I HATE VEGETABLES!!!

Options

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Cut out sugar or drastically reduce the amount of sugar you consume then vegetables will taste a heck of a lot better. This is the same advice I received a few years ago from one of the owners of a Jamaican restaurant that lost over 50 lbs. It did it and now I crave what I once thought was bitter and yucky. It just took several months of reduced sugar intake for my taste buds to adjust. Hope this helps.

I found that, when I cut out sugar (from all sources--you'd be surprised at how much is in processed food), it opened up a lot of new food experiences for me. Before that, vegetables were like, "meh" to me---now, I LOVE THEM (I even crave them at times). Eating sugar and starch distorts your appetite. :frown:
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i dont believe you. There is no way you hate sugar snap peas, cucumbers or fresh green beans.
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I found that, when I cut out sugar (from all sources--you'd be surprised at how much is in processed food), it opened up a lot of new food experiences for me. Before that, vegetables were like, "meh" to me---now, I LOVE THEM (I even crave them at times). Eating sugar and starch distorts your appetite. :frown:

This is so true!
  • barbaratrollman
    Options
    EXACTLY. Don't give yourself excuses to not eat them. Learn to like them. Learn to love them. You need them. It's not negotiable!

If someone doesn't like them, they don't like them. You don't suddenly "Learn" to love them. There's no way that telling myself "You LOVE broccoli" will convince me that I love it. I do not. Never have and nothing anyone says or does will make me eat it.

This is just not true. I have my own taste preferences changes as proof for myself and you can even see from reading this thread that the same thing has happened for anybody here who made an effort to eat vegetables/fruits that they previously disliked.
    However, you are right...if you don't *try* to change your eating preferences, you will continue to hate the same healthy foods.
  • barbaratrollman
    Options
    Sometimes, the difference between what you will and will not eat is 36 hours. (No, I am not suggesting you starve yourself. It's just that the word "hate" seems awfully strong for one's feelings towards foods.)

Yes. If you've ever been truly hungry...like two or more days without food hungry...lots of foods you thought you didn't like start looking pretty darned appetizing to you.
    I was homeless for a couple of years, when I was young. I remember the first food I was offered after having had access to none for 4 days. It was food I'd never liked before, but it tasted glorious on that day...and really, from then on.
    It is all about perspective and you can change yours.
  • LozPenguin
    LozPenguin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    The more you eat them and learn to cook with them you start to get a taste for them. Just remember you need to eat them! No matter what! I have a friend who's the same; anti-vege; try chopping them finely and mix them in with your other food (ie chicken mince or something.) I buy kikkomans honey and soy sauce, it's 40 cals for 15mls but it goes a long way. Gives your stirfry serving heaps of flavor and makes it enjoyable to eat. :)
  • alexandrastaines
    Options
    I don't know how to eat right, I am seriously at a loss with this diet crud! I HATE vegetables. My idea of vegetables are corn potatoes tomatoes and cauliflower...... That's it. I am the pickiest eater ever, I hate shellfish! I hate most fishes unless its on my pole. I have no idea how to get myself on a regime. All I want to yeast is Mac n cheese fries burgers pizza...... Anyone want to point me in the right direction?? :-/

I'm astonished you hate veggies!!! Anyway, one thing I like is baked sweet potato (cut very thinly - like those sweet potato chips you see on TV) with low fat mayo - sounds bad but it's so yummy! Maybe add some salt or eat it with tomato sauce or sweet chilli and Philadelphia (not the best to eat it with but hey! least you're eating veggies) another idea is cut up celery and carrot - then find an AMAZING dip. <----that's the way I incorporate veggies into snacks

