If you could move to another country where would you go?

Options

Replies

• FlemishFairy
    FlemishFairy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'd like to move to Ireland (lot's of green and they have an organic supermarket that delivers at home...) or Barcelona (I'm in love with that city). I'm going to start looking at job offers in Dublin or Cork soon (I'm bilingual and they search for that pretty often in contact centers)
    if I'm really going to dream big I'd like to live in the us. I'd imagine California is quite nice. And for some reason Nebraska... it just sounds awesome... Nebraska!
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I'm from Scotland and have travelled pretty widely, so my choices are based on experience rather than guesswork. My first choice would be to move to New Zealand (we've seriously contemplated it at times).

Singapore would be lovely but we don't earn enough to be comfortable there.

Canada might be a possibility but I haven't spent enough time there to feel I'm making an informed decision.

Italy might be a possibility and I'd be quite happy in lots of parts of France or Spain (I've got a good base in French, Italian and Spanish, but my husband doesn't).

I couldn't live in Australia or the USA because the politics make me deeply uncomfortable.

I couldn't live in India because a lot of aspects of the culture make me uncomfortable (even though I absolutely adore the country and the women were so wonderful to me).

I wouldn't even live in England because of the politics down there (England is Tory and Scotland is very definitely not).
  • bandedsandi
    bandedsandi Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I did move! I lived in Japan, England, Italy and then came to Turkey. If I hadn't gotten married, I think I'd have gone to Canada next.

I love Turkey!!

I moved to Turkey as well! Originally from South Africa, but wouldn't want to go back there. Love Turkey, but would loooove to move to the Netherlands eventually...
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I did it - I was born in South Africa and move to New Zealand 16 years ago - loving it here :-)

Would love to go and live somewhere in South East Asia for a few years - but then come back to NZ
    I'm American and have lived in many places, with a long stint in Russia (in fact, I was married there). When our son was old enough to start school, we moved to the States. Even with all of our faults, there is nowhere else I'd want to raise a child; a kid can truly be a kid here. It's just imperative to have him always revisit his roots so he doesn't become another clueless American who takes what he has for granted. We have been here coming on 6 years now, and our son is truly thriving and we don't regret a thing. USA!
    I did move! I lived in Japan, England, Italy and then came to Turkey. If I hadn't gotten married, I think I'd have gone to Canada next.
    I've lived in Hong Kong, Japan, New York & Portugal & whilst I loved them all I'm happy to be back in the good old UK :happy: :happy:

Canada or Australia? Canada all day, Montreal or BC, Vancouver Islands are the best places on earth :tongue:
    I did too! Moved from Canada to Indonesia, Germany and am now in Japan.. Not sure where next.. Would love to live in Hong Kong but maybe Europe again or maybe back to Canada... decisions decisions!

Great to hear from people who actually went with it. Pat on the back to you all. (-:
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I'm from the UK and would love to go somewhere else, although it would be hard taking the kids away from their grandparents and cousin. Hubby is off to the States for 6 months soon and we'll be going for a few weeks to visit, so who knows, we may fall in love with Virginia and stay there.

When I was at school I always wanted to go and live in France (used to be pretty fluent) and would still probably go there if I could get hubby to step on French soil!

Through my work I see too many people trying (and failing) to get into Australia, so while I'd love to go there for holidays, I've no particular yearning to move there. Don't think there isn't a country I wouldn't like to visit for a short time though
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I've never been outside of Canada in my life, so I'd need some extended visits to make sure it's right for me, but my first choice would be the Netherlands, as that is my primary ethnic heritage and I have strong ties there. My second choice would be one of the Scandinavian countries, can't decide which (I'm part Danish as well, but Sweden seems to have the higher rate of non-religious people, which appeals to me). Spain has been calling to me lately, with its scenery and food and culture, but I don't know if I could live in a predominantly Catholic country for an extended period of time... I'd feel awkward and would have trouble finding especially like-minded people, I think. I have enough trouble with that, even in Canada!
  • juliedor
    juliedor Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I love traveling but I'm always happy to get back to Australia.
  • silverainn
    Options
    I've lived in the US, UK (Scotland), Sweden, and Norway. I'd love to live somewhere warm again, but my boyfriend hates the heat. We're considering Denmark or New Zealand in the future.. if it were just up to me, Australia would be on the list too.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I did move.

I'm from England but have lived in Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Beijing and I'm currently living in Taiwan....back to the UK soon though boooooo :(

Just so you know - its raining. :bigsmile:

Thank you for that information. It's warm and sunny here in Bahrain, with a nice cool breeze.

I miss the British weather on occasion though.... and I miss the British countryside a lot.

My husband wants to move to Germany next. He's even teaching me German.
  • Kryxx
    Kryxx Posts: 34
    Options
    Canada, New zealand
  • JaiDevine
    Options
    I would say, Japan...I've long been intrigued by the culture, art, and friends from Japan! But I must say,hh the list is pretty lengthy...Canada, Australia, and Fiji are amongst my favs!
  • Tennolina
    Tennolina Posts: 2,413
    Options
    Ireland.... it's amazingly beautiful.
  • mineboy
    mineboy Posts: 2,478 Member
    Options
    Australia, its Beautiful here
  • Tennolina
    Tennolina Posts: 2,413
    Options
    Australia, its Beautiful here

Never been "down under". May need to visit! :)
  • Zoesmum025
    Options
    Somewhere with nutritious, calorie-free chocoate!
  • Ofaatu
    Ofaatu Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I honestly wouldn't move anywhere, pretty happy with Australia. But if I absolutely had to, it would be New Zealand.
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    American wanting to go British.
  • tinydancer4
    tinydancer4 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    The USA! I've been there a few times and I just think it's amazing. Probably NYC, but Nashville, Seattle or San Francisco would be cool too...
  • daydream_believer
    Options
    ireland!!! i have always always wanted to visit/live in ireland, i love the people, their accents, the music and the beautiful scenery (from what i have seen in movies and on the internet etc haha). however being from australia its not exactly close.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Don't go to China, I lived there for a year, All Chinese men smoke that's 1.2 billion people smoking in your face.
    I certainly appreciate Australia a lot more now.
    Cheers, Ian.

Just because they lookalike to you doesn't mean they are the same gender... at least half of the 1.2 billion are women, I know western media make it seem like they kill all their girls but that is simply not true.

P.S. In case sarcasm was lost in typing for some, teehee!