Stereotypes that DON'T fit you

Options

Replies

• Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am a 5"2' female Asian and the stereotypes I had been miscast into previously:

1. I am demure and gentle. Seriously, WTF? :tongue:

2. I can read and say every damn Chinese word. Truth: I flunked Chinese finals almost every year in school so stop asking me to translate *kitten*.

3. The flip side of point 2 is I cannot be that fluent in English so I must not know how and when to accurately deploy apostrophes.

4. I know how to make General Tso's Chicken from scratch. Gimme a break. :yawn:

5. I am skilled in Chinese checkers. I don't have a single clue how this bloody game works. :laugh:
  • peckish_pomegranate
    Options
    Because I'm a feminist I must hate kinky sex and fashion. WRONG!

I'm an atheist and I don't hate religious people. Except when they infringe on my human rights or stand outside of Planned Parenthood harassing women coming to get their yeast infections treated.

Proud Southerner and I'm not illiterate, married to my cousin, don't have a country accent, and I don't like collard greens. AND I HATE COUNTRY MUSIC.

To me, a feminist is anyone who thinks men and women deserve equal rights. A man can be a feminist. It's not reserved for man hating ball busters, certainly.

This. I could see the stereotype being, "Feminists must hate men," because I see that enough on here, let alone off the comp... but I've never heard of a stereotype linking feminists to vanilla sex?

Lots of feminists consider BDSM an element of patriarchy oppressing women. I don't- if it's consensual to all parties, get as freaky as you want.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I'm from NJ
    I ride a sport bike
    I'm a computer geek
    I squat and deadlift over twice my bodyweight

Any conclusions about me that the layperson will draw from any of those are probably wrong.
  • cheshire1865
    Options
    Anyone from England will understand this one:

I'm an Essex girl born and bred, but I don't look like I've been Tango'd, I don't have the accent and I don't have bleach blonde hair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4r_a5adehs
  • JimLeonardRN
    JimLeonardRN Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I am a large man with a southern accent that drives a pickup. Obviously a redneck.

well, ok, partially a redneck.

Total redneck here that loves Heavy Christian rock......For example Disciple, Demon Hunter, Skillet, Red, Thousand Foot Krutch.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options

I'm an Essex girl born and bred, but I don't look like I've been Tango'd, I don't have the accent and I don't have bleach blonde hair.

And you don't seem to have those ridiculous drawn on eyebrows either :laugh: fellow Brit here!
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    I like dungeons and dragons, video games, COS PLay, I use to play Magic the gathering a lot.

No one believes me, why?
    Um.

I believe you?

Seriously, I play MTG, video games, love comic books, dig anime...the list goes on.

The whole "pretty girls aren't nerds" stereotype (I'm assuming that's the one you were referring to), has been debunked a number of times.
    Yes now, not in 1999.
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I m from Canada but have never seen a polar bear .
  • neva4saken
    neva4saken Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    (1) that i am mean and intimidating
    (2) that i can lift a car.. ok people i pulled one ladies car out of a ditch but she was really stuck
    (3) that i spend hours a day in the gym .. i do not
    (4) that i like lifting heavy things .. not all the time
    (5) that i am very stiff .. quite the contrary i am flexible (thanks to martial arts)
    (6) i have a extremely deep voice and just because i sound like Barry White does not mean i am going to sing to you (smh)
    (7) that i was all about sports in school, i actually have a BA in Psychology with a minor in Business
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    African American Conservative who votes republican.

Surely you jest??!!

Nope.. That's me!
  • MiniMichelle
    MiniMichelle Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I show my cleave (because I love my boobs) so I must be a slut...
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'm Japanese-Irish-English-Filipino and I was born in Hawaii.

Asian stereotype - Good at math.
    Me - I suck at math

Hawaii stereotype - I speak pidgin english and like pineapples
    Me - Since I could talk, I've never been able to speak with a Hawaii accent. Kind of weirded my family out a little..lol. Also, I HATE pineapples. *gags*

Irish - Can handle their liquor
    Me - I'm what you'd call a cheap drunk
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I am a large man with a southern accent that drives a pickup. Obviously a redneck.

well, ok, partially a redneck.

Total redneck here that loves Heavy Christian rock......For example Disciple, Demon Hunter, Skillet, Red, Thousand Foot Krutch.

I love Skillet, but I look like I should love Justin Beiber instead.
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Because I'm a female I can't change my own oil, mow my own lawn, change my tire, lift a heavy box of copy paper or carry a 50lb bag of garden soil.

I can do ALL of those and still clean up nicely at the end of the day.
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options

And you don't seem to have those ridiculous drawn on eyebrows either :laugh: fellow Brit here!

This was my shameful addiction for a bit there..... Thankfully I think I'm over it now haha
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    That, because I ride my Harley year-round, I'm freezing my butt off when the temps dip below 40°.

Seriously, you're only cold for a few minutes until you go numb...
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    I show my cleave (because I love my boobs) so I must be a slut...

Still don't think slut is a bad thing. :bigsmile:
  • NinjaTheGinger
    NinjaTheGinger Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm an Atheist, but still enjoy listening to "Positive Alternative" and have morals.

That's the funniest one I have.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I wear makeup only to weddings and funerals, if you don't like my face it's not my problem.

I don't wear heels, watch chick flicks or figure skating. I don't like girly drinks. I don't read erotic fiction, I like comedy and horror mostly.

I like Beer, whiskey, baseball, hockey, and maybe some pirates and zombies.

I work full time and my house is clean (somewhat unorganized, but clean), my kids are taken care of and I have never missed a recital, ball game, karate practice or dance lesson.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Because I'm a female I can't change my own oil, mow my own lawn, change my tire, lift a heavy box of copy paper or carry a 50lb bag of garden soil.

I can do ALL of those and still clean up nicely at the end of the day.

I have a few jobs for you.