Before I enjoyed it normally, for meals, I just steamed my veggies but then with whatever protein I ate with it I made sure it was yummy by adding herbs, salts or nice sauces. That way, if you swallow down the veggies you hate...you can finish off with something yummy.
  • Peanutbutterx
    Options
    hey, i like good food too (and fishing). you gotta think of healthy food as not being bad anymore and find ways to make it taster. you gota get creative with it. seasonings always help for me with fish, im not really a fish fan but its so good for you. So i eat tilapia when i want fish because it doesnt have that fishy taste to it. i use lots of spray butter, lemon, salt and pepper. seasoning is important with bland foods. and chicken, i made my own breaded chicken by blending whole wheat toast in a blender, then adding garlic powder, salt, pepper, oregano to the bread crumbs, dip the chicken in an egg white and then the bread crumbs, and bake. its also good with lemon. i buy lean hamburger meat (93% lean) and use cheese made from 2% meat and eat burgers on english muffins.. cut up a sweet potato and make baked sweet potato fries, home made pizza with whole wheat crust, tomato sauce, 2% milk cheese, light ranch with carrots, fruit with granola and yogurt. and i make instant chocalot pudding with low fat milk alot, frozen yogurts good with crushed up graham crackers, oh and like my name says Peanut butter!! plain and with jelly n whole wheat toast. just mess around with different health foods until you find out what you like.
  • ChrisC_77
    ChrisC_77 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    That's a good idea. Maybe some small dices of cooked sweet potatoes, broccoli in mac n cheese. And as another poster said, try roasting hard veggies in the oven with herbs ans spices you like. carrots, sweet potatoes, and other hearty veggies are great this way. Throw them in with a roasted chicken pan and even better.
  • ChrisC_77
    Options
    Also, might look into juicing! Look up some good juicing recipes. Sweeten the juice with apple or something like that if you want. Down it goes in less than a minute and you get your micro nutrients you need. Got to get a juicer 1st. If you like this idea.
  • ChrisC_77
    Options
    Probably my entire LIFE - I've hated every kind of pepper (green, red, yellow, etc..) People would sneak them into recipes, but I could always taste them and then spit the food out. These days however, I still hate them..but if they are in something I can eat it.

I also use to hate tomatoes (only one in my family that did), I could eat tomato sauce and such but not a plain tomato. When I hit my 30's for some reason I craved them and began eating them. When I discussed this with a co-worker one day she told me she had just seen something on TV that said that your body changes every 10-15 years and thus what it needs changes too - at one time there was nothing in a tomato my body needed, now it does. I don't know if that study is true or not (probably not) but I know there are many foods I would never eat when I was little, that I love now.

My favorite veggies are peas, corn and potatoes (all the starchy bad ones); but I can do raw cucumbers, carrots, celery; salads, etc. Some veggies I prefer raw, some cooked, some either way. You can hide them in a smoothie as well.

If you're refusing to at least try any of the mentioned methods, then there is no point in this thread at all - but if you are going to try, a lot of good ideas are listed here to make it easier.

I would say that there is a partial truth to your body "needs" sorta leading your to certain foods. But I also think that your taste and preferences change more so. You can get many of the nutritional needs say from a tomato in other frutis and veggies that have a different taste/texture. Some of which you might have liked before.
  • Peanutbutterx
    Options
    what kind of juicer do you have? ive wanted one for awhile but my friend bought a really nice/expensive one and it broke the day after she bought it
  • jnzema
    jnzema Posts: 24
    Options
    My brother is exactly the same as you. For the first thirty years of his life nothing green went down his stomach. One day I brought home some Indian curry and he tried it, and loved it without realizing it had a ton of veggies in it. But Indian curries cook them long enough that they break down. Now I make him a big batch of some sort of curry once a week, I make the sauce first with onions, carrots and celery and than purée it. The texture is hid, it blends completely smooth, and so is the taste. Curry flavor will hide anything!
  • LisaDunn01
    LisaDunn01 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have three recommendations:

1. Grill or broil some veggies - it makes them sweet tasting. Try zucchini, yellow squash, onion, asparagus and tomato. You can coat them with olive oil and sea salt.

