact with me would all of a sudden want to talk with me - about my weight. With the most frequent question being "How much have you lost?" Not a compliment that I look good, but just an inquiry as to the number of pounds. The second question would then be "How are you doing it", i.e. wanting to know what kind of surgery I had.

I got tired of fulfilling these people's need to know a number. So, my standard answer has become "2 pounds". I usually get a real confused look and a "Nawwwww, you've lost more than that!" and then I reply "I've only lost 2 pounds. Don't know where they went. The rest of them - I know exactly where I left them - at the gym."

I don't want to feel like a walking lottery billboard with a number tatooed on my forehead. Here on MFP it is different. I am proud of my (as of this writing) 126 and have that on my ticker. And actually, I am down 167 from my all-time high many years ago, but the 126 come from a point where I started in earnest two years ago with only one hiccup.

Moral of the story - if you've walked by me in the hall for the last ten years and never made eye contact with me once, my "number" should not be the first topic you want to converse with me about.
  • threechins
    threechins Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My experience (with a touch over 60lbs lost) was that no-one really mentioned anything until fairly recently. Then it was mentioned so much it went through flattering and into tiresome.

I'm not sure why I managed to lose 45lbs or so with little comment. I suspect the more recent weight loss added more definition so it was more obvious, added to that my wardrobe has now changed entirely whereas I had retained quite a lot of my fat clothes and resurrected some that I'd previously outgrown which probably masked the change.
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Consider yourself lucky.

People comment on my weight loss all the time in quite invasive ways and it pisses me off. It's none of their business. And the amount of comments I get about "starving myself to lose weight" are highly offensive and make me incredibly angry. I am NOT starving myself. I eat a normal diet, with chocolate, bread, candy, cheese etc. I just happen to exercise more than most, so I burn it off.
  • waiting2exist
    waiting2exist Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My brother in law once said he could tell my sister had lost weight because her wrists were smaller, not sure that was quite what she was hoping for
  • LozPenguin
    LozPenguin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Have you told these people you've been eating healthy/working out at all? Sometimes people notice but don't say anything if you havent specifically mentioned it; they worry you might be offended if they bring up your weight, and if they were to say "have you lost weight?" when you hadn't been, it could cause an awkward moment. Just be patient, like everyone's said when it becomes totally obvious and undeniable people will probably speak up. :) as long as you take the time to celebrate the little changes YOU can see, that's all that really matters!
  • clarkehn
    clarkehn Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    70lbs was the magic number for me. Close friends and family noticed before but others that I seldom see or barely know saw the difference at -70lbs (I started at 260). Now, I am approached by everyone, even people I don't know, and they tell me how great I look.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    when I lost more weight before not a lot of people noticed or commented it.
    but it didn't matter because I felt great about myself and I knew I looked a lot better.

Now the difference isn't very notable anyway, so no one really knows :P but I do!
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    People probably do notice but are to courteus to comment. I've had a lot of comments lately, I had a few when I lost about 30kg and lots more when I came back to work after a 2.5 week holiday and had lost a little more. People who see you every day don't get the "wow" factor until a bit later I'm afraid.

Depending on how much you have to lose as well it's more or less visible. People started to notice when I lost about 20% of my starting weight I suppose.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Men don't comment. Even a guy I had dated at my heaviest just saw me again (naked) recently and when I mentioned I had lost some weight he had no idea. Maybe because he had found the amount I removed? People generally just say I look good more often now.

My mom noticed at like 10 lbs, my closest friend said something at 15 lbs and the girls at work started commenting at about 20 lbs, The guys at work and some other people just will never say anything.
  • casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I have lost 21 pounds so far and haven't really had anyone say that they saw any weight loss except for my husband who said he can see the weight loss from my backend. I don't know if i believe him because he knows i've been dieting and is just a sweetie. Anyway, no one knows i'm on a diet except for mfp's and of course my husband who eats most meals with me. I did have people comment to me that i look good in my new haircut (which I did not get) or that outfit looks good on you (that I've worn before and never got comments). So I'm taking this as them noticing without rally knowing it yet.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Just keep up the great work and not only will people notice that you're looking fit but your health will benefit as well!
  • kdub67
    kdub67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I've lost 22 and most people don't notice, or don't say anything if they do notice. I was not overweight to start with (just weighed more than I wanted to) so 22 is a lot to lose for me. It used to bug me, but I was never doing it for attention anyway, so now I just don't care. I get a lot of people telling me I need to stop losing, as if I look bad now, but again, I'm not doing it for them, I'm doing it for me. I am at my goal weight and if people don't like the way I look, then don't look, haha! Stay strong and know that you are doing this for yourself and for your health, and don't let people get to you:)
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    When I think someone lost some weight, but am not quite sure, I usually say something safe like: "Wow!, you look great! Have you been working out?"

If they have, they usually tell-all, if they haven't, the compliment is still appreciated because it was a sincere compliment.
  • Superchas
    Superchas Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    yep after 100 lbs
    still the same person but infinitely healthier
    good luck
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!