Why did you let yourself go?...

Options

Replies

• PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I stopped watching my eating and started eating what the people around me told me to.

I'm a very, very, VERY petite person. I gained a lot of weight eating what the average sized people around me told me was "normal" and "healthy".

Now I've learned to respond to "is that all you're going to eat? just a salad? just one helping? only one twix out of the pack???"

with a sound, "go fvck yourself"
  • never124get
    Options
    Because our society allows mothers to use pregnancy and having children as a valid excuse to get fat and stay that way. Pure and simple. I used my children as an excuse to not work out.
    Isn't that the truth, I am actuallyl osing weight to hae a baby lol

That's why I'm losing too!! But I just pretty much became lazy...I got a desk job where I sat for 12 hours and on top of that continued to eat junk and fast food...plain and simple, put bad stuff in your body on top of being lazy you're going to get big!
  • randomgyrl
    randomgyrl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I could give some long excuse about having PCOS, depression over not getting pregnant, emotional eating...blah blah blah....which may have played a roll, but in reality, I just simply love fried foods, eating out, and chocolate.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I kept eating like I was playing and training for high school football, but I was neither training nor in possession of a high schooler's metabolism. Once the weight gain started, it was easier to go with it than to try and go healthy, particularly given the stress and poverty of college.
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Because our society allows mothers to use pregnancy and having children as a valid excuse to get fat and stay that way. Pure and simple. I used my children as an excuse to not work out.
    Isn't that the truth, I am actuallyl osing weight to hae a baby lol

That's why I'm losing too!! But I just pretty much became lazy...I got a desk job where I sat for 12 hours and on top of that continued to eat junk and fast food...plain and simple, put bad stuff in your body on top of being lazy you're going to get big!

It's pat of why I'm losing too. I'm not going to ttc for at least 2-3 years, but I want my health on track before then, so that, when the time comes, I don't have any added struggles. I'm already up against pcos, medicated depression, and arthritis, so I don't need anything else working against me
  • MamaBear57
    MamaBear57 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Depression, self loathing, and excussives like I am to busy to work out. Life is complicated and it is so easy to give up or loose sight of what is important. I know I did for a long time.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    i was raped. i needed to hide.

it worked. until it didn't.
  • LadyZephyr
    LadyZephyr Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I had severe depression and a mental disorder and was on a lot of medication as treatment, one of which was a major appetite increaser but I don't blame my weight gain on that, though it sure as hell didn't help.
    I ate food to try and fill the void and had no self control, nor any desire to work out. I didn't care about myself or my appearance.
    I first gained extra weight when I was 10/11 but lost it by the time I was 13. I was a little chunky but not overweight, I was an active kid.
    I gained a lot when I was 16/17 and later I also developed bulimia. I've been in recovery for a year but you gain a helluva lot of weight when you start eating healthily again, your body just latches onto any calories it can get and stores them as fat.
    Now, I'm trying to lose weight and keep it off, and get my dream body while fixing my attitude towards food.
    I've never been massively over weight, my highest weight was about 190lbs and I'm 5'8", but I used to maintain at around 140lbs before I gained weight. I'm 161lbs now and aiming for 135.
  • Zephaniah14
    Options
    Depression. Stopped caring about myself and also subconsciously used weight gain to ward off people from getting close to me or giving me too much attention.

On the road to new hope though now :smile:
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Good question. When I was younger I was the skinnny kid. No matter what I did I could not gain weight. I always thought that if I could put on ten or fifteen pounds I would look better. I would order double meals and eat every bite and never gain a pound. Well eventually as you get a little older your metabolism slows down. I started to put on a pew pounds and thought it was great. So I just continued what I was doing. I got a little heavier and a little heavier. At some point I realized that I was out of shape. Then I was preocupied with life. It wasn't until I was in my late thirties that I decided to do anything about it. In a couple of months I will be 42 and I am still fighting the battle.

This is the last time. I am going to destroy all of my demons. By the end of 2013 I will be living a healthy life.No more being overweight and no more smoking. I will have an active lifestyle and a healthy diet. No surrender!
  • ZozoMonster
    ZozoMonster Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Being in a crappy relationship which made me depressed, so I ate...
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy
  • AliciaC81
    AliciaC81 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    There's so many things that contributed to it for me.

1. As a kid/teen I had a great metabolism and could eat whatever I wanted and never gained weight. I was thin but I ate horribly and never worked out. I got used to the idea of doing nothing to maintain a weight.

2. I had children and used each pregnancy as an excuse to eat what I wanted and not work out. That added about 20 lbs of overall weight after each child was born and I had shed the "baby weight".

3. There is so many horrible horrible foods and gigantic portion sizes available EVERYWHERE. You go out to eat and a "meal" is enough to fulfill someone's entire calorie goals. Before I watched my calories I thought "oh it's a meal...it's normal". Hah was I ever wrong.

4. It happened bit by bit. Eating poorly and not being active enough led to me gaining weight bit by bit. I never noticed the weight going on because it happened slowly. This I am sure includes some denial in there. I mean you're not supposed to outgrow your clothes once you're an adult...so I mean I SHOULD have seen that 20 extra lbs creep on..
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'd always been really slender. High metabolism. Then I turned 25 and started to gain weight. But didn't worry, I was still a really healthy weight.
    NEVER worked out. Too lazy. Didn't have time.
    THEN I got pregnant and gained 2x the weight I should have.

I learned a lot. And for that I'm thankful. I won't ever take my body or health for granted again.
  • oldmanrivererik
    oldmanrivererik Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was trying to kill myself after what seems like a life of failure after failure. I was going to eat myself to death for the simple reason that when I am eating I was happy. Everything else about my life might be miserable but at least for the 5-10 minutes I was scarfing down food, I was happy. In the matter of about 2 years I gained over 100 pounds. I was looking forward to being dead, not having to worry about anything anymore. Then I shot myself and I realized that I dont want to be dead. Now Im trying to lose all the weight I stupidly gained.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    I just didn't notice I was getting fat.
  • placeboaddiction
    placeboaddiction Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    3 kids. Worked full time. did school full time. Also transitioned from warehouse work to office work in that time.
  • mspris2u
    mspris2u Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Years, YEARS of low self esteem and food made me feel better. Add general laziness and desk jobs to the mix and I've spent a good of my life over 200 lbs. I lost 60lbs 4 years ago and gained 40 of it back. I've lost 25lbs this time around and plan to keep it off this time!
  • louiselebeau
    louiselebeau Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Because I got into another (bad) relationship. So I gave up dating.
  • optionalsourcewins
    optionalsourcewins Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I started dating and got comfortable. My fiance, now husband wasn't and still isn't active so it was easy for me to follow him plus I found eating as much as he does. I love food but I can't eat like a man. After marriage, I became pregnant after trying for 18 months and I gained 30 more lbs. I have since lost the pregnancy weight and now I'm working on the weight I gained during courting and early marriage. I exercise now even though my husband still does not and I don't follow his eating patterns. I'm doing me so that I can be a better Mom for our son. I think my husband will start to follow me very soon as he's noticing the pounds I've lost and increased energy.