Spouce asking you to buy junk food

Options

Replies

• ijavagypsy
    Options
    Just wondering if there is anyone out there that as they head out to the gym for a good work out their spouse or Significant Other asks them to stop and buy Oreo's or ice cream or some equally unhealthy thing your trying NOT to eat....
    Do you do it and just try to stay storng or do you tell them to get it themself????
    Actually, what I have done is explain that if I want junk food, I'll cook/bake it myself as a measure of calorie control. After all, if you don't want to go through the trouble of making it, perhaps you don't want it badly enough lol! :smile:
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    If I'm already going to the store shopping, yes. On my way home from the gym? No. My workout would be ruined.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    My husband buys the junk. I won't buy it. If he wants it he can get it lol He's always at the store anyway so its never been an issue.
  • dreamingofhealthy
    dreamingofhealthy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if there is anyone out there that as they head out to the gym for a good work out their spouse or Significant Other asks them to stop and buy Oreo's or ice cream or some equally unhealthy thing your trying NOT to eat....
    Do you do it and just try to stay storng or do you tell them to get it themself????
    Actually, what I have done is explain that if I want junk food, I'll cook/bake it myself as a measure of calorie control. After all, if you don't want to go through the trouble of making it, perhaps you don't want it badly enough lol! :smile:

I love that thought process! I'm going to try it...again I'm not generally overly tempted but this is a great idea.
  • ijavagypsy
    Options
    My husband buys the junk. I won't buy it. If he wants it he can get it lol He's always at the store anyway so its never been an issue.

I suspect that you have the solution lol! :happy: Godspeed!
  • dreamingofhealthy
    dreamingofhealthy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Not in a relationship, but if I was, hell yes I would. Why should your SO be deprived of food they love because YOU decided to make changes?

Plus, you're a woman. You're supposed to make your man happy.

BJ's and steak amirite?

if my hubby were on here he'd say heck ya to the BJ!!!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I don't see why you would want to support unhealthy habits like junk food with your loved ones. If your sig/other asked you to stop on the corner and pick up a dime bag of smack for him, would you? because YOU are the one not shooting heroin, not them?

Lucky for me, both my wife and I have similar tastes and goals in achieving better health. But I know for a fact that if I ask her to grab a frozen pizza or a bag of cheetoh's while she's at the store she will, and has, say if you want to eat that junk buy it yourself. And I thank her for it.

Pizza and cheetos = smack? That seems a bit extreme.

Sometimes smack makes me crave pizza, does that count?
  • fwilson1031
    Options
    The only crap food I buy for my fiance and son are Doritos. Without those, he's a bear. I don't eat them, they usually don't last long with my boys though!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Not in a relationship, but if I was, hell yes I would. Why should your SO be deprived of food they love because YOU decided to make changes?

Plus, you're a woman. You're supposed to make your man happy.

BJ's and steak amirite?

if my hubby were on here he'd say heck ya to the BJ!!!

See? We agree!
  • shlobiwan
    shlobiwan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I don't see why you would want to support unhealthy habits like junk food with your loved ones. If your sig/other asked you to stop on the corner and pick up a dime bag of smack for him, would you? because YOU are the one not shooting heroin, not them?

Lucky for me, both my wife and I have similar tastes and goals in achieving better health. But I know for a fact that if I ask her to grab a frozen pizza or a bag of cheetoh's while she's at the store she will, and has, say if you want to eat that junk buy it yourself. And I thank her for it.

Pizza and cheetos = smack? That seems a bit extreme.

I don't know man - something tells me that if my food was trying to make faces at me, I just wouldn't want to eat it.
  • Shange_Gully
    Options
    i would raise my pimp hand if my woman asked me to bring that crap into the house
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    There are cookies and chocolate and junk food all through out my house.. I can look around my office and spot atleast 3 snacks in this very room- cookies, soup crackers (sour cream- pretty good but not worth it) and chips..
    I'm my guy asks me to get something for him I will. I'm the shopper in general, but if I asked him to get something on the way he'd do it too. He wouldn't decline just because it's "nasty healthy" (there are a few things I eat that he can not tolerate) nor will I refuse because it's junk food. I control my eating. Not his. :)

Plus a little self control and accountability is a good thing. If I have a cookie(or a cadbury egg and a chocolate pudding cup- like tonight) I log it and move on, if it fits my macros excellent, if it doesn't but I ate it anyways, I still log it. MY choice. :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Oreos and ice cream are not junk food. They are hard to fit in your macros sometimes, but not junk at all.

I haven't bought Oreos in a long time, but I buy donuts (*gasp*) often. Last weekend I spent two hours making donuts in my own kitchen and saved about $8. I haven't bought ice cream in a while since it's been so cold. I almost bought some Breyer's today because it was half price, but then I remembered the last time it was half price it was due to freeze burn. Yuck!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Wow! Hyperbole much? :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Of course that counts. Pizza is more dangerous, dontchano?
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    My bf and I gave up sweets together for lent. However, before that started, he usually brought whatever treats he wanted over or we would go together and I would purchase them for him. I told him I wasn't doing anymore baking during lent because that would be torture. I don't eat a lot of 'prepackaged' foods, I like to make my own.

But if he asked me, of course I would - after informing him of the calories involved of course :tongue:
  • LovelyLaura2321
    LovelyLaura2321 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I think it depends. If you are really tempted by those things and if it causes you to eat things you don't really want to eat, I don't see the problem in talking to your spouse about this. It's not fair to you to be tempted like that - especially when you are trying to make such a hard change.

If it were me, I would talk with my spouse about it. Yes, they shouldn't have to "suffer" and not get to eat the crappy food they want just because you aren't eating it. But shouldn't they want to support you? In my opinion, asking you to get junk food isn't supportive...
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    It isn't strong to tell him to get it himself, it's rude. My husband always gets chips, and if I'm the one shopping, I get it for him. And if I want some,I dole out the 20-30 chips that equals a serving and leave the rest for him.

He doesn't drink milk, eat yogurt or cottage cheese because he's lactose intolerant, but he doesn't tell me to get it myself, he buys them with our regular groceries. Why? Because he's considerate and not an ignorant prick, and he knows who he shares the bed with.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    This is what I do for him:

122nnki.jpg
  • traccie2
    traccie2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    That's a tough one.... My boyfriend is in good shape and has a good metabolism and doesn't eat a lot of junk food but everyonce in awhile he'll want something. I can always tell when he's ready for something sweet so I try to plan ahead of time.

Tonight I picked him up some chocolate jello pudding... so I bought myself some sugar free chocolate pudding. Since it's not something we'll buy regular I'm not too worried about this purchase. When he wants cookies or sweet cakes I ask him to take them to work with him and leave them there. As for the ice cream... omg, I'm such an ice cream *kitten*.... I buy him the single serving size and not only am I less tempted to get into it but it doesn't stick around long because it's the single serving.

Also he'll buy his fast food when he wants it, but I don't go with him. When I'm not in temptation mode I'll pick something up for him, but if I know I'm weak I'll just tell him I can't. He either understands or don't, but in the end it's my health and not his.