Is it safe to eat 2 eggs everyday?

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2796.1994.tb01068.x/abstract
    http://journals.lww.com/co-clinicalnutrition/Abstract/2012/03000/Rethinking_dietary_cholesterol.6.aspx
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-3010.2008.01735.x/abstract
    http://advances.nutrition.org/content/3/5/711.full.pdf

From the conclusion in the last link:
    The current epidemiological evidence indicates that dietary cholesterol (at current intakes) does not increase the risk of heart disease in healthy individuals. Clinical studies have shown that two thirds or more of the population do not have a considerable increase in plasma cholesterol after a dietary cholesterol challenge for extended periods of time, whereas in those who do respond, both LDL-C and HDL-
    C increase, and therefore they maintain their LDL-C/HDL-C ratio. Many countries have issued dietary guidelines that do not have recommendations for dietary cholesterol. Given that eggs are a good source of many nutrients, there is a growing awareness about how consumers can incorporate eggs into a healthy diet that meets current food-based dietary recommendations. Thus, there may be a need to reconsider the recommendations for dietary cholesterol for healthy populations.

If you are otherwise healthy, I think 2 eggs a day is perfectly fine.

And you are lucky enough not to be in the 1/3 of the population that did not have those same results.

Isn't that why most sensible people get an annual physical with blood work done, including a lipid profile? So that if you are in that 1/3 of the population, it gets caught and you can make the adjustments before you have any issues?

Yes
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I love my eggs. Lately I've been taking only the whites (yesterday I made 6 egg whites scrambled). I don't like them that way. I need my yolks. I don't have them every day so I'm going back to whole eggs a couple/few times a week.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options

A unhealthy LDL/HDL ratio is not the only thing that can raise your risk of heart disease.

Edit: typo

No argument here with that statement, but I'm wondering what it has to do with a discussion regarding whether or not it's healthy to eat 2 eggs a day? Are you suggesting that there's some other method at work here other than cholesterol that makes eating eggs a heart disease risk? If so, please share?
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Eggs much like sugar, margarine, meat, fat and just about everything else in this world, are subjects about which the so-called experts don't really know what is true and isn't true. Remember thirty years ago butter was evil and margarine was the way to go. Today we know with historical data that the reverse is true. I have eaten 3-6 eggs a day 5+ times per week since as far back as I can remember and thirty years ago when I power lifted I ate a dozen or more a day. I have normal cholesterol. Go figure! Eggs are our first real prepackaged food and they're pretty awesome on all levels.

Disclaimer; I'm not an expert and don't play one on TV, but I am a closet Egg cheerleader! Go eggs, go eggs, go eggs!!!:happy: :bigsmile: :happy:
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    PLEASE don't stop eating the yolks. Yes, there's cholesterol, but the cholesterol in eggs won't impact your cholesterol or give you issues with it. All the awesome nutrients are in the yolk and you should be eating them; the whites are just pure protein. I know there are differing opinions, but that's because yolks have been demonized for so long that it's ingrained in people's minds. Don't let outdated food thoughts impact how you eat - eggs are incredibly healthy. I usually eat 1-2 every day.
  • skydiveD30571
    skydiveD30571 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I got blessed with the high cholesterol gene. At 24 years old, active, and eating good it's right around 300. A complete switching of diet and losing 20+ pounds last year dropped my total cholesterol 4 points. What does my primary blood doctor say about eggs? Egg them all you want. And basically every cholesterol book I've ever read agrees with that. Dietary cholesterol has a minimal impact, at best, of total cholesterol levels. Genetics is the main driver, followed by gross amounts of fat/carbs in a diet. Eat away.
  • Kimmy_927
    Kimmy_927 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I read in some articles to eat 3-4 eggs per week. A few months ago I was eating 2 eggs a day. 2 eggs is more than 100% of the recommended daily cholesterol. I switched to the egg whites that are sold in the containers. Still lots of protein and filling.
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Right...when I was in my 20's and 30's, I knew everything, exercised a ton (athlete), ate what I wanted, didn't listen to my doc and now I am one....It will catch up with you eventually. My LDL and HDL were perfect....till later...it's great now, but only after I HAD to make major changes. Sad that we have to learn the hard way.

