Y is Dr. Oz always promoting these quick diets

Options

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Because ERRRRRYBODY wants a quick fix. There's NO SUCH THING

^^^^ this

while there are enough people who want to believe in miracle cures and quick fixes, there will be those who want to sell them scams.

ETA: that does not absolve or mitigate the ones who are selling the scams though. They shouldn't be out to scam people. But still, caveat emptor
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Why do we go to work every day?
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Because eat less, move more doesn't make for good television ratings. He's catering to his audience who aren't interested in hard work and are looking for a quick fix. Deep down I believe that most people realise that these things won't work but people WANT to believe there is an easy way or a quick fix. If there was then everybody would be a healthy weight and I still see a lot of overweight/obese people walking around. If there wasn't a market for it he wouldn't be able to get away with it
  • preslyann50
    preslyann50 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    ObamaMoney.Gif

This might be my favorite thing in the whole wide world.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Because they all work, but not for very long. You do one for a bit and then when it wears off, you start a different one. It's the only way to keep the weight off for good. Exercise and proper nutrition doesn't work for everyone.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    More so... why are people dumb enough to believe that quick fixes really work?

That ^
  • tiffanydawnn
    tiffanydawnn Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    wrong thread...
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    He knows better, but he's sold his soul for the almighty dollar.
  • 78brownie_wechanged
    Options
    Because he has a sick sense of humor. He's a waste. No airtime in my house.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    $$$$$$$$$
  • auntiemsgr8
    auntiemsgr8 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I saw him on a tv special like 60 minutes just before the premiere of this seasons Biggest Loser. He stated just because his name and photo is saying he endorses it that is not really so. He stated he does not endorse the diet pills etc that he has on his show or on the web. I guess Its up to us to decide if he is being honest.

And a side note, he looked terrible on that interview. Big bags under his eyes.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    The pay out is good, and lets also remember most med schools only require one semester of nutrition education, so many MD, not all, have a serious lack of knowledge when it comes to nutrition. Although I would hope a cardiologist would know better.
  • astrobob76
    Options
    for his paycheck, id promote ALMOST anything! people have been praying on fatties wallets for years and years, why do u think a doctor would be any different? human is human. and yes, im a fatty, and yes, my attitude means , for the right price, id be a *kitten*
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Money. And is he a doctor as in a medical professional?

Anyone with a PhD is a doctor. I'm planning to get my PhD in Creative Writing and will become a Dr, but that don't mean I know s**t about health and fitness.

In the UK, Gillian McKeith pulled this fast one on people for years, but she is def not a medical professional. Her PhD is more worthless than toilet paper imho.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options

Anyone with a PhD is a doctor. I'm planning to get my PhD in Creative Writing and will become a Dr, but that don't mean I know s**t about health and fitness.

In the UK, Gillian McKeith pulled this fast one on people for years, but she is def not a medical professional. Her PhD is more worthless than toilet paper imho.
    Heart surgeon, yes? So he should know better..
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz is actually a sadist who enjoys dreaming of the failures people will encounter as they foolishly adopt his latest rapid weight loss gimmick.
    I truthfully think he probably started out with the best of intentions.

But like polititians the more power you have, the more strange bedfellows..

he got a taste of fame from Oprah. he got a taste of easy money from TV syndication. i think it's as simple as that.

Well said.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

Yes, he is a cardiologist. I believe he received his MD from University of Pennsylvania medical school, so he's an Ivy League medical doctor, as well.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options

Yes, he is a cardiologist. I believe he received his MD from University of Pennsylvania medical school, so he's an Ivy League medical doctor, as well.

Meh. Shame on him even more then.
  • Treker6
    Treker6 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Because different diets work differently for different people. That's why. He usually tells you who they are for or what type of people they are for.
  • SmileyFaceGuy
    Options
    I think I'd be fine with the six-figure salary he already pulls as head of cardiology in one of the best hospitals in the U.S.