What are your 5 essential foods in healthy eating?

Options

Replies

• jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Eggs
    Laughing Cow
    Fruits
    Salmon
    All Veggies
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I buy food for the week every Sunday night or early Monday morning and take to work with me. My list is:

Greek yogurt (I try different types)
    oatmeal
    cottage cheese
    spinach and salad greens, cucumber
    celery
    Hummus
    raw broccoli and carrots (go in salad)
    cherry tomatoes
    mushrooms
    strawberries, plums, blueberries, oranges
    sara lee 45 calorie multigrain bread
    sargento ultra thin cheese slices
    deli turkey, deli ham
    a whole rotisserie chicken
    tuna packets

I make a huge salad and top it with chicken 3 out of the 5 days for lunch. Sometimes I'll make a sandwich with the deli meat, add veggies and cheese on the 45 calorie bread. I top my salad with tuna some days. I make steel cut oatmeal and add protein powder to it. I dip celery sticks in hummus for a snack or add cherry tomatoes and pepper to half a cup of cottage cheese.

I also have a complete measuring spoon and cup set and a food scale at work.

For dinner - I make wild caught salmon with either scallops or shrimp in the oven, with lime juice and fresh garlic and onion. I add a veggie - asparagus, broccoli, brussel sprouts, etc. Other times I'll have grilled chicken, or shrimp, or a small steak with a veggie, and occasionally add a sweet potato.
  • inkysmurf
    Options
    Eggs
    Full Fat Natural Youghurt
    Frozen Blueberries & Raspberries
    Salmon
    Sardines
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Chicken
    black beans
    berries
    oolong tea or green tea
    spinach (and dark green leafy)
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    1) Eggs
    2) Green vegetables - Broccoli, Spinach, Cucumber
    3) Turkey - cheap and lean
    4) Real butter, none of that "light" crap
    5) Burgen Soya and Linseed bread, because I like sandwiches and it's full of protein, fibre and healthy fats, and low carb.
  • carmenni
    Options
    eggs
    chicken
    raw veggies
    spinach
    apples
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Fage Nonfat yogurt
    Frozen wild blueberries
    Wild caught salmon
    Ground bison
    Boneless chicken
    avocados
    cacao nibs
    almonds
    apples
    spring mix greens
    red bell peppers...okay so I overachieved...
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt
    Proteins (chicken,pork,beef,eggs,fish)
    oatmeal
    Green veggies
    Conviction (Ok, not a food but probably the most important thing.)
  • Helenotero48
    Helenotero48 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Almonds
    tuna
    broccoli
    hummus with pretzels sticks
    SOBE water :happy:
  • kimika23
    kimika23 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I buy food for the week every Sunday night or early Monday morning and take to work with me. My list is:

Greek yogurt (I try different types)
    oatmeal
    cottage cheese
    spinach and salad greens, cucumber
    celery
    Hummus
    raw broccoli and carrots (go in salad)
    cherry tomatoes
    mushrooms
    strawberries, plums, blueberries, oranges
    sara lee 45 calorie multigrain bread
    sargento ultra thin cheese slices
    deli turkey, deli ham
    a whole rotisserie chicken
    tuna packets

I make a huge salad and top it with chicken 3 out of the 5 days for lunch. Sometimes I'll make a sandwich with the deli meat, add veggies and cheese on the 45 calorie bread. I top my salad with tuna some days. I make steel cut oatmeal and add protein powder to it. I dip celery sticks in hummus for a snack or add cherry tomatoes and pepper to half a cup of cottage cheese.

I also have a complete measuring spoon and cup set and a food scale at work.

For dinner - I make wild caught salmon with either scallops or shrimp in the oven, with lime juice and fresh garlic and onion. I add a veggie - asparagus, broccoli, brussel sprouts, etc. Other times I'll have grilled chicken, or shrimp, or a small steak with a veggie, and occasionally add a sweet potato.

I think I just found my food hero! This is so similar to what we eat, but I never thought about bringing a measuring spoon, scale, etc. to work. Do your co-workers ever give you a hard time for taking up all the fridge space? Luckily we have two fridges at work, but they do fill up pretty quickly during the week. Love your post, though! I'm printing this for my next trip to Earth Fare (my favorite local grocer).

Thanks!
  • steadyrollinwoman
    Options
    How do you fix your black beans in the crock pot? I love them too and just brought some dried ones. So much cheaper. While I'm at it I guess my top five would be:
    fat free greek yogurt
    oatmeal
    wasa crispbread
    smuckers all natural peanut butter (mix it up and keep it in the fridge, it won't separate)
    lots of veggies

:smile:
  • lhgalant
    lhgalant Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    1. eggs - I buy farm fresh eggs from a lady I work with. I'll usually do 1 whole egg to 3 egg whites
    2. chicken breast - I eat A LOT of chicken breasts - grilled or baked with just some Mrs. Dash or fresh pressed garlic
    3. greek yogurt - I like the Dannon Light & Fit greek yogurt b/c it has the lowest calories of any greek yogurts; only 80 cals per serving
    4. Franks Red Hot - I use this A LOT to put on top of meat and veggies
    5. broccoli - mostly just buy frozen & boil it. I season with a little Franks Red Hot
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Protein

Carbs

Fat

Water

Ice Cream
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Fage Plain Greek Yogurt
    Kale
    Egg Whites
    Almonds
    CHOCOLATE
  • Sunflowergirl1
    Sunflowergirl1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Dairy: I consider low and reduced fat dairy to be highly processed food, so I enjoy moderate portions of the organic, full fat (grass fed whenever possible) versions. So much more satisfying, less sugar and less of those unpronounceable franken-ingredients. :). For the cheeses I prefer the strong flavored such as blue cheese, Romano. Gruyere, etc. since a little goes a long way.

Fats: organic butter, olive oil, coconut oil, avocado, nuts and seeds, one ingredient peanut butter.

Proteins: chicken breast, shrimp, scallops, clams, tuna, sockeye salmon, pork loin, grass fed beef, locally farmed eggs, non-cured bacon, non-cured deli turkey, ham and beef.

Veggies: (organic whenever possible) carrots, red peppers, sugar snap peas, pea pods, celery, spinach, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, Brussels sprouts, green beans, cauliflower, romaine, broccoli, garlic, bean sprouts, squash, sweet potatoes, potatoes.

Fruits: (organic whenever possible) blueberries, apples, raspberries, bananas, oranges, kiwi, pineapple, mango, strawberries.

I do eat some whole grains, and "regular" pasta (don't like the whole grain versions) but they don't make up much of my daily intake anymore, which I didn't anticipate or make a conscious priority, but is just happening.
  • autumnsnow786
    autumnsnow786 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Fruits
    Salads
    Salmon
    Kellogg's cornflakes
    Corn

I get all of it at stop and shop
  • lhs1965
    lhs1965 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Fish (Any mild white fish)
    Trader Joes Crunchy Almond Butter
    Greek Yogurt (lots of protein)
    Any kind fresh fruits and vegtables
    Going to add rice pasta this week
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    -Fruits (all kinds)
    -Granola bars (Clif and Kind)
    -GREEN TEA! (yes, it's not technically a food, I know)
    -Veggies (all kinds)
    -whole wheat pasta/bread
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Protein

Carbs

Fat

Water

Ice Cream

LOL.
  • Amy967
    Amy967 Posts: 20
    Options
    apples, split peas(or any peas,beans,lentils), cheese(low-cal), brown bread and whole grain rye and oats...:D