People who eat back their exercise CALORIES!!

Options
124»

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    If they come back, I would be interested in knowing some stats for those burning >1200 in exercise on a regular basis. Is it daily? How much do y'all weigh? Are you tracking with an HRM? What are you doing? How long?
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    1st, no one is burning 1800 calories with exercise each day unless they are running marathons
    2nd its very easy to eat 1800 - too easy!

People over 200 lbs who work out for 2-3 hours certainly do

No they don't....several years ago I was over 200 lbs. and no one should be working out 2-3 hours a day. With a proper diet, you only need 1 hour a few days a week.

That's one hell of an announcement lol. :huh:
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    If they come back, I would be interested in knowing some stats for those burning >1200 in exercise on a regular basis. Is it daily? How much do y'all weigh? Are you tracking with an HRM? What are you doing? How long?

My exercise and food diary are open to view, but to answer your questions;

6 days a week

211lb

Yes

Swimming (1 hour) 5 days a week, Weights (1 hour) 3 days a week, Running & Cycling (1 hour) twice a week and my Insanity workout (40 - 60 mins) 6 days a week.

:wink:
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    When I eat some of my exercise cals back, I generally eat greek yogurt, have protein powder or High protein Ensure after exercising as I always am lifting when I work out.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If I feel like I am having a hard time reaching my calories on a certain day - I eat cheese and crackers with a glass of chocolate milk. It's my favourite snack, because apparently I am seven.

This made me lol. Then, I am 7, too. i love chocolate milk, string cheese...surely about a dozen other things that should just be for kids, too.

I might be less than 7. My wife made fun of me for buying the Chobani Champions greek yogurt. If they had chocolate chip or orange creamsicle in the regular containers I would have bought that, but they didn't!

Favorite snacks if I'm short on calories....Blue Diamond Dark Chocolate Roasted almonds. Another thing I do is smash 3 Hershey's dark chocolate kisses into little pieces and mix them into one of my greek yogurts (the other flavors that weren't already candy themed).
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options

I exercise 3-4 times a week, usually in the 500-600 calorie range, but I do get one large scale calorie workout in per week, my Saturday morning run. Always do I use my heart rate monitor and I use an average of HR calorie estimate, HR with an estimated VO2 Max estimate and then usually some equivalent in the MFP database. I also convert that to net calories rather than gross calories.

This morning's run, for instance, was 10.54 miles at 8:59 per mile, 1:34:44, average HR 135 BPM. At 5'11", 160 pounds:

HR (no VO2 Max): 1172
    HR (w/ VO2 estimated by my last 5K results @ 53): 1123
    MFP 9-minute per mile estimate: 1267
    Average: 1187.3
    All that reduced down to 1062 net calories burned.

Using this method seems to have worked. Most of my workouts are running. Once a week I do a Boot Camp through work, on those days, I rely solely on my HRM (the circuit training estimate through MFP is usually way different than my HRM estimates).

As for what I eat, I try to stick to 40/30/30, but it's felt tedious managing that much protein lately. I also watch, but have done a poor job lately of managing sodium.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I included the exercise I was going to do in my calorie goal as I was planning my meals. I knew approximately many calories I'd burn depending on what exercise I was going to do, so I never thought of it as "eating back" calories, just eating.

Currently, I don't count exercise calories because I already have it factored into my daily goal. It's easier for me this way, to eat approximately the same amount every day, than to have high days when I'd run and lower days when I lifted. My appetite didn't always coincide with my calories burned... running (especially long distance) makes me lose my appetite and lifting turns me into a garbage disposal. I ran yesterday and forgot to eat lunch when I got home. I did weights today, and even after breakfast, mid morning snack, lunch, and an afternoon snack just a little while ago, I'm STARVING right now.

I am using the same method. I detested having the daily calorie fluctuations. Cardio acts as an appetite suppressant for me, weights have the opposite effect (which is weird, but whatever).

I never ever have trouble meeting my daily calories. You are welcome to peek through my diary. Ignore Valentines Day, I exaggerated a bit when I entered those calories.
  • nickraines35
    Options
    I wondered about the eating what you have exercised off and come to the conclusion I do need to increase my intake so that im not always hungry. Also i count in the over 200 lbs bracket, with my endomondo tracking my cycling and walking, which quite often sees me burning over 1100 calories a day. Thats 2 6mile cycles and a 2 mile walk. Is it correct? I dont know but i do know that i have lost 13lbs in 4 weeks so something is working :-)
  • mminter22
    Options
    1st, no one is burning 1800 calories with exercise each day unless they are running marathons
    2nd its very easy to eat 1800 - too easy!

People over 200 lbs who work out for 2-3 hours certainly do

if you say so. Maybe body builders can burn that much and withstand 2-3 hrs of grueling exercise but its not a reasonable number for any average person to burn in a day. 500 is more reasonable

I did a double take at the 1800-2000 estimate, too. A serious athlete might burn that training but idk if i believe any one at any weight is burning that much with moderate exercise. That said, there are days when i run 4 or 5 miles and take a zumba class or do other cardio. On those days, by my HRM, I have no problem getting a calorie burn of 900-1000 + calories. But I'm exercising HOURS a day.

I'm just saying it would take a heck of a lot of dedication to get that kind of burn. And your energy would probably peak before you could get that high. That said, MFP's calorie estimates (in my experience) have been grossly inflated for every exercise I participate in except running, jump roping and running stairs. Invest in a decent HRM if you want reasonable estimates.

MFP set me up at 1230 calories a day and 3 days a weeks I burn anywhere from 600-900 calories a day...and I add that to my 1230 and I get 1800-2000 calories I can eat a day. And on the days I burn 300-500 calories a day I have NO PROBLEM eating all my calories back!!
  • mminter22
    Options
    I assumed she meant 1800-2000 calories total, which is a pretty good range for most active women.

Yes^^^^^^^Thank You!!
  • lucasriggs
    Options
    Its called food. Generally you put it in your mouth and chew.
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I have no problem eating 2000 calories a day! i love eating my exercise calories, On most days, i workout so i CAN eat more. :wink:
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them back.. I have enough trouble eating period. However I think I make up for it with beer on the weekends.. like weight watchers.. i save my calories for the weekends.. LOL The scale doenst' move much.. but my pants sure dont' fit anymore. LOL
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Hmmm take a look at my diary (other than yesterdays pizza which wasa dark day in nutrition lol)
  • angelh1908
    angelh1908 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If I feel like I am having a hard time reaching my calories on a certain day - I eat cheese and crackers with a glass of chocolate milk. It's my favourite snack, because apparently I am seven.

HILARIOUS! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: