Donating blood burns 600-650 calories!

Options

Replies

• kschr201
    kschr201 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I've never done it. There's always some reason I can't: fever, low iron, travel.

I will though. I'd really like to. And I really have no idea what my blood type is so pure curiosity (maybe that's unusual).
  • happypath101
    Options
    Wow! I try to donate *after* I've worked out. That way it doesn't matter so much if I have to skip the next day. Another option is walk to and from the donation site. All around, it's a good thing to do.

(And, ya, they have to change the totally archaic laws about homosexuals and blood donation in Canada. It's insulting. I have gay friends that have been in monogamous relationships for 20+ years and they're turned away at the door when someone straight and single and active [perhaps with multiple high-risk partners] is accepted. It's just rude.)
  • FightTheFrump
    FightTheFrump Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Donating blood is great and very important. But it is not exercise. You still need to move your body for 60 minutes today.
  • Rhia55
    Rhia55 Posts: 247
    Options
    I wish I could donate, but my veins are too small and roll too much to deal with the cannula.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I wish I could donate, but my veins are too small and roll too much to deal with the cannula.

My wife is a phlebotomist, and a damn good one at that. I bet she could stick you, and you wouldn't even know it.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    Donating blood is great and very important. But it is not exercise. You still need to move your body for 60 minutes today.

Please, stop it, you're killing me.

Does anyone believe, for one second, that anyone - no matter how misguided or even outright moronic - would need to be told that giving blood can not take the place of exercise?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

My wife is a phlebotomist, and a damn good one at that. I bet she could stick you, and you wouldn't even know it.

Yeah, I wasn't the original one to post this, but do you have any idea how many times I have heard that? I usually have to walk out with cotton balls and band aids on both elbows PLUS my hand.
  • FightTheFrump
    Options

Does anyone believe, for one second, that anyone - no matter how misguided or even outright moronic - would need to be told that giving blood can not take the place of exercise?

I don't think anyone might truly believe it. But many people are looking for a quick fix and an easy excuse not to exercise. So I burned 600 calories giving blood today. That means I can eat an extra 600 calories without lifting a finger right? Let's not kid...lots of people will think this way.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

Yeah, I wasn't the original one to post this, but do you have any idea how many times I have heard that? I usually have to walk out with cotton balls and band aids on both elbows PLUS my hand.

My wife is the one they call to stick babies, cancer patients, morbidly obese people, dying people with virtually no blood pressure, and people that no-one else has been able to stick. There are regular patients in all the locations she works that refuse to be stuck by anyone but her. If she can't stick you, I'm pretty confident in saying that no one can :laugh:
  • whitneyps7
    whitneyps7 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    In Canada they won't accept blood from Homosexual donors. Not high-risk homosexual donors-ALL homosexual donors.

Therefore they don't get my calories.

it's the same way here in the U.S.
    it's a shame really :( there are so many people out there willing to give blood and help others, and they turn you down due to your sexual preferences.

very sad. and bulls*** honestly
  • concordancia
    Options

My wife is the one they call to stick babies, cancer patients, morbidly obese people, dying people with virtually no blood pressure, and people that no-one else has been able to stick. There are regular patients in all the locations she works that refuse to be stuck by anyone but her. If she can't stick you, I'm pretty confident in saying that no one can :laugh:

Can you have her in my doctors office next month?

I was in the hospital as a child and got to listen to two phlebs: we will have to take it out of her hand! Her hand, you can't do that, it will hurt! 30 some years later, I can tell you the hand hurts less than the digging!
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    I wonder if donating platelets does the same thing? I donate them as they are used toward people with like cancer and that's close to my heart.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

I don't think anyone might truly believe it. But many people are looking for a quick fix and an easy excuse not to exercise. So I burned 600 calories giving blood today. That means I can eat an extra 600 calories without lifting a finger right? Let's not kid...lots of people will think this way.

Frankly, I would say that you should not have any calorie deficit at all on a day that you give blood. Since it seems most people on MFP run a 1000 Calorie deficit (we're an impatient bunch), an extra 600 Calories is not unreasonable.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

Can you have her in my doctors office next month?

