WHY AM I STILL FAT :(

Options
1235»

Replies

• purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    You feel fat and disgusting at 123-126? Odd, but ok then.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Without being able to you your food we can't help you with that. Without seeing a full body pics it's hard to comment on that.

Here is what I THINK is going on based on past MFPers.

1. you're probably not eating enough
    2. you are probably skinny fat. Let me explain before you get sad.

All this mean is you are at a good weight but you don't have a lot or any muscle tone. This is easily fixed
    with weight lifting. Feed your muscle with the food and eat your calories and you'll see big changes fast.

I'll give you an example.
    My trainer Dean married his wife when she was 99 lbs (5'1) and a size 6.
    She is now 115 lbs (still 5'1) and a size ZERO.
    How is this possible. She lifts heavy and eats her food.

Now go get that body you want.
    Got it in one.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Keep exercising. It may be that you still have too much fat compared to muscle. I have a picture of my daughter and her best friend from a few summers ago. My daughter's friend was at the lower end of her healthy weight range, maybe even a little bit underweight, but she had very little muscle tone so not much shape. My daughter had been working out, and although she was near the top of her healthy weight range, maybe even a bit overweight, she looked much more fit.
  • Jellytotss
    Options
    You are not fat, you have self esteem issues. The best thing you can do is stop criticizing yourself and start to see yourself in a more positive light. As a real "fat person" at 270lbs, people that are les than 130lbs complaining they are fat irritate the **** out of me!!

Why would it irritate the **** out of you? Everyone has their own issues and I'm certainly not qualified to say whether or not the OP needs counseling, but lets just assume that a 5'5" 110 pound person were on this post feeling they are hugely overweight? I'd feel compassion and want to help. I don't understand being angry over something like that. We all have our demons. If people come here for help, encouragement, anything at all, they deserve that much for putting themselves out there. People should treat others the way they would like to be treated. Anyone's comment on "I'm fat" - regardless of their height/weight is no reflection on anyone else. Have we become that ego centric as a society? I hope not!

Also someone who weighs less than the 130 pounds you mention could still be overweight if they are quite short!
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Another vote for strenght training. Just to give you an idea of what it did for me: I am just over 5'5, 132 pounds, wear a size 4-6. That's the same size i used to wear a couple of years ago..at 118 pounds. Plus i look better naked now in my opinion, not as much jiggle.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Another vote for strenght training. Just to give you an idea of what it did for me: I am just over 5'5, 132 pounds, wear a size 4-6. That's the same size i used to wear a couple of years ago..at 118 pounds. Plus i look better naked now in my opinion, not as much jiggle.
    ^This. Weights stop the shakes.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Eat at a slight caloric deficit (200 - 300 cals) for a few months and start a good progressive strength training routine such as stronglifts 5 x 5. After a few months, if you are still not happy, you may need to do a recomp where you bulk and cut...but no need to make decision now.

Edited as I cannot type apparently
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Lift weights and eat more food.

I'm heavier than I was last Valentine's day in my profile pic but I look ten times better!

Weight isn't everything.

I am also 5'5 and my lowest weight was 124lbs and I felt great! But right now I'm in and around 130 most of the time (I think...trying not to go by weight any more so I gave my scales away) but because I built muscle and toned up with the 30 day shred workout at the end of last year, my body composition is just much, MUCH better!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    After giving birth to 3 large baby boys, my hips will never be the same, but even before kids when I had a good body shape and numbers, my hips were 12 inches bigger than my waist. I hate having to getting larger pant/dress sizes for my hips.
    But I have been doing strength training with some weights (light still) and am seeing a difference. Everything just feels smoother and tighter. My measurements aren't much difference, but clothes sure look better!

Try weights.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I used to be skinny fat. now I look better because I lift weights. nuff said
  • Sincere24
    Sincere24 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    the OP seems to have disappeared, you guys scared her off with talks of BDD and seeking a therapist. Hopefully she read through some of the other insightful comments.
  • charbar217
    Options
    Just adding this to all the good advice --- a factor to take into consideration is your body frame type. It certainly sounds like you are in a healthy weight range - as others have said perhaps more weight bearing exercises for toning and muscle. A pound of fat and a pound of muscle weigh the same but muscle takes up less room....

here's a link to determining your bodyframe. http://www.livestrong.com/article/134661-the-ideal-body-weight-body-frame-size/
  • saminmio
    saminmio Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add one other thing. Those other girls who say they are a 4 - well my daughter has always said she was at least 2 sizes smaller than she is. Also the more money you spend on clothing amazingly the smaller the size says it is. That's called marketing.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    You want results too quickly.

Put some more time in at the gym and relax a bit (you can miss a day or two).

Sounds like you want to be trim and not "flabby" but you have to remember that everyone has at least SOME flab. If you carry it around your middle it will make you look bigger than you actually are, to yourself at least.

Just take a breath, keep up the dedication at the gym, and don't focus on the scale but what you see in the mirror.

Jean sizes really don't matter, if you are proportionate and in a healthy weight range you look great to everyone, even if not to yourself (yet).

Seriously, to people who keep throwing around the word "therapy", I get it that she used the taboo "I feel fat" when shes not actually overweight but the BDD diagnoses getting thrown around so much is a bit annoying. I WAS fat at 130lbs (5ft1) and have felt fat at 115....I'm feeling pretty good about myself now that I've started lifting and eating better. First thought shouldn't be: Go see a shrink.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add one other thing. Those other girls who say they are a 4 - well my daughter has always said she was at least 2 sizes smaller than she is. Also the more money you spend on clothing amazingly the smaller the size says it is. That's called marketing.

while I've heard of vanity sizing, I shop at target. I'm 5'5" 133 lbs and almost too small for my size 6's. I've also had two kids to add to the equation.

I vote for maintaining your weight and being patient, lifting heavy. I've spent my entire weight loss lifting and I love it but you have to give it time.
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to lift some heavy stuff and change your body composition and stop focusing on scale weight.
  • indybost
    Options
    Im 5'5was 145pouns ans worked. Hard to get thier, I thought. At 145 I was still fat, now after I gave birth to my beautiful baby girl, in at 215 and would kill to be were I was I promised my self I wouldn't be soo hard on myself this. Time around, ...u no ur not fat!! ..u may feel fat but sorry deep down u no it could be worse, and being in a size 8dosent mean ur fat!!! U probably got some good curves!!! Own it!! Who wants to be a stick figure ..and ya tone up that will make u feel better!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    This thread is from January. OP hasn't been back since then.