How much sleep do you get each night?

Options

Replies

• etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    A lot. Lately I sleep for 4-5 hours, wake up for a couple and then sleep again for about 5 hours. No weight loss, have always been thin.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    1) 8-9 hours (sometimes 7-8)
    2) 50lbs since this time last year, 60lbs including the past 2 years

I love sleeping. I would never tell myself "I should do this or this instead of sleeping" I am useless when I'm tired!
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Oh man, it would be nice to sleep 8 hours straight every night, I can usually only do it on weekends!
    I guess during the week I sleep 6-7 hours a night! I usually sleep 2-4, wake up, and go back to sleep again. I've lost 50 lbs in 2 years, and I've gotten various amounts of sleep during that time, but usually 6-7
  • smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    4 to 6 hrs a night

28lbs gone
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    **YAWNS** Sleep, what's sleep? It sounds wonderful :love:
  • cococa
    cococa Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    8-9 hours and 4-7lbs lost (but I don't have too much to lose).

I think the more relevant variable is stress, and many people with high stress levels do not sleep well. However, if you have low stress levels and feel rested on less sleep, you shouldn't see a correlation. On average, adults need about 6 hours of sleep. I, personally, can't get by on less than 8.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    A there is scientific evidence showing that both sleep quality, and sleep quantity have an effect on body composition.

If you are working out most of your body's HGH, and testosterone are released while in deep sleep. Both of these are critical to weight-loss.

i use an app called sleep cycle which tracks my sleep (quality and quantity) this data is synced to runkeeper where I can graph it against my weight and workout performance.

I sleep 7-8 hours nightly
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    7-8 weekdays and 8-10 weekends

Ive lost 5 pounds since Jan 2013 Lost more in inches.
  • Luvmesumkenny
    Luvmesumkenny Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Most nights I'm Lucky if I get 5 hours...
    70 lbs GONE!!!!
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Well, my wife and I have a 7-week newborn...

..so... ...none. :smile:
    Wow, congratulations!

Agree, congratulations! Someday I may have children and this is definitely the part that scares me! :) Among other things..
  • msliu7911
    Options
    I gained a lot of weight in 3 years not by overeating but because of stress and lack of sleep. I averaged 3-4 hours of sleep per night. Since I started my personal recuperation journey, I noticed that low number of sleep hours and stress does affect negatively my weight loss. It has to do with high cortisol levels.

Thats what I've heard.
  • kerriegibbo
    Options
    I am a terrible sleeper and I know it affects my weight loss. I have researched exhaustively and have found a common thread. The body does certain things when you are asleep (I won't go into detail). Your body needs approx. 7-8 hours sleep a night but you can have too much sleep. The sleep needs to be the right kind of sleep, that is deep REM sleep.

I have found through research and my own experience that weight loss is dependent on a balance of enough sleep, water, exercise and diet. Get the balance right for you and you will lose weight - get the balance wrong and you struggle to lose weight. That is my major problem. I am addressing the issue of diet and exercise but I still struggle with water and sleep and it seems that these two variables have been my downfall.
  • msliu7911
    Options
    Let me admit right up front that I’m a geek.

4jnq6o.png

^^see; Geek! :bigsmile:

The blue line represents my actual sleeping time – not my time in bed but the amount of time I was actually laying still and in deep sleep. During these 15 weeks I averaged 5:44 hours of sleep.

The green line represents my true calorie deficit. During these 15 weeks I averaged only a 650 calorie deficit per day but you can see that during my ‘long run’ week I drop way below that.

The purple line represents my weight loss. During these 15 weeks I have lost 7.6 lbs.

I did this graph from my FitBit weekly report because I had convinced myself that there was a correlation between the amount I sleep (or don’t) and my weight…It sure doesn’t look like I am right.

Love your graph! This is very interesting!
  • jenmsu83
    jenmsu83 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I get about 7.5-8 hrs a night and have lost 75 pounds. I think getting enough sleep is SUPER important when it comes to weight loss.
  • msliu7911
    Options
    I am a terrible sleeper and I know it affects my weight loss. I have researched exhaustively and have found a common thread. The body does certain things when you are asleep (I won't go into detail). Your body needs approx. 7-8 hours sleep a night but you can have too much sleep. The sleep needs to be the right kind of sleep, that is deep REM sleep.

I have found through research and my own experience that weight loss is dependent on a balance of enough sleep, water, exercise and diet. Get the balance right for you and you will lose weight - get the balance wrong and you struggle to lose weight. That is my major problem. I am addressing the issue of diet and exercise but I still struggle with water and sleep and it seems that these two variables have been my downfall.
    I get about 7.5-8 hrs a night and have lost 75 pounds. I think getting enough sleep is SUPER important when it comes to weight loss.

Agree with both of these. Based on what I'm reading in this thread I'm def going to make a more conscience effort to get at least 7 hours of sleep a night.

Ahhhh, just thinking about sleep right now sounds so lovely since its barely 2:50pm. :love:
  • Haiir0
    Haiir0 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    1) 6-7.5 during the week//12 on Saturdays//5-6 on Sundays
    2) 13lbs since mid-January.
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Options

Wow, congratulations!

Agree, congratulations! Someday I may have children and this is definitely the part that scares me! :) Among other things..

You may borrow mine for a day and night... It'll surely change your mind... :tongue:
  • msliu7911
    Options

Wow, congratulations!

You may borrow mine for a day and night... It'll surely change your mind... :tongue:

LOL
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    gaining/losing the same 2-3 pounds

I get into bed in time to get 8 hours of sleep but I never get it. I have to get up 2, 3, 4 or more times per night to visit the bathroom, and I lay awake for awhile when I get back into bed.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    8 hours average
    34 pounds in 9 months