Colonic Hydrotherapy

Options

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/gastro.html

I'm also laughing at the post that said you should go to a place with "qualified professionals." Where does one go to school to learn how to give colonics? I imagine it's on the job training.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Anyone who believes this nonsense should next try bloodletting and the clyster or few other medieval practices.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I also had to buy some probiotics after, to put all the good bacteria in you, you keep them in the fridge... She will tell you all this anyway. Alot of food like steak or red meat can be stored in your gut for years and years, as doesnt full digest properly.

You have other medical issues you need to have checked out if you have food staying in your systems for years and years. If your food isn't being digested properly you have an issue.

To the OP, it's not worth to cost or the experience. There is no need to do so unless it's for a medical purpose. To the poster who said her doctor suggested them because she has a "slow colon" ... drink more water and consume more fiber.

I don't know why people do these things. Sure, it may clean you out but once you eat and you have food in your system again all that stuff in your colon is right back where it was.

These things can be harmful. This will remove the good bacteria from your system.

There is no "colonics" school.. meaning you are letting people do this on you that have no school, and no real knowledge. If they are telling you that steak stays in your system for years and years you need to run far away. They will tell you all sorts of false information to get you coming back.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i have had it once and was very disappointed. for some reason i expected it to be reasonably pressurised, oxigenated water (so you get a bit of a buzz) that would clear out all the crap thats been in there for 37 years - it wasn't.

might just have been who i went to but it was a gravity type system trickle of water and before i went i was lectured about high fibre and taking a pro-biotic that obviously she would sell me and i wouldn't need just one but a course of treatments.

it was *kitten* :D:D

i have a friend who goes regularly but she has problems 'going' normally. i am quite regular and if you are too, i'd say - don't waste your money.

i had no weight loss i wouldn't have had the next morning anyway. IMO not worth the money, ear ache or embaressment.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    No way in hell would I let someone who's NOT qualified put anything in my butt. How do you even know the instruments are sterile? Blech!

But hey, you want a professional opinion? Here's what the Mayo Clinic has to say--

"Although doctors prescribe colon cleansing as preparation for medical procedures such as colonoscopy, most don't recommend colon cleansing for detoxification. Their reasoning is simple: Your digestive system and bowel naturally eliminate waste material and bacteria — your body doesn't need colon cleansing to do this.

Proponents of colon cleansing, on the other hand, believe that toxins from your gastrointestinal tract can cause a variety of health problems, such as arthritis, allergies and asthma. They believe that colon cleansing — also called a colonic or a colonic irrigation — improves health by removing toxins, promoting healthy intestinal bacteria, boosting your energy and enhancing your immune system. However, there's little evidence that colon cleansing produces these effects.

In fact, colon cleansing can sometimes be harmful. Colon cleansing can cause side effects, such as cramping, bloating, nausea and vomiting. More serious concerns with colon cleansing are that it can:

Increase your risk of dehydration
    Lead to bowel perforations
    Increase the risk of infection
    Cause changes in your electrolytes, which can be dangerous if you have kidney disease or other health problems
    If you choose to try colon cleansing, take these precautions:

Check with your conventional medical providers first, especially if you take any medications or have any health problems.
    Make sure your colon-cleansing practitioner uses disposable equipment that hasn't been previously used.
    Get a list of specific herbal ingredients and amounts in any colon-cleansing products you use — some herbal supplements can cause health problems.
    Stay well hydrated by drinking lots of fluids while undergoing colon cleansing to prevent dehydration."

So good luck with that!

This is why I don't believe everything I read on the internet. My Dr told me to have a colonic done because I have a "slow colon".

soooo did they make you eat a tracer and see how long it took for it to come out of your colon?
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I've done this once and I was actually talking to my boyfriend because my stomach is so freakin' messed up (IBS) I want to go again. If you feel backed up, do it! I have been 'backed up' for over a week and my stomach is so bloated I feel disgusting - hence why I'd like to do it again.

If you have digestion issues, it's great, if you don't, you can try it but it's not necessary.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Nah, I've got this whole pooping thing down to a science. :smokin:
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I've done this once and I was actually talking to my boyfriend because my stomach is so freakin' messed up (IBS) I want to go again. If you feel backed up, do it! I have been 'backed up' for over a week and my stomach is so bloated I feel disgusting - hence why I'd like to do it again.

If you have digestion issues, it's great, if you don't, you can try it but it's not necessary.

if you are backed up, spend 5 bucks on a stool softener, chug some water, and eat some fiber bars.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I hydrotherapy my colon every day. DRINKING WATER.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I;ve had it a few times - I have very slow digestion and get bloated easily. It makes me feel great afterwards - it super hydrates you as well, as the water is absorbed through the colon. It makes the whites of your eyes are super bright.

You do have to take pro biotics afterwards though.