2. Make kale chips. If you like potato chips, I'm going to bet you'll like this. Take a bunch of cut up kale, throw into a bag with olive oil and coat. Place on cookie sheet, sprinkle with garlic salt (if you like garlic) or sea salt and bake at 225-275 degrees for no more than 20 minutes or until very lightly browned.

3. HIDE the veggies in a smoothie. My FAVORITE (super sweet - a trainer friend tried it recently and he can't get enough of it) is to blend the following 6 items: 1/2 c. frozen pineapple, 1/2 orange, 1/2 frozen banana, 1 1/2 handfuls of fresh spinach, 1/6 bunch of parsley (stems removed) and 3-4 large fresh basil leaves. Blend really well. Though it's green, you will NOT taste the veggies!
  • LozPenguin
    LozPenguin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Also think it helps if you go into it with the right positive attitude. If you cook up some veges and go into it with a 'yuck, this is gross, sooo don't want to eat this crud.' attitude, it's gonna be a lot harder. If you prepare them, cook them yourself or even try a new recipe, and you're really open minded to giving it a go, it's easier to start appreciating what you're eating. And the sugar thing is so true! Over use of seasonings and artificial flavorings tend to wreck your taste buds a bit. A week away from overuse of sugars/salts/fats and starchy potato-veges might help your sense of subtle flavors redevelop :)
  • Peanutbutterx
    Options
    try sweet potatoes and carrots boiled in apple cider with nut meg and cinnamon.. it sounds weird but its sooo good
  • Yerblonde
    Options
    Go to the library and pick up Jessica Seinfeld's cook book "Deceptively Delicious" and start there! I have fallen in love with her recipes and so have my picky, picky kids.
    She steams and purees veggies and ads them to every day meals, burgers, spaghetti, breads, pancakes etc. Simple yet effective. And the best part, you never know that you are eating more veggies.
    You already like cauliflower so start with that. Steam and puree it and put 1/4C puree in a 6 egg deviled egg recipe. I make deviled eggs for pot lucks and no one ever knows there is veggies in it.

It's hard to do when you cook for yourself and you know in your head you don't like something yet here you are putting it in food you are going to eat. If you can get someone else to cook for you the first few times so you don't see it go in, that might be a good start. That way when you go to make it you'll be like "really, this was in there?".
  • Rodondo123
    Options
    Experiment! You'll find some palatable veggies and a palatable way to eat them. And don't freak out too much because you aren't a fan of a wide variety. Sure that'd be great, but my grandparents lived healthfully into their 90s on meat and potatoes their whole lives. Sometimes we're so hard on ourselves. A nice crisp salad. Some of your favourite veggies raw with dip. Stir frying with a sauce I love works for me! Asparagus is so nice and mild-tasting - great in a stir fry. I discovered grilled veggies are delish on the side of a steak. Now I don't want a tiny mouthful of steak unless there is a piece of red pepper on the fork, too! Even a baked potato has great benefits - load it a little with bacon and chives if you want. Make your own sweet potato fries (so good!). Mix something into a more palatable fruit smoothie. Go to a really nice restaurant and order a meat and veggie meal. I bet you'll like the way they do the veggies. Go home and try to replicate. Make your own spaghetti sauce or buy a good one from the local organic market - okay, okay, tomatoes are a fruit but they're still good for you! Oh, oh... my favourite - make SOUPS!!! Chock full of good stuff and they taste GREAT! I slow cook mine in the crock pot all day. Endless possibilities there and every lunch could be packed with the good stuff! Anyway, don't beat yourself up over it. Find what you like and eat more of that. If you're missing something in your diet, take a supplement and don't lose sleep over it - life's too short. ;)
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    You can hide almost anything is spaghetti sauce. Grate up yellow squash or zuchinni into it. Carrots, grated up.

Ground mushrooms and tomato sauce are easy to hide in meatloaf.

Try sugar snap peas raw. delish
  • auteurfille22
    auteurfille22 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Try mixing both? A slice of pizza loaded with veggies? Or maybe have a meal that is half what you like to eat and half vegetables. Eat the vegetables first and your reward can be your preferred food!