Is it safe to eat 2 eggs everyday?

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ This! Read the research and links already posted.

Do you know that there has never been any research that established a link between high cholesterol and heart attack/disease? Read the Frammington study (longest on going study). Look at the THINCS link too- even the physicians and scientists state that cholesterol isn't the issue. That the lipoproteins carrying it and systemic inflammation is the problem.

Less than half of all heart attack patients have cholesterol problems- over half have cholesterol levels well within government guidelines.

Just by way of helpful correction, I believe you meant The Framingham Heart Study. It is sponsored by the American Heart Association and has been conducted continously since 1947. It has yet to find any causal link between dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    No, centenarians never ate eggs. People that say 1 egg a day is fine but eating 2 will increase risk are thinking illogically.....the obvious answer is don't eat any and you eliminate that risk......wasn't that easy and logical.:wink:

Lets face it, it's the 300 or 400mg's in the eggs that will kill us and not the 35,000 or 40,000mg's we have naturally circulating in our body and any given time....those damn pesky eggs that have that big bulls eye for the nutritionally challenged to target, easy peasy.

What if the risk is not caused by cholesterol but by something else? I'll admit I haven't read a lot of egg research because I don't care for eggs enough to eat them often. But of the research I've seen that tied eggs to increased incidence of heart disease, it didn't specifically tie cholesterol to the same risk.

Then why don't you read the research and you wouldn't have to ask nonsensical mystery questions? What else would the risk be tied to in regard to eggs?? Other than the cholesterol question, which has been thoroughly addressed by both the research and answers in this thread, the high nutritional value of eggs is pretty well estabished. Have you considered educating yourself before you post?

Edited for spelling

Since I wasn't posting my opinions, just information from the AHA and HSPH, what difference would my education make?
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Some people seem to be rather sensitive to dietary cholesterol, some people aren't. For me, I'm not sensitive to dietary cholesterol, so I have no problem eating all the yolks. And by saying I KNOW I'm not sensitive, I mean for more than a decade I've had full fasted cholesterol panels performed almost every three months, and I spent significant portions of that time trying dietary strategies. Basically for me, the toast or even oatmeal were more problematic than eggs. But thats for me with rather rigorous testing in place. We'll probably never REALLY know the truth, because there is no way to perform true long term randomized studies on large numbers of people. They just don't let us lock up large numbers of humans and control every aspect of their lives so we can actually figure these things out. The best thing we have is long term self reports. And self reports are remarkably inaccurate, and at best show correlation not causation. Even if the numbers trend to showing more eggs are bad, what ELSE goes along with those peoples situations? Your best bet if you are concerned is to have frequent monitoring. That way you can see how dietary factors effect you. But altogether, two eggs as part of a healthy balanced approach with plenty of fruits and vegetables is probably a heck of alot better for most anyone than swapping out real eggs for fake eggs as part of a diet full of other fake foods.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    No, centenarians never ate eggs. People that say 1 egg a day is fine but eating 2 will increase risk are thinking illogically.....the obvious answer is don't eat any and you eliminate that risk......wasn't that easy and logical.:wink:

Lets face it, it's the 300 or 400mg's in the eggs that will kill us and not the 35,000 or 40,000mg's we have naturally circulating in our body and any given time....those damn pesky eggs that have that big bulls eye for the nutritionally challenged to target, easy peasy.

What if the risk is not caused by cholesterol but by something else? I'll admit I haven't read a lot of egg research because I don't care for eggs enough to eat them often. But of the research I've seen that tied eggs to increased incidence of heart disease, it didn't specifically tie cholesterol to the same risk.
    Lets see, over the last 30 years going back to the low fat diet era it was either cholesterol and saturated fat that was seen as the problem. If it's not cholesterol then it's saturated fat. The argument against saturated fat is that it raises LDL cholesterol, simple, and people don't have to think or even research because "they" say so, so it must be true or maybe your talking about trptophan, selenium, iodine, b vitamins, vitamin D, or phosphorus in eggs that are harmful. Maybe it's the cloline in eggs being so prevalent are causing the problem, nah, that can't be right..........it's probably that 1.5g's of saturated fat in an egg, yeah that's the guy, it will kill us all. But wait, there's more saturated fat in a serving of salmon or almost the same as an oz of almonds, and an avocado has twice as much saturated fat as an egg. lol. :smile:
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    Options

Lets see, over the last 30 years going back to the low fat diet era it was either cholesterol and saturated fat that was seen as the problem. If it's not cholesterol then it's saturated fat. The argument against saturated fat is that it raises LDL cholesterol, simple, and people don't have to think or even research because "they" say so, so it must be true or maybe your talking about trptophan, selenium, iodine, b vitamins, vitamin D, or phosphorus in eggs that are harmful. Maybe it's the cloline in eggs being so prevalent are causing the problem, nah, that can't be right..........it's probably that 1.5g's of saturated fat in an egg, yeah that's the guy, it will kill us all. But wait, there's more saturated fat in a serving of salmon or almost the same as an oz of almonds, and an avocado has twice as much saturated fat as an egg. lol. :smile:

Or that it's neither and actually not caused by cholesterol or saturated fat. That systemic inflammation and lipids are the cause.

