"you have such a pretty face"

Options
12346»

Replies

• pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    thirded...... or it least its very hard and painful and expensive to change your face lol
    [/quote]

hahahaha love this
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    We are so in the same boat!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    OMG; it happened!

Thanks. haha
  • EmiBun
    EmiBun Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Looked through your picture, I believe you are Gorgeous from headddd to toee! :)
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    For God's sake take it as a compliment. I don't get what's bad about it?!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    You need to learn to take a compliment. The only appropriate response, even if the person is actually being nasty, is "thank you." Anything else makes you look like the jack***, not the person giving the compliment. And don't let a self esteem issue destroy potential relationships (romantic, friendships, even professional) upon a first meeting. Say "thank you" and move on. Heck, maybe even return a compliment.

And, while we're on the subject, you're going to start getting loads of compliments as you lose weight so focus on this now. It's just life. People, for the most part, enjoy being nice.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I understand what you're saying. I've heard many attractive,overweight women say they've received the compliment and feel the same way. Just try to take it as a positive and think how smokin' hot you'll be when you feel more confident with your body.

It can be hard to take a compliment when you don't feel confident. Someone can say "You have nice hair" and all you hear is "But everything else about you sucks!!!!!"

The thing is, there are other people who don't accept a generic "You're so pretty" compliment and want specifics. So everyone is just screwed no matter WHAT they say! :laugh:
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    some people got a little fired up over this... didn't expect that.

it is the unspoken "BUT...." that bothers me. And when "you have such a pretty face" comes from a guy that you've just started talking to (and like), yah, i heard a "BUT"..... i don't think i'm overly sensitive for being a little bothered by this. i'm not sitting here crying about it, it bothered me and i posted. i was using it as an example of something that motivates me to keep going, working toward my goal. and yes, i suppose my self esteem could use some improvement, but i also tend to think i'm more realistic, not just down on myself. i realize my shortcomings. i don't necessarily find that as negative. but, valid point...

anyway, i don't necessarily think it was said with malice, but it did hurt. it always hurts.

on another note-- i would like to say thank you for all the wonderful things people said tho- they were so wonderful to hear and i'm truly appreciative!

It's not realistic to think there's always an "unspoken but" though. That's the thing; you said you weren't even sure the compliment was told with malice, but it still hurt.

That sounds like you know they intended it as a positive compliment, but added on the "but" internally.

If it "always hurts," that's a signal that you might be viewing more shortcomings of yourself then there are. I used to be the, "I'm just being real; I'm bla bla bla," but I *wasn't*. I had a skewed perspective of myself, I perceived things around me incorrectly, etc.

^This.

You like a guy who likes looking at your face. I'd say that's off to a pretty good start. :flowerforyou:
  • FightTheFrump
    FightTheFrump Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You like a guy who likes looking at your face. I'd say that's off to a pretty good start.

Really we should end the discussion with that brilliant observation. (Meant sincerely. No sarcasm.)
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    , lots of guys prefer women with a 'bit of meat' on them!!

No. Let's not go there, k? Body shaming is body shaming, regardless if you're talking about a skinny, fit, or fat person.

I wasn't 'body shaming' anyone. It was in quotes because it has been said to me when I was a lot younger. Along with ''nice body, shame about the face'' Yeah, people actually say things like that to you.
    What about all the posts saying '' You can fix fat, you can't fix ugly' . That sure made me feel good about myself. ( That was sarcasm btw)
    Thanks for understanding.
  • divaindy
    divaindy Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Better than what I got "when are you due"......that's hard to take as a compliment.....it's just a sock in the gut!
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Take it as a compliment.

You can fix a body but you can't fix a face.

The problem is its condescending. - Im sure you get this all the time- After all the effort you put in- If someone said "oh you have such a pretty face" Sort of like someone saying "you have a butter face- everything hawt but her face"
    Now they said you were hot! Take a freaking compliment!

or should I say you should take what you can get? Because thats something else im hearing- I dont like that either.

Ive gotten this before- but I shut them down right away. Im like nah man- its all hot the face just puts a bow on it. Or I work hard to look this good- you best acknowledge the rest of it. Unless it's elderly people- I just am like- Oh thank you. So if you're old you get an exception to my shut down.

and for the people who say- should they say nothing at all- YES they should say nothing at all. Believe it or not- It is completely optional that you approve of my face. I want it all or I want nothing

Maybe Im ungrateful and greedy- but I wouldnt be investing this much time in self reconstruction if I wasn't. Im not grateful to "take what I can get" Im not grateful with the body I was given. Im not grateful for your pity compliments. 9x out of 10 it means you want to do a good deed for the day. And I am NOT grateful to be your good deed for the day.

Wow.

I guess a compliment isn't just a compliment anymore.
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    never mind...
  • lolagurlx0x0
    lolagurlx0x0 Posts: 149 Member
    Options

Maybe Im ungrateful and greedy- but I wouldnt be investing this much time in self reconstruction if I wasn't. Im not grateful to "take what I can get" Im not grateful with the body I was given. Im not grateful for your pity compliments. 9x out of 10 it means you want to do a good deed for the day. And I am NOT grateful to be your good deed for the day.

Wow.

I guess a compliment isn't just a compliment anymore.

Im glad you got the core message of what I was saying... >.>

A compliment is great- but it's pretty obvious when someone is saying it because you're fat.
  • sunforme3
    sunforme3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Agreed