Just trying to help is all. Preventive maintenance is a cure within itself.

Be well!

I'm sure eggs are 100% to blame!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Everyone. Stop eating eggs. They are bad for you.

*hoping everyone stops eating them so the price drops back down to $1 dozen*

Thank you for your cooperation. :happy:

Seriously. I eat about a dozen a week and have noticed the price has doubled in the past few years. How expensive are eggs near you? On avg about $1.80 - $2.40 a dozen here for XL Eggs (non organic)

about 1.3 to 1.8 bahraini dinars for 30. the fancy ones like omega 3 eggs are at least 4 dinars for 6 (i.e. ridiculously expensive, I'll stick to regular eggs and get my omega 3s from cheaper sources!!)

btw the ones I get are naturally fed and free range and cost 1.6 dinars when I bought 30 yesterday

that's about 3 dollars 45 to 4 dollars 77 for 30.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 eggs with whole wheat toast with some type of fruit for breakfast everyday. Is it healthy and safe to do so?

YES! That's very nutritional for the calories. Enjoy!
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    It's especially stupid to spend money on *good* eggs -- real, pastured, organic eggs -- and then toss the yolks. Most of the benefits of high-quality eggs are going to be seen in the yolks more than the whites. The good fats, the omega-3s, the vitamin A., the lutein.... all are in the yolk, and you're throwing it away with every egg yolk you reject.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    No, centenarians never ate eggs. People that say 1 egg a day is fine but eating 2 will increase risk are thinking illogically.....the obvious answer is don't eat any and you eliminate that risk......wasn't that easy and logical.:wink:

Lets face it, it's the 300 or 400mg's in the eggs that will kill us and not the 35,000 or 40,000mg's we have naturally circulating in our body and any given time....those damn pesky eggs that have that big bulls eye for the nutritionally challenged to target, easy peasy.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    why wouldn't it be?
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky that eggs are on sale for $.99 a dozen at least every couple of weeks at a local Italian Market. I eat 2 to 3 hard boiled eggs most days.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    yep, i like green eggs and ham.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    No, centenarians never ate eggs. People that say 1 egg a day is fine but eating 2 will increase risk are thinking illogically.....the obvious answer is don't eat any and you eliminate that risk......wasn't that easy and logical.:wink:

Lets face it, it's the 300 or 400mg's in the eggs that will kill us and not the 35,000 or 40,000mg's we have naturally circulating in our body and any given time....those damn pesky eggs that have that big bulls eye for the nutritionally challenged to target, easy peasy.

What if the risk is not caused by cholesterol but by something else? I'll admit I haven't read a lot of egg research because I don't care for eggs enough to eat them often. But of the research I've seen that tied eggs to increased incidence of heart disease, it didn't specifically tie cholesterol to the same risk.
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I have had high cholesterol in the past.

For the last two months I have been eating very clean and I also have 3 eggs scrambled cooked in olive oil for breakfast nearly every day. Next Friday I have a physical and I am sure my doctor will want a full blood work done. So in about 2 weeks time I should have the results.

I am very interested in seeing the results after eating eggs for breakfast nearly everyday . If my cholesterol numbers are bad then the eggs will be the first to go.
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I sure hope so, or I'm doomed.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

What if the risk is not caused by cholesterol but by something else? I'll admit I haven't read a lot of egg research because I don't care for eggs enough to eat them often. But of the research I've seen that tied eggs to increased incidence of heart disease, it didn't specifically tie cholesterol to the same risk.

Then why don't you read the research and you wouldn't have to ask nonsensical mystery questions? What else would the risk be tied to in regard to eggs?? Other than the cholesterol question, which has been thoroughly addressed by both the research and answers in this thread, the high nutritional value of eggs is pretty well estabished. Have you considered educating yourself before you post?

Edited for spelling
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ This! Read the research and links already posted.

Do you know that there has never been any research that established a link between high cholesterol and heart attack/disease? Read the Frammington study (longest on going study). Look at the THINCS link too- even the physicians and scientists state that cholesterol isn't the issue. That the lipoproteins carrying it and systemic inflammation is the problem.

Less than half of all heart attack patients have cholesterol problems- over half have cholesterol levels well within government guidelines.