Milk vs. Almond Milk....should I switch?

Options
I have a bowl of Special K almost every morning with 1% Milk.
I should I switch to Almond Milk? Is it better for you? What does it taste like?

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a milk/lactose sensitivity, there's no real reason to switch for health reasons.
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    in the nutrition class they reccomened switching to skim milk or reduced fat. they do not reccomend your almond or soy milk.
  • cayadear
    cayadear Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    omg.

1 cup Special K Red Berry + 1 cup Silk Vanilla Almond Milk = favorite breakfast ever. It's so good.

But I am also slightly lactose-intolerant, so almond milk makes sense for me.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You seem to be pretty low on protein as it is. switching to almond milk will further reduce the amount of protein you are taking in, as it has less than 1g/cup vs. 8-9/cup for milk.
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    My doctor suggested I switch to skim milk. I grew up on 2%. As an adult I've always bought 1%. At first buying the skim was really strange for me because it tasted so watery, but you become accustomed. Now any fatter milk just tastes like cream to me.

I would suggest going the skim milk route.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    It's up to you which ever you perfer. No real advantage to one over the other both have beneficial and negative properties.
  • MrGuitarDude
    Options
    If you want less fat and less cals than I say sure go for it. I only ever have it with my protein shakes so not sure about the taste of it by itself. I don't care much for milk so I use the Silk unsweetened almond milk.
  • jonisteenhoek
    jonisteenhoek Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I switched to almond milk after my brother convinced me to try it. I love it! I actually really love it on Special K Vanilla Almond cereal! If you buy the "original" it is a little lower in calorie count, but if I remember correctly it has more calcium than regular milk. Maybe give it a try, if you like it, good and if you don't, then you don't ever have to buy it again.
  • tigerdactyl
    tigerdactyl Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I love the taste of almond milk, but I guess it depends on how much you're counting on your milk nutritionally. You can get almond milk that goes as low as 30 calories, but if you're depending on the fat and protein in your milk you won't get it with almond. That stuff can be made up for in other places, so it just depends on your personal goals.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I like almond milk and the unsweetened vanilla can be as low as 30 calories per cup depending on the brand. I use it in cereals and cook with it. My boys didn't even notice when I switched milk for almond milk in their pasta roni.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    You seem to be pretty low on protein as it is. switching to almond milk will further reduce the amount of protein you are taking in, as it has less than 1g/cup vs. 8-9/cup for milk.

^^^^ agreed. I personally use almond milk, but that is because I am not really a milk drinker, and I prefer the flavor in my cereal and recipes. I get plenty of protein and lactose in my normal daily diet, so I'm not depriving my body of anything. So, for me it is just a preference, but it depends on your individual dietary needs.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    It's a personal preference.

I don't really like dairy milk so I use almond milk - Blue Diamond, Trader Joe's brand, Shoprite brand, or Aldi brand.
    I buy the original - sweetened kind - 60 cals a cup

But I don't drink it straight, I use it for baking, protein shakes, coffee, cereal
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I use unsweetened almond milk because I like it and it has a longer shelf life than regular milk and I don't drink it that fast. I use it in protein shakes and oatmeal usually.

It's true that it doesn't have as much protein though, so that's something to consider. I think it's really mostly a matter of personal preference.
  • barrattandrew
    Options
    I made the switch to skimmed milk, but then also supplement with whey protein shakes. I make my own almond milk, sweetened with a bit of honey and really like it.

Steep 1 cup of almonds overnight in water
    BBKwhwkCAAAURgE.jpg

Take out the water put the softened almonds in a blender with 3 - 4 cups of fresh water
    BBKwnTqCcAABrph.jpg
    Blend on full power and you'll have a milky consistency.

Strain through a sieve and cloth
    BBKw0TbCMAEk0n3.jpg

Your off, you can test run with your own then!
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    Yes you should but mainly because silk unsweetened vanilla almond milk is so yummy on cereal.

I add 1/4 scoop vanilla protein powder, it is better macros than dairy milk (less sugars, more protein)
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Old school thinking is stick with dairy; however, dairy has been surfacing as being detrimental to various issues in health. I am not trying to change anyone's mind but I avoid dairy as much as possible.

Aside from it being weird and un-natural, we are the only species that drinks another animals milk meant to nurture their babies,

Since it is loaded with toxins, if you are going to drink try to get hormone free milk. Today’s cows produce much, much more milk than they did in the past. This is due in great part to drugs, antibiotics, and artificial hormones. Many studies have shown connections between the hormones in dairy products and the formation of hormone-related cancers. By avoiding animal milk products, you have a better chance of avoiding breast, prostate, colon, and other cancers.

Dairy products have been found by researchers to be a leading cause of atherosclerosis, heart attacks and strokes.

There is more, but likely you will be fine no matter what you choose.
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I like unsweetened vanilla almond milk because it has less carbs than dairy milk.
  • wendygutie
    wendygutie Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I switched over to almond milk during my 100 lb weight loss because I believe one cup of it was 40 calories. Now that I have lost the weight I have both. fat free milk and almond milk. Almond milk is good to have around because of the shelf life. If you haven't gone grocery shopping and need milk, you can just pull some out of the cupboard. Also they have a 40 calorie chocolate milk that is delicious as well. So I do both :)
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I like Hemp Milk, tastes better =)

Nothing wrong with normal milk, despite what the alarmists say.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I switched to Breeze unsweetened vanilla almond milk back in October. I have been drinking 2% milk my entire life and lots of it. At first it was a little difficult so I mixed 50/50 with the 2%. It took me a month to switch over. I now pour a glass of it and can drink that as well.

A thought entered my mind yesterday.....If calves wean off their mother's milk and go eat solids in the fields, then why are we humans still nursing on cow's milk????

My almond milk has less than half the cals of 2% milk and almost twice the calcium. Problem solved. No saturated fat either.