If you could move to another country where would you go?

Options

Replies

• tcalamity
    tcalamity Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Canada ♥ or New Zealand
  • kbitzonefour
    kbitzonefour Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Cambodia.

So many business opportunities.
  • joycebug
    joycebug Posts: 309
    Options
    New Zealand...the scenery is gorgeous!!
  • southern_star
    southern_star Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Ireland
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    switzerland
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    A lot of my English friends say they'd like to go to America and a lot of my American friends say they'd like to come over to England, I think we should switch for a bit :laugh:
  • silverainn
    Options
    I see all these other posts from people that have lived in all these other countries and I just have to wonder how do you afford it? What do you do for income?

I worked in various countries over the last 10 years, and now I study. It was fairly easy to find work before 2008, and then I moved to Norway, which hasn't really been hit by economic problems. As for studying, I have dual-citizenship with an EU country, and have lived in the country I'm in long enough to qualify for student aid (plus it helps that there's no tuition cost).

It's a lot more difficult to move now (to Europe anyway), unless you're highly-skilled and work in a field lacking people. EU rules have become very strict about hiring outside the EEA. It's possible to get a student visa, but it doesn't give you the right to stay permanently after studies are finished.
  • Marsalforn1
    Options
    France. Been here 27 years and love it.
  • LilMissDB
    Options
    Everyone can move.

If you want to move, do it.

I appreciate your can do attitude but surely it's a tad more complicated than that.

For example, unless I marry a US citizen or am sponsored by my job (and might I add that my qualification isn't recognised in the US) I couldn't possibly acquire a visa.

Once I'm 32, I also wouldn't be eligible for any longer term visa for Canada or the UK (except that I'm married to a Brit).

Also obviously there is some kind of financial commitment. Some people can barely afford rent let alone a flight!

That said, if my qualification would transfer as easily (or if it were a 2 year visa which would make the effort worth it), I would move to Canada for a while so I could travel more on that side of the world. I already live in the UK. I would happily go back to Australia. I would also love to live in one of the scandinavian countries (if my degree were recognised there).
  • Fit_Vixen1
    Options
    England
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I moved from Wales to England 40 years ago. We have no poisonous spiders, only one poisonous snake (of which I have only ever seen one - and that was asleep). Temperate climate, hmmm? What else, oh yes, my professional qualification is recognised here. When I retire I might think again.
  • NotThatEZ
    Options
    Back to the United States! Not a fan of England in general after living here for four years :/ Only good thing about here is that it's super cheap to travel to OTHER countries :D
  • FabnFit2013
    FabnFit2013 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Australia
  • ShenanigansOHoolihan
    Options
    Italy is the most realistic because my husband is on board for that one. I'd like to move to Australia to work as a biologist. I would also move to South or Central America.
  • swirl121
    Options
    Thailand - without a doubt! Lived there for a year and Lord willing will get to move back soon but for much longer!
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    New Zealand. They are making currency that is Doctor Who themed and LTR themed.
  • justicer68
    justicer68 Posts: 1,223
    Options
    Right now anywhere that it is warm! Do NOT like cold weather.

Would love to check out Ireland, Italy or Australia though.
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Someplace tropical :)
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    UK or Italy
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Already did - UK to the US.

When the kids are old enough to kick out, the wife and I have our eye on NZ, Aus or Canada. The wife (who is American) would like to live in England for a while. But with 20% sales tax and nearly a quid fifty for a liter of fuel, I can't say I'm keen to return :laugh: