A Suggestion for Americans

Options

Replies

• droneofvelvet
    droneofvelvet Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Thats a good idea!! I like to pick up things that weigh the amount I lost-- it really helps you see just how much is gone.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    You know you probably get 200 people click on this just for the title... 90% of us ready to fight if its an insult to Americans. Thanks for the conversion. I had been meaning to look it up since I see stones on here so often.
  • leaderzzz
    leaderzzz Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I agree... stones an pounds does it for me too!!! its nice to mark off each 1/2 stone lost, and what a feeling when you drop down to the next stone bracket :-)

It always sounds better and more dramatic when spoken. I /he/ she has lost 2 stone in 8 weeks and sounds much better than 28llbs ???3£$£%"£$?????
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    "Stones" is stupid. Use lbs or kg.

What is stupid about it? I lived in Australia for several years and used kilos. If I am in London with friends, I use stones. When in Rome.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Great idea!
  • meaningful99
    Options
    I spent several months studying in London when I was in college. My two schoolmates (also American) and I rented a furnished flat that included a bathroom scale. The day we moved in, my roommate stepped on the scale and marveled, "I only weigh ten!" "Ten what?" "I don't know, but I love this country!"
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Here in the States, we recognize fractions of pounds.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    As a fellow Brit I no longer like using stones, it seems so backward to have stones and then lbs too.

I'm happy to stick with lbs.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I spent several months studying in London when I was in college. My two schoolmates (also American) and I rented a furnished flat that included a bathroom scale. The day we moved in, my roommate stepped on the scale and marveled, "I only weigh ten!" "Ten what?" "I don't know, but I love this country!"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Seriously??! Multiplying and dividing by 14, and then just saying the leftover in pounds anyway??! Ugh. Not a chance. But do what works for you.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Of course, here in the States, one must be cautious when telling others one has lost "two stones" regardless of the time frame... I said that to my husband and he replied, "Really? I don't remember your ever having a pair!" :blushing:
  • leaderzzz
    leaderzzz Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Of course, here in the States, one must be cautious when telling others one has lost "two stones" regardless of the time frame... I said that to my husband and he replied, "Really? I don't remember your ever having a pair!" :blushing:

hehe...
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Well I've gone from 24 stone 6lbs to 15 stone I guess
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Thats a good idea!! I like to pick up things that weigh the amount I lost-- it really helps you see just how much is gone.
    . Makes me think

Very true, my 4 stone lost is a very large sack of spuds most would struggle to lift easily. yet I carried the equivalent around for a few years everyday
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Just for fun we could start measuring time and distance differently too. Example sentence: "I lost 3 stone, 6 lbs in 4 score, 7 days by running 100 chains a day." :laugh:
  • cazzer69
    cazzer69 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Well I understood ya :)

47 days and 220 yards :)
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Just for fun we could start measuring time and distance differently too. Example sentence: "I lost 3 stone, 6 lbs in 4 score, 7 days by running 100 chains a day." :laugh:

Oh crikey! Can you imagine the confusion. And suppose we added cwt to the mix! Or the odd furlong here and there?
    :noway:
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

quote this ^^^^^^^

And ~I think in the interests of accuracy a score is 20, so 4 score and 7 would be 87 days...
    Sorry to be a stickler, but it's an English thing. lol
    :laugh:
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Great idea - thanks!
  • cazzer69
    cazzer69 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

[/quote]

quote this ^^^^^^^

And ~I think in the interests of accuracy a score is 20, so 4 score and 7 would be 87 days...
    Sorry to be a stickler, but it's an English thing. lol
    :laugh:
    [/quote]

Nope, you are a hundred percent right. And that serves me right for being a smart *kitten* :)