Are you a horder or a thrower-a-wayer?

Options

Replies

• Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    This is awful but I have to get rid of stuff at other people's houses! We don't have trash pick up because my husband just takes our kitchen trash into his work and throws it in the dumpster. If I try and throw out something in a black trash bag he'll pick through it and pull out all kinds of useless junk! So I take stuff to my MIL's house or send it home with my parents for them to throw out when they visit. LOL!
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Definitely hoarder, but I usually make myself do a purge at least once a year.
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    I hoard electronics but am a minimalist with everything else.

One never knows when one might need that 5-1/4" internal floppy drive again. I've got three of them in the basement just in case.

loser-sign-on-forehead-i5_zps791b180f.jpg
  • kinkykiddo
    Options
    Unless it has **real** sentimental or material value, I toss it. I find myself making excuses to toss things as opposed to keep things. If it's something in good condition, I have a Salvation Army a few blocks from me. I'll donate it instead of trashing it.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    My parents are terrible hoarders so I go in the opposite direction and toss everything if I go five minutes without using it. ha. Horse stuff is sort of an exception but even that I clean out every once in a while. It helps that I've moved probably a dozen times in the last few years, so that really makes you narrow down what is really worth keeping.
  • JazzieSmith
    JazzieSmith Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Total hoarder...especially when it comes to books. I have entire boxes of books that I haven't read in years that I can't bear to part with. I try to do a purge every spring and fall for everything else.
  • beach_please
    beach_please Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Clutter and disorganization makes me crazy. I'm big on throwing away/donating... it drives my husband nuts. I will admit that there have been times when I was too hasty getting rid of something, like donating all of our baby clothes and furniture only to find out a few months later that I was pregnant with our "surprise " baby.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    hoarders drive me batty.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    We JUST cleaned out our attic last year and we looked like real dirtbags with all the crap that was piled out on the front porch LOL. Neither one of us is a "hoarder" however when it comes to his stuff I don't throw anything away until he goes through it or looks at it and says "Yes. Throw that away." Saving things has come in handy, especially if he's looking for a receipt or something he wrote down from years past.

The issue, however, is WHERE I put the stuff when I squirrel it away LOL. Currently we are missing a box of Frisbees that he had bought for our dog because I put it some place and I have no clue where.
  • jbutterflye
    Options
    I'm currently purging my excess pounds. Been hoarding those far too long!
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of a consumer, and I also get rid of things regularly. I try to give it to someone else who can use it before opting to throw it away.
  • AngelicxAnnihilation
    Options
    I tend to keep what I need, or what's important. My mother is a hoarder and I cannot stand the stuff everywhere that is unused. I need to have a huge amount of space to move freely in because it was so bad sometimes you could barely move.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    I hoard electronics but am a minimalist with everything else.

One never knows when one might need that 5-1/4" internal floppy drive again. I've got three of them in the basement just in case.

loser-sign-on-forehead-i5_zps791b180f.jpg

Shows what you know.....I needed one a few weeks ago so that my 7yo could have a "spinning garage" for his cars. HA!

8491824363_8e68c8201b.jpg
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    I'm currently purging my excess pounds. Been hoarding those far too long!

Real women have curves.

Thread derailment in 3...2...1...
  • jbutterflye
    Options
    Darn you and your good fatherhood!!!
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of a hoarder, sadly. I drive myself crazy with this crap. Hubs can be too. We are redoing our basement and I'm trying to clean out storage of college notepads and crap but noooo..."they have memories and scribbles on them". SO?~!

Me...I'm a shopaholic...so I tend to buy more than I need....My Bath and Body Works collection takes up two large totes...worst thing is, Im a lazy morning person so most days I don't give myself the time to even use these products. Then...I collect them all and give them away...then a new scent comes out and I fill up the totes AGAIN. It's wasteful , that's for sure.

I've been trying to convince hubs to give/sell off some of the books he'll never read again..but he claims he may read it again. I know he won't...he's always buying new ones.
  • NinjaTheGinger
    NinjaTheGinger Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    The emptier my place is, the happier I am. Clutter makes me nervous.
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I throw things away, I can't stand clutter. My daughter is a hoarder, she gets upset if I throw away an old Burger King crown (or something just as silly). I have to clean the kids' rooms once a month or more while they're gone so I can get rid of stuff w/o a fight. My husband isn't a hoarder, really, but he doesn't get rid of clothes. He has things that I have never seen him wear (and we've been together almost 10years), but he says "I might have a need for this outfit/shirt/pants in the future". Really?! We have a huge walk in closet and his clothes take up 3/4's of it.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Hoarder, bc 1-I'm a sentimental person, and 2- (for things that don't really have sentimental value), you never know when you'll need it again.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Get rid if it!

I hate having anything useless around. I seem to move every 2-3 years and that's always the best, getting rid of anything you no longer need in prep for the move.