"you have such a pretty face"

Options

Replies

• FightTheFrump
    FightTheFrump Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Fine, your face is ugly.

Oh come on that's just rude and unnecessary. It's neither clever nor funny. You should really apologize. And reflect.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I never got that compliment. Nor others.

I think you should accept it to mean someone thinks you look pretty. Faces are what people are generally drawn to.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    People say dumb stuff in an effort to be consoling. Ignore.

You could always whip around and say to the offender, "Pretty is only skin deep, but stupid and mean go to the bone."

Or you could be the stupid and mean one saying that to someone giving a genuine compliment.

As you will. But I think what the OP was getting at was the unspoken BUT that tends to follow "You have such a pretty face."

If something is unspoken, how do you know it even exists? People can misinterpret words, stares, gestures, etc. all the time. There are so many posts about people getting angry about intentions they are projecting on other people; that is dangerous business, to assume mind-reading capabilities that paint you as a victim and others as abusers.

This sort of, "I'm getting a compliment, but I'm viewing it differently" is almost always an issue of insecurity with the person hearing the compliment. When I was at my most warped during my eating disorder, I would take the comment of, "You look so skinny!" as "They're saying I *look* skinny, but I'm not actually; they're trying to make me feel better."; sound messed up? Yeah, so does "I hate hearing I have a pretty face."
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    LOL when I was larger I couldn't even get that... I got you have really nice skin.
  • NobodyInParticular
    NobodyInParticular Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people tell me I have a great body... and say nothing else. Um, hello, I have a face!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Take it as a compliment.

You can fix a body but you can't fix a face.

^

Congrats on your race/5k!
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    knife.to.the.chest.

just got told this and reminded why i keep going to the gym. this is what keeps me going. i NEVER want to hear that again. :(

That's funny...I always like hearing that big, small and everything in between.

It is just a compliment. Take it. And ease up ;-)
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    You can call me fat...but never call me ugly. Ugly if left untreated can be bad for you.
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    While I understand it can be hard to hear it... it does means you are pretty.
    And you're only going to get more and more compliments as you progress through your weight loss journey.

Take it from someone who doesn't have to wear face paint to scare kids on Halloween, you are ahead of the genetic curve.
  • Ivian_
    Ivian_ Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'll take whatever I can get as far as compliments go.

From, "You have a pretty face" to "Damn girl! I'd leave the paper bags at home for you!"

:laugh:
  • Rosytakesoff
    Options

You could always whip around and say to the offender, "Pretty is only skin deep, but stupid and mean go to the bone."

Or you could be the stupid and mean one saying that to someone giving a genuine compliment.

As you will. But I think what the OP was getting at was the unspoken BUT that tends to follow "You have such a pretty face."

I think anyone who believes that is being overly sensitive. I looked at the OP's photos and she does have a pretty face. Why make it more than it is?

Don't think I am. The OP seemed to be bothered by it; that's why she posted. *shrug*

Well, I mean, you suggested giving an insult in return for a compliment, so yeah that does seem kind of overly-sensitive as far as that goes.

It sounded like she took it as an insult. Again, I shrug. I am not particularly sensitive, so stuff like that comment wouldn't bother me much. But is sounds like the OP was hurt by it. And I've heard a lot of people say they are bothered by a comment like that. Who knows if the person who said it was giving an actual compliment or being condescending? Do you really care what I think?
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    knife.to.the.chest.

just got told this and reminded why i keep going to the gym. this is what keeps me going. i NEVER want to hear that again. :(

Be careful what you wish for.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Or...you look like you were hit in the face with a bag of nickels?
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    My husband tells me I have the prettiest face he's ever seen. It always gives me butterflies to hear that. Do I think he's insinuating anything about my body? No, he just thinks I have the prettiest face he's ever seen, period.

And really, when someone says that to you, it would be wise to take it just that far as well... "You have a pretty face <stop>"
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

I think anyone who believes that is being overly sensitive. I looked at the OP's photos and she does have a pretty face. Why make it more than it is?

Don't think I am. The OP seemed to be bothered by it; that's why she posted. *shrug*

Well, I mean, you suggested giving an insult in return for a compliment, so yeah that does seem kind of overly-sensitive as far as that goes.

It sounded like she took it as an insult. Again, I shrug. I am not particularly sensitive, so stuff like that comment wouldn't bother me much. But is sounds like the OP was hurt by it. And I've heard a lot of people say they are bothered by a comment like that. Who knows if the person who said it was giving an actual compliment or being condescending? Do you really care what I think?

Since none of us here but the OP knows the background and feelings that occurred, perhaps we should let her defend her story herself?
  • Rosytakesoff
    Options
    "Since none of us here but the OP knows the background and feelings that occurred, perhaps we should let her defend her story herself?"

Sure.
  • Sweetestthing87
    Sweetestthing87 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have never been bothered by this...I get it lots. The older I get the more I like to hear it! As others have said, take it as a compliment and have a wonderful day!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

Yeah, should people say nothing at all? Would you want them to say you look great when you both know it's not true?
  • vaceves
    Options
    Learn to accept a compliment, pretty lady! =)
  • ThePersnicketyOtter
    Options
    I don't actually understand why that's offensive to you guys???