Women Be Shoppin'

Options

Replies

• shoshi68
    shoshi68 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Like Tony already suggested, get a pedometer and see how many KM's/Miles you walked. If its a decent amount like 2 miles or something, log it as 1 hour of shopping @ 2m/hour or something.

I typically shop like a man (grab what I need, get out) but once in a while I get trapped with a woman and/or have to do long shopping so this is how I log it. For small amounts (AKA less than 2 miles) I don't log it at all

Good luck :)

What he said. I spent 6 hours at IKEA (with my husband, he's a saint, I swear), walking the whole time, counted it as 3 hours walking super-slow. Active living is active living. Move your body. I can't ascribe to an all-or-nothing mindset with workouts, doesn't work for me.
    (again, not an attack, just saying what I do, and what works for me) :flowerforyou:
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I would not log such a thing as "exercise." You shopped before trying to lose weight, correct?

ETA: Since this might not be what you and some other people want to hear, I feel the need to clarify that this is MY opinion. I am not attacking. I am trying to help.

agreed...... If i did it fat, it don't count. Shopping, cleaning, sexy time..... none of that nonsense. I only log if I am actively working out or playing a sport. Things that the fat me didn't do....... ever.

I agree with this...except I'm still fat... just less fat...
  • Ivian_
    Ivian_ Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I heard there were cookies.....
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    All I get from the slow walking while shopping is a backache!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    get a pedometer or a fitbit and tell all these people to shut up. A WORKOUT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE IN A GYM FOR IT TO COUNT, I swear bunch of damn snobs in here anymore. Walking is walking in a store or on a treadmill, no difference. I used to log shopping and even walmart trips until I got my fitbit now it does that for me.

No attacking was done until you posted. Great job.

Tom-parks-and-recreation-20826147-500-280_zps5d8fc56d.png
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    get a pedometer or a fitbit and tell all these people to shut up. A WORKOUT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE IN A GYM FOR IT TO COUNT, I swear bunch of damn snobs in here anymore. Walking is walking in a store or on a treadmill, no difference. I used to log shopping and even walmart trips until I got my fitbit now it does that for me.

Whoa! *grabs popcorn*

Can I interest you in some Cookies & Cream Ice Cream while you're here?

of course! now what about that pickle? can I have that too?

I'll totally share my pickle with you... It is a day to celebrate, after all.

*Passes Ivian a cookie*
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I used to have a "friend" who logged calories for sitting and studying.

I just farted. I logged 4 calories.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options

Do you need a cookie?? I think you need a cookie.

He's just HANGRY! :laugh:
  • odusgolp
    Options

Unfriend...
  • BlackStarDeceiver
    BlackStarDeceiver Posts: 590 Member
    Options

30433400.jpg
  • Ivian_
    Ivian_ Posts: 276 Member
    Options

*Passes Ivian a cookie*

YAY!

But...

35251890.jpg
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Yeah we hold our farts in and count it as calories burned towards kegels.

That's not called a fart...
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options

*Passes Ivian a cookie*

YAY!

But...

35251890.jpg

^THIS is why she is MY wifey~!
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    get a pedometer or a fitbit
    A WORKOUT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE IN A GYM FOR IT TO COUNT,
    Walking is walking in a store or on a treadmill, no difference. I used to log shopping and even walmart trips until I got my fitbit now it does that for me.
    I agree with this, but if your activity level is set above sedentary probably not. I am more motivate if I set to my sedentary "tdee" then + activity. I log it based on the amount of weight being carried/pushed and how I feel afterward, such as if I go to the store by myself and just do light shopping I might do leisure with reduced time, but If I have my 5 year old on my back, not cutting time! and if I go for dog/cat food(about 50lbs) and push it around while I do all my other shopping, I'm not cutting time and I'll usually speed walk as much as possible lol... yes this is a work out.

EDIT- to clarify the portion I agree with, I'm rather non confrontational in general lol..
  • starrisonmclennon
    starrisonmclennon Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    i measure my heart rate and how many minutes i did, put the info into http://www.calories-calculator.net/Calories_Burned_By_Heart_Rate.html and it tells you how many calories you've burned, i don't like logging it just as walking because i walk quite quickly and plus idk whether i was walking at a consistent rate
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options

Do you need a cookie?? I think you need a cookie.

1694652_o.gif

Thanks for the Cookie.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options

Actually, some of the comments made by others piss me off, although I'm not quite as pissed as the above seems. I do agree with some of his points, though.

Before people start ridiculing the OP for asking the frigin question, how about asking for more info? Like, how long did you walk non-stop? How fast did you walk? Was your heart rate increased? What is your level of exercise set at here?

I'd really like someone to explain to me the difference between walking at a pace of 2.5 on a treadmill for 30 minutes non-stop and walking at the mall at the same pace, for the same amount of time. I'm not asking anyone's opinion on whether 2.5 for 30 minutes is "doing any good", either. I'm asking the difference and why you would log one and not the other.
  • nannyal
    Options
    Any movement banks you a calorie deficit/
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I love you, MFPers. :smooched:
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I only count shopping as exercise if I spend an entire day doing it at a large shopping centre and in that case I usually underestimate how long I've actually been doing the activity. However, I am a pretty fast shopper and a city girl so I almost run through the entire centre... really don't know why I do that.

Oops sorry, didn't answer your question!
    I log it under walking 3.0mph (walking the dog, i think it comes under?) but like I said, I walk very fast any time I walk anywhere.
    Definitely log it under walking, but maybe a little slower if it was a leisurely shopping trip. Again, I'd consider taking 1/3 or 1/2 off the time you spent out shopping to get a good estimate of the amount of time you spent walking as obviously you tend to stop and look at stuff, use changing rooms, etc.