Most ridiculous serving size?

Options

Replies

• dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the microwavable containers of soup that supposedly contain two servings. They just baffle me. If the container is supposed to be the bowl you eat from, who is splitting that with someone else?

This too! I forgot about those!
  • BearHugger78
    Options
    Totino's Party pizzas. They are TINY and a serving is HALF the pizza. I can nibble away that much just carrying it from the toaster oven to the table!

This reminds me of a frozen pizza serving I've seen: "1/5 of a pizza". Who the heck cuts their pizza into fifths?! LOL
  • nzs110b
    nzs110b Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Anything that measures a service in OZ. Like tortila chips or Pirates Booty. Just let me know how many I have to count out....
  • mdyorston
    Options
    Pop Tarts. 2 come in the pack. Serving size is 1. Who eats just 1 pop tart?

Exactly!
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    A good rule of thumb I've found with serving sizes is that it's ok to double it potentially (as if you have gone back for "seconds") but don't have three times the serving at a sitting.

Otherwise there tend to be pretty good reasons why the serving size on certain things are quite small. I'm very glad for the "serving" information on packages. It helps me a lot to gauge how much of something I'll have.
  • Catzwitch
    Catzwitch Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I hate cans on vegetables/beans/etc with "about 2.5" servings. I do carb counting and I know I am going to eat a whole can of CiCi Beans (garbanzos), so here I am in the store with the cans flipped around trying to do decimal math in my head. I eventually just give up and don't buy beans.

that and juice/soda that is 2.75 servings per bottle. -_-

Or some of the frozen vegetarian meats that have a serving size of so many ounces - sometimes there is a bunch of ice crusted up on that thing so I have to cook it to know how much is a serving, but then if I cook too much I'll just eat what I cooked anyway.
  • mdyorston
    Options
    croutons....2 tbsp? should be pieces
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I need to know who just eats half of the brick of ramen?? If I'm going to embalm myself with salt and carbs, I'm going big. I"m eating the WHOLE brick.
  • duckiec
    duckiec Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Packaged deli meats that say "2oz." That's nice can you just tell me how many slices that is please?
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    A Tombstone pizza serving size is 1/5 of a pizza. How do you cut a circle into 5 equal pieces???

You know that a circle spans 360 degrees. Divide this by 5 and you have 72 degrees.

1) Use the protractor (a semi-circle) to create a full circle.

2) Make a mark on the circle at 0 degrees. Make 4 more marks at 72, 144, 216, and 288 degrees.

3) From the center of the circle, draw a line segment out towards each of those marks.

You now how 5 equal parts of a circle.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    A Tombstone pizza serving size is 1/5 of a pizza. How do you cut a circle into 5 equal pieces???

You know that a circle spans 360 degrees. Divide this by 5 and you have 72 degrees.

1) Use the protractor (a semi-circle) to create a full circle.

2) Make a mark on the circle at 0 degrees. Make 4 more marks at 72, 144, 216, and 288 degrees.

3) From the center of the circle, draw a line segment out towards each of those marks.

You now how 5 equal parts of a circle.

Hell, and I thought using digital scales was a pain in the *kitten* :laugh:
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I have a bag of croutons in the cabinet... serving size 2 tablespoons. How are you supposed to measure that when most of the croutons won't even fit properly in an actual tablespoon? Why not just say "serving size about 2 croutons"? On top of that -- while it's obviously healthier to go with none anyway -- what kind of salad that includes croutons only uses two of them?

This drives me BANANAS! I like to log accurately though so i Just throw 'em on my scale since it's on the counter anyways. And then I proceed to have 5 servings of croutons on my salad.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I have a bag of croutons in the cabinet... serving size 2 tablespoons. How are you supposed to measure that when most of the croutons won't even fit properly in an actual tablespoon? Why not just say "serving size about 2 croutons"? On top of that -- while it's obviously healthier to go with none anyway -- what kind of salad that includes croutons only uses two of them?

That's hilarious. because I think the exact same thing every time I use croutons. I just weigh them.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I don't know about serving sizes but I have an irrational hatred of any container that has fractional servings. Servings per container - 2.5. WTF?

"How many servings shall we put in a container? Two or three? Oh, *kitten* it, let's just split the difference and call it two and a half."

So if it's just me and the wife, we have to store or throw half a serving, or over-eat.
    If it's me, the wife and our daughter, we get stiffed on the servings, or have to open two packets and store/throw two servings.
    If my step-son is visiting, we have to open two packets, and store or throw a serving.

What you have described here is genius marketing at its best. Tim Tams ("Australia's Favourite Biscuit" - can't stand them myself) used to come in a packet of 11. Why? Prime number, couldn't be evenly split. Want an even share between a few people? Open a 2nd packet... It's very devious :)
  • rosichick
    rosichick Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Grated Parmesan cheese serving size is two teaspoons for 136 calories!! Might as well not even bother!
  • Catzwitch
    Options

I could see 3 if you cut it like a peace sign, but how do you pull off 5....

Now while you could get it by cutting the pizza into 10ths, and then eating two pieces, but thats not the point of the logic puzzle now....
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Popcorn and rice. Oh and noodles. It's the whole dry vs. cooked debacle. By the time I think I've figured out how much I can eat, I give up and throw the box back in the pantry. Not worth it.

THIS drives me insane.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Package of sausage links that come 4 to a package, lists nutrition info per 2oz serving instead of per link. total package is 14oz. You have to solve a word problem to eat sausage.

Lol-have to do a word problem to eat sausage. That seriously made me lol.
  • Catzwitch
    Options

I could see 3 if you cut it like a peace sign, but how do you pull off 5....

Now while you could get it by cutting the pizza into 10ths, and then eating two pieces, but thats not the point of the logic puzzle now....

http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/40500/40551/Pie_01-05a_40551_lg.gif
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    1 macaroon - size of a coin

CutestFood_com_img_5690_large1.jpg

50 calories!