I was in the hospital as a child and got to listen to two phlebs: we will have to take it out of her hand! Her hand, you can't do that, it will hurt! 30 some years later, I can tell you the hand hurts less than the digging!

:laugh: Sure, if I ever get her home. During the blizzard the hospital has asked her to stay over so they know she'll be on hand, and so they don't have to worry about whether she can make it in. Yeah, never mind her family, guys, we need her too!
  • FightTheFrump
    Options

Frankly, I would say that you should not have any calorie deficit at all on a day that you give blood. Since it seems most people on MFP run a 1000 Calorie deficit (we're an impatient bunch), an extra 600 Calories is not unreasonable.

I think a 1,000 calorie deficit is rather unhealthy. It might lead to weight loss but seriously how sustainable is that? This is just my opinion. You are absolutely correct in noting that many people consistently post that kind of calorie deficit. And I don't judge. (Out loud anyway.) I simply worry about unsustainable behaviors. And I don't do it myself.
  • atoz133
    atoz133 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    No matter why you decide to donate, THANK YOU!!!! It's selfless people like you that saved my life!!!

Please know that every time you give, someone fighting for their life is eternally grateful to you, as is their friends, family and the amazing doctors/nurses fighting to save them. The hour it takes to donate can give years back to a mom like me :o)
  • kamiAK
    kamiAK Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    In Canada they won't accept blood from Homosexual donors. Not high-risk homosexual donors-ALL homosexual donors.

it's a shame really :( there are so many people out there willing to give blood and help others, and they turn you down due to your sexual preferences.

they also dont take it from people that had a tattoo in the last year or if you are sick or HIV positive or a drug user...there are plenty of reasons and they are ALL GOOD REASONS
  • concordancia
    Options

they also dont take it from people that had a tattoo in the last year or if you are sick or HIV positive or a drug user...there are plenty of reasons and they are ALL GOOD REASONS

No: HIV positive is not the same as potentially HIV positive, based on an out of date stereotype.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I donated blood today, and have been feeling a little discouraged because I've been extra hungry and not able to do any strenuous exercise. I am over my calories for the day already, but I still feel like eating. :grumble:
    So. anyway, out of curiosity, (and to hopefully make myself feel better) I looked it up to see if it does burn calories. And YES! it does - 600-650 calories! Now I feel better, it doesn't look any better on my food diary :ohwell: but at least I know it's better.

... okay, so I'm tired and probably shouldn't be in the forums. My sarcasm-o-meter is on the fritz. I'm assuming this was a serious post. While donating blood is FABULOUS and unselfish and wonderful on all accounts... it's a little bit of a misconception to say it burns 600 calories. The fluid volume removed DOES cause an instant dip in the scale, and it does indeed burn calories to manufacture more... but more context needs to be given.

Part of this is based on the number of calories you burn just by breathing. The rest is math. Blood contains proteins totaling 33-38 grams per pint. At about four calories per gram, this translates to 132-152 calories, plus a small number expended by the liver to generate plasma components. Beyond the roughly 150 calories of glucose, triglycerides, amino acids and proteins, whole blood contains red and white blood cells and platelets, all generated within bone marrow. Based on a review of the scientific literature, one can safely conclude to replace a pint of donated whole blood, you will use approximately 350-400 calories... and that's over the time it takes to produce more, not instantly.

As for the discussion on homosexuality and blood donation (blatantly plagiarized from the Washington Times in 2012), The federal government has one study in a planning stage and three studies under way that could eventually provide evidence to end the ban on blood donations from all gay men.The key question is, “Can blood safety be maintained or improved under a revised blood-donation screening criteria that would permit donations by lower-risk MSM [men who have sex with men] donors?” Currently, men who have had sex with men even once since 1977 are indefinitely deferred from donating blood because of the high prevalence of HIV/AIDS and Hepatitis B in such populations. The ban does not cover lesbians.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I need to make friends with a vampire lol