OMG! Home food pump for obesity, medically assisted bulemia?

Options

Replies

• bootsiejayne
    bootsiejayne Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Sorry to say it , "but only in America" [raises eyebrows *& tuts ]c ould such a thing be countenanced

It's not been approved in America as of right now. But it has been used in Sweden and "select regions of Europe".

"Some people manage to lose weight on a diet, but the kinds of changes you need to make to keep it off are probably not sustainable for many," she said. "There's a lot to be said for people being in the driver's seat with their own body, with their own health. This allows a patient to do that while under the care of a physician." Quoted from http://abcnews.go.com/Health/stomach-pumping-machine-makes-calories-disappear/story?id=18164739

I cannot believe someone actually said this in defense of this. How about taking control of what you put into your body to control your weight. This just really disturbs me. There is no accountability anymore.
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Mind = Blown...not in a good way. I'm disgusted. Anyone that would want this procedure is someone that would actually need to have some psychiatric help because they have an eating disorder and that's what the doctor should be doing for such a patient.
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Next on Dr. Oz... the pump. All I can say is WTF
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Absolutely horrendous … once again we work so hard to provide a workaround to taking responsibility for your actions. Removing all accountability
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    That is such absolute mindf***ing madness that I thought this was a joke thread.

ETA: and it breaks my heart what people are willing to do to themselves instead of taking a slow, sane, loving approach to changing their bodies. There's a self-loathing happening there that honestly makes me sad.

I'm sorry to say, this is NOT a joke thread. I couldn't believe when I saw it on the show this morning & I have since Googled it to read more of the awful details. This is already being used. See e.g.,

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-01/04/self-stomach-pump-for-dieters

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/01/09/dr-manny-dont-go-pumping-my-stomach-yet/

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/stomach-pumping-machine-makes-calories-disappear/story?id=18164739
    To quote from that article:
    "One female patient lost 38kg over the course of the 59 weeks she used the system. She "aspirated" after every meal: "the patient uncapped [her] tube, connected a 60 cc syringe and extracted food from her stomach twice. This resulted in a siphon effect, which permitted the subject to freely drain the stomach by allowing the open tube to empty into a bucket."

:cry:

Ugh! I think I'm about to aspirate my breakfast into the toilet after reading that. Bleh!

^^^ :sick:
  • proudandprejudiced
    Options
    I watched a documentary about eating disorders where a girl with anorexia had a feeding tube in her stomach and instead of putting food in like she was meant to, she'd use the thing in her stomach to suck food out. It was very serious and she had to have it removed..

It's the same thing? Just these people are obese and she was underweight. It's psychologically bad for anyone.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Wow! :noway: my head just blew up! :explode:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Sorry to say it , "but only in America" [raises eyebrows *& tuts ]c ould such a thing be countenanced

It's not been approved in America as of right now. But it has been used in Sweden and "select regions of Europe".

"Some people manage to lose weight on a diet, but the kinds of changes you need to make to keep it off are probably not sustainable for many," she said. "There's a lot to be said for people being in the driver's seat with their own body, with their own health. This allows a patient to do that while under the care of a physician." Quoted from http://abcnews.go.com/Health/stomach-pumping-machine-makes-calories-disappear/story?id=18164739

I cannot believe someone actually said this in defense of this. How about taking control of what you put into your body to control your weight. This just really disturbs me. There is no accountability anymore.

It's so easy to say that when you have never had an eating disorder. Some people are literally killing themselves with food and are unable to stop without help. Sometimes getting weight down by any means necessary is step one in saving someone's life, and this method is unlikely to be less unhealthy than bariatric surgery.
  • bootsiejayne
    bootsiejayne Posts: 151 Member
    Options

It's so easy to say that when you have never had an eating disorder. Some people are literally killing themselves with food and are unable to stop without help. Sometimes getting weight down by any means necessary is step one in saving someone's life, and this method is unlikely to be less unhealthy than bariatric surgery.

I agree that people with eating disorders are in need of medical help. However, the largest portion of that medical assistance should be mental health care. Those issues are psychological. No matter the method (pumps, bypass, lap band etc) it will not "cure" the person's thought processes and mental associations of food/body without addressing the bigger picture of mental health. I don't think it's going to help anyone overcome their issues with food by telling them "oh eat whatever you want you can just pump it out in a while." It's the same as "go binge and then just purge later." It's not battling eating disorders, it's encouraging them.
  • carolynbergen1
    Options
    Is this not bulimia ponced up?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulimia_nervosa

Except you wouldn't have the esophageal damage of vomiting. You could still have the malnutrition though. I've seen a couple of MFP posts about this and I must say I have mixed thoughts on it.