I know where are many arguments against them not being necessary, but I have definitely felt a benefit after having them. I do it about once a year, max.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

I'm also laughing at the post that said you should go to a place with "qualified professionals." Where does one go to school to learn how to give colonics? I imagine it's on the job training.

i don't know about over there but people do study so they can perform this process here (uk). the girl who done mine banged on about her HNC and that she was studying for her degree.

Incidentally, my mum is a colorectal nurse and after i told her i had went she told me i was an idiot - must admit, she was right.

just shows, they will provide courses for all manner of nonsense in this country.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I missed the post where someone said they were told that red meat doesn't get digested and can stay in your colon for years--yeah, that's a sign of true quackery.

Do a little critical thinking--how much red meat have you eaten in your life? If it doesn't digest and stays in your colon, you'd be plugged up from now until next month. Ever poop out chunks of red meat? I thought not. You digest red meat just as well as everything else you eat.

Seriously, people, how can you believe something as obviously crazy as that?

People tend to believe all sorts of things without supporting evidence if it props up their desired beliefs. The converse is also true. People tend to disbelieve all sorts of things despite evidence that clearly backs it up if they don't want to believe it.

I guess if someone is bound and determined to have an enema for a pseudomedical reason they are going to have at it. For every con game there are willing marks. :ohwell:
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

i don't know about over there but people do study so they can perform this process here (uk). the girl who done mine banged on about her HNC and that she was studying for her degree.

Incidentally, my mum is a colorectal nurse and after i told her i had went she told me i was an idiot - must admit, she was right.

just shows, they will provide courses for all manner of nonsense in this country.

They have an Association too, but then what quackery doesn't?

I guess people will have to rely on us 'Google Warriors'. Well, the one's that Google stuff like NHS, or peer reviewed scientific data and meta-analysis anyway.

I'm glad to say there was a large drop off in courses last year.
    http://www.dw.de/uk-universities-drop-alternative-medicine-degree-programs/a-15673133-1
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I also had to buy some probiotics after, to put all the good bacteria in you, you keep them in the fridge... She will tell you all this anyway. Alot of food like steak or red meat can be stored in your gut for years and years, as doesnt full digest properly. She will tell you all about the colon, etc....Well I dont have that horrible bloated feeling anymore.... Worked for me and worth every penny, wasnt cheap either!!
    Just imagine, that means that (365*however many years 'years and years' is) steaks are sitting at the bottom of my bfs stomach.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Here is the thing, some of you clearly just know EVERYTHING. Some of you CLEARLY hide behind the computer and bully others who have different beliefs than you or feel different way towards different procedures..

I had it suggested by my Dr because I have a hard time going poo. Get over it. It was the BEST thing to happen to me because with the help of it I can actually poop. Why don't you try being as backed up as I have been, try dealing with the pain and discomfort, the constant bloating feeling, crying when you TRY to go to the bathroom and when you do you bleed out of your bum. There is your TMI for the day. Some of you should think about getting a hobby instead of harassing people on the internet to make your lives seem so much better.

I will take the advice of my Dr over any advice from a know-it-all on the MFP forums who believe they know everything because they used google to look up the negatives. If we all thought the way some of you did, we wouldn't leave our house or we would live in a bubble.

And yes, there are people who are qualified to do it.

People stick things in their bums all the time, its called being kinky, at least this way I am actually benefiting from it and not just being nice to my bf. :D
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I also had to buy some probiotics after, to put all the good bacteria in you, you keep them in the fridge... She will tell you all this anyway. Alot of food like steak or red meat can be stored in your gut for years and years, as doesnt full digest properly.

You have other medical issues you need to have checked out if you have food staying in your systems for years and years. If your food isn't being digested properly you have an issue.

To the OP, it's not worth to cost or the experience. There is no need to do so unless it's for a medical purpose. To the poster who said her doctor suggested them because she has a "slow colon" ... drink more water and consume more fiber.

I don't know why people do these things. Sure, it may clean you out but once you eat and you have food in your system again all that stuff in your colon is right back where it was.

These things can be harmful. This will remove the good bacteria from your system.

There is no "colonics" school.. meaning you are letting people do this on you that have no school, and no real knowledge. If they are telling you that steak stays in your system for years and years you need to run far away. They will tell you all sorts of false information to get you coming back.

I will trust my Dr over you, thanks. I drink a TON of water and eat fiber and take probiotics. I am sure your online degree at Google University is worth trusting you over my Dr that I have seen over 10 years.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Why, or why, did I read this while eating my cottage cheese? I am SO freakin' nauseous now!:sick:
  • shewearsfunnyhat
    shewearsfunnyhat Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    A healthy body will is able to detox without expensive cleanses or procedures. It detoxes you on a daily basis. I could see doing hydrotherapy if your digestive system is backed up. But, first you should go to a doctor and figure out whats going on and how to prevent it from happening again.

If you want the same effect without going to see someone then do the colonoscopy prep with miralax. It will clean out your entire digestive system.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    People stick things in their bums all the time, its called being kinky, at least this way I am actually benefiting from it and not just being nice to my bf. :D