HS -30% x 10
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    bump
  • thirstyflea
    thirstyflea Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Women: How many pounds are you deadlifting? I just started deads this month and cant find the right poundage for me.

I started at 30 lbs and i have been bumping it up 10 pounds each week- currently at 60 lbs but i think its still way too light. However i also know if i try to lift too heavy my form may slip and i could hurt my back.

So what are ya'll lifting?? Im not a beginning at weight lifting- just a beginner with deads

I just started deadlifts with my trainer a couple months ago- NEVER hurts my back. Usually my butt, legs, and abs are sore the next day, but never feel it in my back. I keep my weight mostly on my heels, stand up straight, and FOCUS. My trainer told me I have really good form, so he is trying to challenge me more and more. I LOVE deads, btw.

I'm 5'6 and weigh about 200#, and right now my personal best is 5 reps at 190 pounds. But my trainer also has me doing more reps at lower weights- like 16 reps at 90 lbs, or 8 at 130, etc. He usually has me start lighter with more reps, then progress slowly up with fewer reps more weight.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I am the same age as you, and I don't deadlift because of possible back injuries. Just my opinion so I am sure someone will jump up and disagree, but i would stay away from them unless you plan on becoming a powerlifter...

Wrong. Just so wrong.

I'm 47. And I know lots of guys older than me that deadlift. I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess that our backs are a lot healthier than yours.
    Actually, I can max deadlift 450lbs, i just don't see any need to do it on a regular basis and put that much strain on my joints, ligament, etc
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Actually, I can max deadlift 450lbs, I just don't see any need to

I know of a couple of people who don't train deads very much, but it's largely because they focus more on squats, and when you are constantly trying to up your squat, training deadlifts often can hinder your progress. In all fairness, I do something similar, but in reverse. I very rarely train my squats as heavy as I possibly can, but that's because I deadlift 2-3 times per week, as it is my current focus.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I am the same age as you, and I don't deadlift because of possible back injuries. Just my opinion so I am sure someone will jump up and disagree, but i would stay away from them unless you plan on becoming a powerlifter...

Actually, I can max deadlift 450lbs, i just don't see any need to do it on a regular basis and put that much strain on my joints, ligament, etc

You don't deadlift so you don't hurt your back yet you do deadlift 450. Good for you.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I would start with bar and at least 5 to 10lbs on each side -- i believe it's better to start with the bar off the ground

If you want to do just the bar - stack some plates and then put the bar on top of it.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options

You don't deadlift so you don't hurt your back yet you do deadlift 450. Good for you.
    Don't and can't are two different principles
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mag1c
    mag1c Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Work on perfecting your hip hinge and good form doing deads will be natural.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    How many sets do you people in this thread do? I'm currently doing 5x5, yet with very light weights (at 15 kg atm). However, working my way up to 8 reps 5 sets seems harsh...

i usually do about 5-6 sets..

last time I started at 245# 8 / 275# 6 / 295# 3/305# 2/315# 2 ..315 was PR For me..I felt like I could of bumped to 320 but decided against it...
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I want to incorporate deadlifting and I was wondering the safest amount of weight is to start. I'm 41 and 180 lbs. Pretty strong but I want to be smart about this and not cause injury. Not really sure on reps or progression either. Too much confusing info on the websites. Thanks!! :happy:

Check out Starting Strength. Rippetoe will get you to use the correct form. And start with the weight as low as you need to. Choose form over weight, every time. I started with the empty 45 lb bar propped up on crates. 2 weeks later I'm up to 95 lbs but my progression pace is slower than molasses anyway.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i am not a women but if you can easily do 8 reps then the weight is too light and you should bump up. If you can do 8 @ 60# easy then bump up to 70 if you can still do 8 then go to 80...stop adding weight when you are strugling to get to four...in my opinion...

I am doing 3 sets of 10. I guess its way too light then huh?
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options

Ive never had any back problems and i feel pretty strong- but you never know. Thats mostly why i want to bump it up gradually until i actually feel it but im still not there yet (hence the question:)
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i am not a women but if you can easily do 8 reps then the weight is too light and you should bump up. If you can do 8 @ 60# easy then bump up to 70 if you can still do 8 then go to 80...stop adding weight when you are strugling to get to four...in my opinion...

depends on your goals..but I would say yes..you could probably bump up 10 to 20#s...
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

depends on your goals..but I would say yes..you could probably bump up 10 to 20#s...

If you really are a newbie, everything I have read suggests you should start with up to 15 reps to improve tendon and ligament strength and flexibility. Mind you, you don't do that for long (about 6 workouts), and you add weight every time. After 6 workouts, up the weights a bunch and drop the number of reps. I do not know if this is 100% accurate, but I thought better safe than sorry to avoid injury to ligaments or tendons which take forever to heal.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Deads are a lift that is easy to have form lapses with. Combine that with what is usually heavier weight, the potential for injury ramps up a bit. I wouldn't recommend doing any more than 5 reps in a sets (outside of warmups). Rather than do 3 sets of 10 reps, do 10 sets of 3. It's easier to maintain your concentration and form with less reps and you still get the work volume that you'd get from doing higher reps.
  • reeves61612
    Options
    Thank you for replying..Very nice to see them all when I woke up this morning. Very helpful!
  • reeves61612
    Options
    DEADLIFTS! Tied for first in my favorite exercises with squats. I applaud you for wanting to incorporate them esp since not many women do them. But I agree with everyone else, start off slow, get good form, and dont wear a belt.

In addition, some rounding of upper back is ok (some ppl may disagree), hook grip from the beginning (no straps), and use chalk! Other than that have fun!
    Thank you. I never attemped diet and excercise before, I was just always active and ate well anyway. But lifestyle change and age happened..lol. I am excited to see how I can transform my body and my life!