If someone is desperate enough to try this, then I think it is absolutely better than vomiting or laxatives. One reason is less damage to the digestive system, but another is that you would be required to see a doctor. Hopefully it would be used only as a tool in a multi-step process leading to a healthier relationship with food. Though, I'm sure not all doctors will be so scrupulous.

I just can't see this in any way leading to a healthier relationship with food. I see this as bulimia. Binge and purge, Food is fuel. The human body is not built to work this way. Take in too much food and then release the extra. IMO this can only start or fuel psychiatric problems (ie eating disorder). And what does one do when eating out? Eat like a pig and then excuse yourself to pump some out? And yeah...it's just really gross and kind of gluttonous. .
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    The trouble with this is twofold the way I see it. First, if the people lose weight, it will be in a malnourished way. Second, even if weight is lost, there is no training of better eating habits & so unless the malnourished stomach pumping continues indefinitely, the weight will come right back on. How is this a good plan?
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Yep. Appetite gone.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I agree that people with eating disorders are in need of medical help. However, the largest portion of that medical assistance should be mental health care. Those issues are psychological. No matter the method (pumps, bypass, lap band etc) it will not "cure" the person's thought processes and mental associations of food/body without addressing the bigger picture of mental health. I don't think it's going to help anyone overcome their issues with food by telling them "oh eat whatever you want you can just pump it out in a while." It's the same as "go binge and then just purge later." It's not battling eating disorders, it's encouraging them.

No, it's not encouraging them, or at least it doesn't have to be and shouldn't be. Of course psychological counseling is needed, but some very obese people could die from obesity related disease while working on the psychological issues. Sometimes getting weight down is emergent.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Sad...
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

No, it's not encouraging them, or at least it doesn't have to be and shouldn't be. Of course psychological counseling is needed, but some very obese people could die from obesity related disease while working on the psychological issues. Sometimes getting weight down is emergent.
    No. This isn't an emergency measure that would prevent that obesity-related cardiac event or whatever. This is a measure that would allow the destructive behavior to continue while mitigating its effects. If someone is really that out of control they need to be in an inpatient setting, not walking around siphoning their own stomachs.

Edit fer the grammers.
  • maddiequinlan
    maddiequinlan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    This is a step so far backwards not only in nutrition and health, but also in terms of eating disorders and mental illness. It is the most appalling human invention I have seen.
  • bcattoes
    Options

No. This isn't an emergency measure that would prevent that obesity-related cardiac event or whatever. This is a measure that would allow the destructive behavior to continue while mitigating its effects. If someone is really that out of control they need to be in an inpatient setting, not walking around siphoning their own stomachs.

Edit fer the grammers.

Why couldn't it be an emergency issue? As I said before, I'm sure there will be doctors that will install it for anyone willing to pay, but that doesn't change the fact that it could be safely done and fill a medical need in some cases.

And why would it need to be inpatient? It's a waste of resources to do something inpatient that can be safely done outpatient.

(FYI - it would be very difficult to drain your stomach while walking)
  • maddiequinlan
    maddiequinlan Posts: 46 Member
    Options

Edit fer the grammers.

Why couldn't it be an emergency issue? As I said before, I'm sure there will be doctors that will install it for anyone willing to pay, but that doesn't change the fact that it could be safely done and fill a medical need in some cases.

And why would it need to be inpatient? It's a waste of resources to do something inpatient that can be safely done outpatient.

Sorry to jump in, but you are assuming that this is something that can be done "safely", which I would argue is not the case.
    Those who you say would need this as am emergency measure due to not being able to control their eating whatsoever need professional psychological as well as physiological intervention and should be inpatient (IMO) until their mental and physical states are stable enough for them to live safely.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

Edit fer the grammers.

It's not an emergency issue because this device is not preventative, it simply permits further destructive behavior. That hypothetical emergency in the future would be best addressed by preventative medical intervention, behavioral therapy and/or psychiatric care, and yes, in some cases admission into an inpatient program. Look, I get what you're thinking, that perhaps this is a sort of methadone that prevents further damage while weaning the addict. I just don't see it that way.

Edit AGAIN for omission.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Edit fer the grammers.

It's an emergency issue because this device is not preventative, it simply permits further destructive behavior. That hypothetical emergency in the future would be best addressed by preventative medical intervention, behavioral therapy and/or psychiatric care, and yes, in some cases admission into an inpatient program. Look, I get what you're thinking, that perhaps this is a sort of methadone that prevents further damage while weaning the addict. I just don't see it that way.

The emergent issue would likely be heart, vascular or metabolic in nature. Diabetes or hypertension not contollable with medication. History or high risk of stroke or heart attack. The pump c/would be the preventative medicine. But I can agree to disagree.