Ladies - weight lifting will make something bulky

Options

Replies

• BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    She looks AMAZING and what she has accomplished deserves never ending praise. It's women like her who inspire others to get up and put some damn weights on a bar. And once they do they become new people. We see it happen around here all the time and it's truly something special.

And let's really try to not let one voice of ignorance take away from a great and inspiring woman.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    The only thing that makes her the exception is that she dedicats the time needed to acheive this goal

That's like saying that anyone could be a star basketball player if they worked hard enough.,The vast majority of people could not develop the strength necessary for that kind of extremely heavy weight lifting, no matter how much they train.

That is completely untrue.

^This

And honestly everyone, just ignore Healthy Gal. It makes the thread the inspiration it was meant to be.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    She looks AMAZING and what she has accomplished deserves never ending praise. It's women like her who inspire others to get up and put some damn weights on a bar. And once they do they become new people. We see it happen around here all the time and it's truly something special.

And let's really try to not let one voice of ignorance take away from a great and inspiring woman.

QFT
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I know women that wrecked their shoulders lifting much less weight that she did, and I really don't like seeing that kind of super heavy weight lifting encouraged.
  • Belinda658
    Belinda658 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    People like Amanda Harris (AKA Barbie Barbell) don't inspire me at all.

They are exceptions to the rule, and the average person that wants to get in shape knows that no matter how hard they work, they will probably never be able to lift anywhere near that much weight.

I am much more inspired by ordinary people that want to get in shape and keep showing up at the gym week after week, and the trainers and coaches that encourage and help them.

Amanda Harris was at one point an ordinary person. Actually, no, she was a little worse off, facing physical limitations that most of us don't even have. Yet with relentless hard work and dedication she not only overcame her limitations, she rose up to break records and became EXTRAORDINARY.

People like you, who live in a world full of negativity, excuses, and obstacles, will have a hard time achieving great things. I pity you.
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Great work.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

You know..this makes me really feel kind of pitiful in a way. I've always made excuses and I am slowly learning to stop doing that and throwing a pity party whenever things turn out harder than I thought..but THIS story really makes me want to kick myself in the butt.

It's really an inspiration! I've been saying I "want" to get into heavy lifting and now I am going to stop wishing and really work at "doing" :flowerforyou:
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Excuse me, but I KNOW women that got injured lifting heavy, and now they have to be very careful of ANY exercises that involve using their shoulder muscles -- including body weight exercises like push ups and planks. So trying to lift heavy set them back in their health and fitness goals. It's much better to have an exercise program where you do a variety of exercises in moderation instead of trying to be a super heavy lifter.

The hell is wrong with you? gtfo out of this thread please.

My friend was killed riding his bike. Therefore nobody should ride bikes?

Heck, why even go outside? It's dangerous out there.
    lol ^this. Seriously, not to mention by the sounds of it your friend was injured because she did something wrong...not because she was lifting properly.
    People like Amanda Harris (AKA Barbie Barbell) don't inspire me at all.

They are exceptions to the rule, and the average person that wants to get in shape knows that no matter how hard they work, they will probably never be able to lift anywhere near that much weight.

I am much more inspired by ordinary people that want to get in shape and keep showing up at the gym week after week, and the trainers and coaches that encourage and help them.
    I think you should pick up a book filled with things like 'facts' instead of spouting off a bunch of rumors. Come back when you have scientific proof that the average women can't eventually lift heavy (ie never).

And if you are inspired by trainers and coaches, you clearly haven't seen the injuries some of them have caused with some of their misinformation.
    If women don't lift heavy, they won't have to be concerned about getting bulky. Moderate lifting is more than enough strength training for most men and women.

As a girl with a completely deformed spine and arthritis, I think this is terrible advice since I'd have to do a million more reps to get the same effect.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    uRGUVLfbaakcHLKvKhAGBjHtaCeVAaGwJzKo.jpg

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/news-and-features/athletes-and-celebrities/17-time-world-champion-powerlifter-barbie-barbell

Meet Amanda Harris (AKA Barbie Barbell). At 21, 5’4” and 125lbs, she is a 17 time World Champion Powerlifter. Amanda has broken 468 state, national, and world records over the last 12 years with 95 competitions, and won all 95 meets.

My biggest and best lifts have been 420lbs. in the squat, 265lbs. with my bench-press and 365lbs. with the deadlift. Little girls are not supposed to be able to do things like that.
    I was diagnosed with acute scoliosis at the age of eight.

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/BarbieBarbell/

Just to bring this thread back on target.

I'm gonna save this picture on my computer as my screen-saver - so whenever I don't feel motivated to exercise I can look at it and go, if she can go that far I can lift my *kitten* off the sofa and do my workout today :drinker:
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    You do realize "lifting heavy" is a relative term-as in heavy for you. Heavy to the woman here who lifts and to Amanda Harris are clearly two different things. I applaud the women on my friends list who lift heavy. They look fantastic because of it. And they get to eat more than i do.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    To try and get us back in the right direction:
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/BarbieBarbell/

And another one of these while we're at it...
    869768.jpg
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I love this, thank you for sharing it!
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I am 56 yrs old and recently started Stronglifts 5 x 5. I know that I will never reach anywhere near the weight that Amanda is lifting, but what this story is doing for me, is to inspire me to be and achieve the very best that I can be and not to settle for anything less. Amanda and many others who achieve the seemingly unattainable, are the people we need in society to inspire us, to keep improving ourselves.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Another great lifter with a superb attitude is

marilou-dozois-prevost-2010-10-5-12-12-15.jpg

Marilou Dozois Prevost
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

This topic was derailed for several pages and I believe is back on track now. Please note that I have deleted many posts in this topic, primarily because they quoted content that itself has been removed. I respectfully ask that everyone keep in mind what an OP's intent is when posting a topic and to please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting.
    2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

I ask that people report posts they feel are violations of our community guidelines, instead of contributing negatively to the conversation by attacking other posts. It is better to report and ignore what we don't like that to further derail a topic by making it personal.

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

Thanks to everyone for your understanding.

Peace,
    Olivia
    MyFitnessPal Community Manager
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Olivia. Good call.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    SPwNtEilECsTRrmwcDVtQiQKBJwVVAPFYDAWe.jpg
    :noway: what a hulkster lol
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    SPwNtEilECsTRrmwcDVtQiQKBJwVVAPFYDAWe.jpg
    :noway: what a hulkster lol
    Please keep posting pictures of her. She's very.....um....inspirational. Yeah, that's it, inspirational. :wink:
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Fanfreakingtastic!!
  • jclark21
    jclark21 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    bump. I love it!