If you could move to another country where would you go?

Options

Replies

• thescrumisfun
    Options
    Sweden.
  • rvicini
    rvicini Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Honestly, travel, all over... living.. where I am exactly... in my house, my town. Sights are cute, but working for a living is something else..
  • rose595
    Options
    I am living in Italy now, but i really want to go back home CANADA!!:smile:
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    I COULD move to another country. The thing is, I don't WANT to. I live in the United States. While there are many countries I would love to visit, there is nowhere else I'd rather live. Now if you were to ask me what state I'd like to move to, that's another story. But another country? No thanks.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Ecuador
  • prettyblu
    Options
    New Zealand!
  • travlinjess
    travlinjess Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I could, so I did! My man, fat cat, and I moved from the USA to Portugal. Loving it so far!!

Lived in Ireland, France, and Honduras for a short time before this, so I guess you can say I like getting around.

When ready to move again, I'm thinking Australia or New Zealand.

Ultimate move will be retiring in Jamaica, but it will be many years before that happens.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    That's hard for me to say, since I haven't really been anywhere. If I were to leave Canada, though...I think I'd want to live somewhere warm and wonderful. But, can I have warm and wonderful with hurricanes?
  • melcookson
    melcookson Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    America, or Nice, South of France (or Monaco, round the corner)
  • chocolateluvr80
    chocolateluvr80 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If I were to move to another country it would be India. I have family there.
  • KainStar
    KainStar Posts: 197
    Options
    Japan or France
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Canada or Australia
  • nekoface
    nekoface Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Netherlands.
  • Elma1975
    Options
    Somewhere where it is mostly sunny and warm, South America for example. While I´m single with two children I´m not going anywhere but who knows when they are older or grown up.
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I could, so I did! My man, fat cat, and I moved from the USA to Portugal. Loving it so far!!

Lived in Ireland, France, and Honduras for a short time before this, so I guess you can say I like getting around.

When ready to move again, I'm thinking Australia or New Zealand.

Ultimate move will be retiring in Jamaica, but it will be many years before that happens.

Awesome story. I'm sure you'll get there ^^
  • MamaEdmund
    MamaEdmund Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Ireland or Brasil.
  • alliepee11
    Options
    Either Ireland or Australia.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Everyone can move.

If you want to move, do it.

I appreciate your can do attitude but surely it's a tad more complicated than that.

For example, unless I marry a US citizen or am sponsored by my job (and might I add that my qualification isn't recognised in the US) I couldn't possibly acquire a visa.

Once I'm 32, I also wouldn't be eligible for any longer term visa for Canada or the UK (except that I'm married to a Brit).

Also obviously there is some kind of financial commitment. Some people can barely afford rent let alone a flight!

That said, if my qualification would transfer as easily (or if it were a 2 year visa which would make the effort worth it), I would move to Canada for a while so I could travel more on that side of the world. I already live in the UK. I would happily go back to Australia. I would also love to live in one of the scandinavian countries (if my degree were recognised there).

Sure, it can be difficult - but moving to a country for a short while, studying, getting a job is always possible. You already speak English so the biggest barrier is non-existent - you could look into the nonimmigrant visas for the US to start. Or, since you are Australian, look into the E3 visa. They are quite a unique opportunity: http://london.usembassy.gov/e3.html

If you say it isn't possible, then it isn't.

But then how have I done it legally? Education programs, marriage and work have each served me to move. As a commonwealth citizen, moving to Canada is certainly a possibility. Want to make it easier? Learn French.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    italy
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I see all these other posts from people that have lived in all these other countries and I just have to wonder how do you afford it? What do you do for income?

I worked in various countries over the last 10 years, and now I study. It was fairly easy to find work before 2008, and then I moved to Norway, which hasn't really been hit by economic problems. As for studying, I have dual-citizenship with an EU country, and have lived in the country I'm in long enough to qualify for student aid (plus it helps that there's no tuition cost).

It's a lot more difficult to move now (to Europe anyway), unless you're highly-skilled and work in a field lacking people. EU rules have become very strict about hiring outside the EEA. It's possible to get a student visa, but it doesn't give you the right to stay permanently after studies are finished.

Work for a company that appreciates my "foreign" skills - for me, it is large healthcare concerns or their service providers.
    While it is harder to move to Europe than 20 years ago, it is incorrect to say that one cannot get a permanent residence permit from studies - if one gets as graduate level degree, it is still possible to remain in France, Spain, Germany - from there the rest of the EU is open. Even with a temp res permit, as long as you can work, it is possible to get sponsorship - I know literally dozens of people living in Germany from outside of the EU. The hoops are possible to manage. Anyone wanting to move to Germany can begin by looking at the expat community: toytowngermany.com
    If you have NO skill sets, yep, it is going to be difficult - otherwise you plan and create a "sellable you".