The Framington Heart Study followed the dietary habits of 15,000 participants over three generations. The longest most comprehensive epidemiological assessment in medical history (started I'm 1948). Dr Castelli summarised this issue "serum cholesterol is not a strong risk for coronary heart disease)". It found that there is no correlation between dietary cholesterol intake and blood cholesterol levels. Framington residents who ate the most cholesterol, saturated fat, and total calories actually weighed the least and were the most physically active.
  • michmich68
    michmich68 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I eat an egg almost every day and then a couple on Saturday/Sunday usually. I had my numbers done recently and my cholesterol readings were all better than they've ever been. Even the nurse commented that "your numbers are excellent!".

I'm still working on weight loss, but I definitely will not be eliminating or reducing my egg intake. If it aint broke, don't fix it!
  • donnamariebee
    Options
    UK recommendations are that eggs aren't restricted. As long as your keeping a healthy calorie intake and eating other foods for other nutrients you should be fine unless you have a medical contraindication).

(I work in Public Health and this is the advice we give).
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    UK recommendations are that eggs aren't restricted. As long as your keeping a healthy calorie intake and eating other foods for other nutrients you should be fine unless you have a medical contraindication).

(I work in Public Health and this is the advice we give).
    Canada doesn't have any restriction (RDA) on cholesterol either.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    The only way it wouldn't be safe is 1) you let them go bad on the counter top the night before; 2) your doctor said you shouldn't; or 3) you are allergic to eggs.

The nutrition you get from 2 eggs, as consumed within a healthy, balanced diet, is worth the little extra cholesterol.

Eggs can stay on the counter top for a long time! The whites are very antibiotic. You could even remove a part of the shell of an uncooked and they'd stay fresh for a while.
  • akrnrunner
    akrnrunner Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hope so! I eat at least 3 for breakfast most days and then sometimes do it for lunch or dinner for a quick meal!
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Um, I never saw this post until now, but jokingly my status was about eating 12 eggs in one day this week a few days' back...yes indeed. I eat 6 every day in any case and one day I ate 2 lots, forgetting about the first in the morning...I am still here and I am sure eggs are as good as any food source for lots of needed nutrients... : )
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Or that it's neither and actually not caused by cholesterol or saturated fat. That systemic inflammation and lipids are the cause.

The Framington Heart Study followed the dietary habits of 15,000 participants over three generations. The longest most comprehensive epidemiological assessment in medical history (started I'm 1948). Dr Castelli summarised this issue "serum cholesterol is not a strong risk for coronary heart disease)". It found that there is no correlation between dietary cholesterol intake and blood cholesterol levels. Framington residents who ate the most cholesterol, saturated fat, and total calories actually weighed the least and were the most physically active.

Aren't lipids fats? That was my understanding of them.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    Options

Aren't lipids fats? That was my understanding of them.

Yes but not dietary fat, it has many processes in the body one of which is carrying cholesterol. This excerpt explains it better than I can:

Ironically, it turns out that it’s not the cholesterol part of the LDL or HDL moiety that is dangerous, but the actual lipoprotein part. Unfortunately, once medicine had found a way to differentiate between the amount of HDL and LDL in a cost-effective blood test, it was the cholesterol part that got the short end of the deal.

The latest research into LDL shows that there are actually sub-categories of this cholesterol transporter and that some are more dangerous than others. The larger, more billowy LDL particles are now thought to have little or no significant role in heart disease. On the other hand, the smaller, dense LDL particles are the ones believed to be most involved in the process of inflammation that begins the atherosclerosis cascade. And wouldn’t you know it, but it’s a diet high in simple carbs that most readily promotes the formation of these small LDL particles! Unfortunately, this important distinction is probably something your doctor knows very little about, yet it’s the number of small particle LDL that might be the most important reading in any cholesterol test. So a total cholesterol of, say, 230 or even 250 might not be dangerous at all if your HDL is high and your small particle LDL is low.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Of course it is; does the same apply to Creme Eggs? :devil:
    I do believe the rule is DOUBLE for Creme Eggs nom nom nom

But seriously - I love eggs and agree - unless there is a medical reason why you shouldn't - I have them at least every other day and often have an egg as an ingredient for the evening meal ...
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Okay, okay, first of all. Yes, it's fine.
    Second of all, there is actually no evidence relating dietary cholesterol related to higher blood cholesterol levels.
    Usually, those who have excess fat, and have a poor diet have high cholesterol. Presumably, you either aren't, or are working on that. That's what the site is for, right?

"There are two types of cholesterol: high-density lipoprotein, or HDL, the “good” cholesterol, and low-density lipoprotein, or LDL, the “bad” kind. Having low levels of HDL and high levels of LDL cholesterol may put you at risk for heart disease and stroke. A large egg contains a full 212 mg of cholesterol. However, recent studies show that eating eggs does not contribute to heart disease in adults with no history of cholesterol problems. A report published in the January 2006 issue of “Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care” concluded that egg consumption had no effect on blood cholesterol in 70 percent of the population."
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Eat whole REAL eggs. Don't use the weird fake egg products, and don't only eat whites. All the vitamins and flavour are in the yolk.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I eat 4 yumm My blood was just taken and my doctor said I have really amazing cholesterol. Better than she has seen in a long time.
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I usually eat eggs as a snack. I almost always have hard boiled eggs made up in the fridge.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I can't eat enough eggs. I ate devilled eggs every morning until I got tired of them, then scrambled (2-3 whites, 1-2 yolks), plus egg whites in all my salads. LOVE eggs!

I never look at cholesterol. I suppose I should, if only to know whether it is spelled like that or with an 'a.' Cholesteral? Whatever.

Eggs rock.
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Where were you when I threw out my harboiled eggs because I let them sit in the pan of water over night!?!?!?

Sorry I failed you ;~; !!!