Is obesity 'normal' where you live, or 'abnormal'?

Options

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Half and half. Limited job opportunities where I live leaves lots of lower income folks who spend their limited budgets on convenience items. We also have one of the highest rates in the nation of per capita folks with two jobs, so that doesn't leave a lot of time. However, there is also a focus on outdoor recreation, but then again, it's cold a lot of the year and not everyone can afford to ski. People do exercise outside for fun. It's not really completely pedestrian-friendly from a shopping/living/working perspective, but a lot of people walk for fun and exercise. We don't have a regional culture of delicious yet unhealthy food items, but many don't feel (or truly can't) fit a gym membership into their budget, and they don't understand how to make their budgets go far enough to feed their families enough fruits, veggies, and lean proteins. And in the more rural areas, food selections are much more limited and you have to stick to the basics like apples, bananas, and salad mixes instead of things like quinoa, fresh fish, and edamame.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Its not normal here (Northern British Columbia) There are some obese people, and lots of overweight people, but also lots of healthy weight, very active people. There is quite a bit of in our town (Oil patch town), so joining a gym or putting kids into sports is not a big deal, and most of us can afford to eat well.

During the winter everyone is pretty much stuck inside and there isn't a ton to do, except for the gym, but during the summer there are always people walking, jogging, biking, hiking etc.
  • onmywaytobeperfect
    Options
    Very abnormal in my country
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Minnesota is often named in the healthier states but being overweight is still fairly common.

In the folks I know and socialize with and where I work it isn't as common. Everyone I know does their best to eat right, exercises, is involved in some kind of sport, etc.

In my family and many of the suburbs and rural areas it seems it's everywhere. I used to think I was one of the only fat people, now I realize it's rampant.
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Where I live weight is a problem. It has always been an agriculture based area with hard winters. That leads to people eating a lot of things to bulk up for winter and cheap cards. People are not a active as their grandparents were, but continue to eat the same way. After living in the SW for awhile I can see the difference here in my home state. Especially the kids that only do screen time of some sort.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I'd say probably a mix. I see sorta half and half in my area. You're either looking a normal weight or leaning toward really heavy. I'm not really sure why. But, I do look around on my campus at work and see way more people as overweight and fewer normal and some of us who are getting into exercise.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I live in a part of Kentucky where the majority of people are overweight or obese and they look at someone who is trying to improve their health as negative. They think we are trying to be something we are not. I am at the high end of my "normal"view weight range, and get comments all the time about how I am too thin, I must be starving myself. I beg to differ, the rolls of flab on my stomach and hips tell me that I am not too thin.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I live in Austin, Texas which is consistently ranked in the 10 fittest cities in the US. I am pretty active (as is most of the city) and the closer to downtown, the fitter the people. The farther away from the downtown area, the less fit people tend to be (as I think is the case in most places, less public transportation further from downtown leads to more driving and a slightly less active lifestyle). I spend a lot of time on campus (going to school) and being obese will definitely stand out.

http://americanfitnessindex.org/docs/reports/2012_afi_report_final.pdf
    http://www.shape.com/lifestyle/fit-getaways/top-10-fittest-cities

Of course, even in the fittest cities here only 40 something % of people are actually a healthy weight:
    http://www.mensfitness.com/training/lose-weight/the-fittest-and-fattest-cities-in-america?page=2

Edit to add: Of course the wealthier suburbs tend to be more fit than the poorer suburbs regardless of public transportation in the area.
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I live in a pretty rural area and I have for the past few years, and it's mostly skinny people around here, and there are only a few obese people.
    The nearest city, obesity is pretty normal. There was one lady who couldn't get through one of the doors in McDonalds, so they had to open both of them for her. No-one made a comment or said anything negative.
  • Jane_1705
    Jane_1705 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I hardly see any obesity where I work in London or where I live. I have never been obese personally just overweight.
  • Countryslove
    Options
    It is absolutely normal around where I live!!!
    I can see why though when you watch people drive around a parking lot for 20 minutes just to get one parking spot closer to the door.
    It is really sad.
  • jacque1129
    jacque1129 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i'd say 45% are average (possibly "overweight" according to bmi scale but still look "healthy/normal"), 55% obese<. from the people i know that would be about the correct statistic and then what i see when people come into my work. i guess you can't expect the slimmest people when our slogan is "a drinking city with a football problem".
  • MM_1982
    MM_1982 Posts: 374
    Options
    South Florida is a mixed bag. If you are near the beach or in a ritzy area, most people are in great shape. If you're a suburban ghetto , you're surrounded by obesity.
  • bellynbeard
    Options
    Living in South Carolina where macaroni & cheese is a vegetable, sweet tea is served at breakfast, and WalMart is a religion.
    So yes rampant obesity is the "norm"..
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Seattle, Wash.
    Obesity Rate: 22.8%
    Exercise Rate: 81.9%
  • chefmomster2
    chefmomster2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I live in Mississippi which has been named Fattest State for the past 6 years straight! About 35% of people here obese. Contrast that with the Healthiest State of Colorado which has 20.7%.

I found these facts here:

http://www.travelerstoday.com/articles/2724/20120816/fattest-state-in-america-2012-how-obese-is-your-state-fattest-statelist-skinniest-state-list-obesity-health-nutrition-statistics-f-as-in-fat-jeff-levi-united-states-mississippi-colorado.htm

Take the time to read it, but be prepared! America, particularly the American South is in trouble.

"The report revealed how much the rate of obesity has grown over the past two decades. Twenty years ago, not one state had an obesity rate over 15 percent. Now more than two out of three states, 38 altogether, have an obesity percentage above 25."

IMHO, the prevalence of obesity desensitizes us. It makes "fat" more acceptable. (Except in those quiet moments when we realize this is just another lie we tell ourselves.) In an uncomfortable way, perhaps our obese friends, neighbors and family make it easier to delude ourselves that we're just a little pudgy/plump/heavy/etc and to delay the truth longer, accumulating even more pounds before we look honestly at our situation.

Is obesity "normal"? NOT ANY MORE! At least not for me. Where I live is inside this far too bulky body it's a new day and change is a-comin' to this neighborhood!
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I live in Mississippi which has been named Fattest State for the past 6 years straight! About 35% of people here obese. Contrast that with the Healthiest State of Colorado which has 20.7%.
    Louisiana is right behind you at 33.4%. I live in SE Louisiana and I bet the percentage is higher than the state average. In Baton Rouge we supposedly have the most restaurants per capita in the US.
  • julieanddavid
    Options
    I'm living in a country where obesity is abnormal, but so is health. Women, in particular, are thin here, but it's thanks to smoking and not eating. Eating healthy and/or exercising just aren't part of the culture at all.
  • dogetta
    dogetta Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Obese: everybody just sits and eats! I am one of 2-3 who bring lunch or cook our food most eat out every day for all meals. When I go to the gym most are there to sit down and text the whole time they are in the gym! They say I am obsessed with fitness and I say they are lazy!
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not normal here in Vancouver, Canada. Active Outdoor living is a way of life!

Yep! Even when it's pissing rain :smile: