Do people actually comment on your weight loss?

Options
1235»

Replies

• pselders1
    pselders1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    No. I celebrated losing 20lbs by wearing a nice dress in a size 16 (UK), and when my friend saw me she recommended this great website when you can buy dresses up to a size 32. She repeated the "size 32" part at least 4 or 5 times.
    I think I would question the word friend with this person. Clearly she was trying to hurt your feelings or discourage you. Sometimes it's better to remain silent and appear a fool than to speak and leave no doubt. Clearly she is a fool.
  • janalo55
    janalo55 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I lost 92 pounds on Weight Watchers back in 2005-2007. People noticed after about 30. Most everybody commented by the time it got to 75. At about that same time, people started asking me if I was about ready to quit because I was getting "too thin". Uh... after losing 75 lbs, I weighed 190. I am 5'7" tall. I was NO WAY too thin!

Unfortunately, after major surgery and a hormone imbalance, it all came back on and brought friends. I have currently lost 25. Only my sister has said anything. But that's OK. Like someone else said, I'm doing it for me.
  • MucGay
    MucGay Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I work in a dental office and a patient that I saw back in August 2012 came back for her 6 month recall noticed my weight loss which I had started back in October 2012. She did comment that I had looked taller and she thought that I was someone else (my sister). So far mostly it has been women that commented on the change but not so much acknowledgements from men. I guess men notice but rather, not say anything because they might think its inappropriate?

Edit: got the year wrong....haha, still think we r in 2012!
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    I don't comment on anyone's weight loss unless I know that they are trying to lose. I know too many people who have lost because of illness, stress or eating disorders so I try not to say anything unless I am SURE that they are actively trying to lose weight for a healthy lifestyle.

Same here. I will congratulate you on your progress toward a goal of yours if I know that's what you're doing, but I don't just automatically assume "you've lost weight!" is a compliment, or that it's even appropriate to comment on someone's weight.
  • Akious
    Akious Posts: 71
    Options
    I've gotten comments mostly from family. They are happy to see my loss. A few of my close friends have fun when we eat out and order a large shake from McDonalds and shout "Drink up fatass". We all get a laugh because I am the smallest of the group.
  • jeansuza
    jeansuza Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It' s fun to get finally noticed. I enjoy it. But now I have the feeling that some people are exaggerating with their enthusiastic comments.They always mention it when they see me... I still have 88 pounds to lose. I'm still an obese person! I am not as thin as they would make me believe. Sometimes, I am confused. I don't know where I really stand size-wise. But the scale is always there to remind me that the journey is not over! :noway:

Quite a few collegues at work asked me how much weight I lost and I lied to them downsizing my loss. I feel bad about this but even if I'm proud of my 107 pound loss, I don't want them to add up numbers and figure out that I used to weigh over 300 pounds! I told someone else that I wasn't comfortable talking about it and didn't want to tell the number. At other times, I said that I didn't know my weight, etc. It reminds me of women who don't tell their age because they fear judgment calls.

What do you think? Should I be totally open about my weight loss?
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Jean, I know exactly what you mean. I am open about the numbers now because I'm proud of what I've accomplished but for awhile I didn't say because I didn't want them to figure out what I use to weigh. I definitely understand where you're coming from.

Janalo- I get the same thing! "You need to stop losing" or "you're thin enough now", Etc etc. I'm 5'5 & 169 lbs! I'm not even in the normal range yet, it's so incredibly annoying. I know they think that they mean it as a compliment but I wish they would just shut it ;)
  • hmaddy84
    Options
    I've yet to get any comments on my weight loss. But I'm ok with that. I notice a difference and that is all that matters! Chin up! :-)
  • whenday
    whenday Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost much this time and no one has really commented yet although I do see a difference. I have been very careful not to talk about how much I've lost to anyone. I think it is to avoid the things that some people say to try to sabotage the weight loss.
  • lel76
    lel76 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    No. I celebrated losing 20lbs by wearing a nice dress in a size 16 (UK), and when my friend saw me she recommended this great website when you can buy dresses up to a size 32. She repeated the "size 32" part at least 4 or 5 times.

OMG!!! Some people!!
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I think people who see you everyday are less likely to notice since its gradual?

I agree. My roommates and friends up at school haven't seemed to notice hardly at all, but when I went home for a visit the other weekend (I hadn't been home since Christmas time) several people at church made comments to me about how they could tell I was losing weight. Also, my mom told me that a few people had asked her if I was losing weight as well. I'm assuming they didn't want to ask me because they weren't sure if it would offend me or something. That might be another reason people aren't saying anything.

I didn't start getting any kind of comments from anyone until I lost around 20 pounds though. I'm also tall (5'8") though so I feel like weight loss is noticeable faster because of that and how I carry my weight. Keep working hard though! I'm sure your weight loss is showing whether people are saying anything or not. :smile:
  • BearHugger78
    Options
    I've lost 30 pounds since Christmas and am already starting to look quite a bit better than when I started -- I plateaued on the scale this week, but will likely ditch my second pair of jeans by the weekend for falling off my waist -- but nobody said anything until a couple days ago after I told my brother and his girlfriend. Then it was, "Oh wow! You can really tell!" :ohwell:
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend started to notice it in my face 15 pounds down. Others started to notice at 20 pounds down. Then when I was 40-45 pounds down, people started telling me they thought I had gone too far. All the attempts to explain the BMI etc. didn't help. I started to notice that the one's telling me this were overweight, and I think I may have been making them feel somewhat embarrassed. Now that I've gained some of it back, nobody seems to have noticed. Sometimes you just don't win. Ciao, Marc
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Yes. All the time.
  • Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My wife seems to dig it but she thinks I'm obsessed with it now. My brother makes fun of me about it and some of my friends who I don't see very often think I may have just gotten a different haircut or something.

Most, nearly all, of my coworkers mention it regularly. ONe of them tells me I'm crack-skinny and most of the rest of them have approached me in private to ask advice on how to get started. A handful have even started on MFP.
  • jennifer907
    jennifer907 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My fiance calls me skinnybones jones as a compliment. Lol. But no one else has noticed. I mentioned I was eating healty and if anything, I got negetive remarks about it like "wow you don't need to lose any weight!". I really don't mind not being complimented by general people though because while it would be nice, I am ultimately doing it for me.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    During the beginning, a lot of people commented on the weight loss, but lately it's come to a stand still.... sort of. I've started getting into the weight loss zone again lately and just earlier today a woman on one of the hospital floors gave me a compliment (I've been on a plateau for months now).

I almost kissed her on the lips. She made my day THAT much brighter!
  • MarisaDLS
    MarisaDLS Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I lost weight gradually, 27 lbs over a year, 20 more to go!
    The people I see on a regular basis did not notice until about the 25 lb mark.
    People I hadn't seen in awhile made favorable comments right away.
    My daughter's teacher told me I looked fantastic, really made my day!
    I also think it depends on clothing worn,
    if its old clothing and loose, the weight loss is not as noticable,
    but if its dark and form-fitting the change is much more evident.
    People are hesitant to bring up a potentially sensitive subject as well,
    meaning well and not wanting to offend,
    in case the weight loss is unintentional
    and due to ill health.

My husband lost 55 lbs a several years ago,
    went from 210 to 155 in under a year by cutting calories drastically
    and walking 2 hours daily plus calisthenics.
    People thought he had cancer because the weight came off so fast
    so they were hesitant to bring up his weight loss
    until he made some mention of his dietary and exercise changes.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!