What is the WORST food and nutrition advice....

Options

Replies

• anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I think the coffee enema one took the biscuit.

Whilst I think the clean eating is fine if you can handle the restrictions it places on you, I find the paleo philosophy ridiculous having studied history and archeaology at uni. It's just a marketing gimmick and it irritates me when people spout it as historical/scientific fact.

Coffee enema!!!! That is a new one on me. LOL. I wonder what the theory is behind that.

I have heard of a wholistic regimen for cancer treatment that includes coffee enemas. They are supposed to help boost liver function so the liver can deal better with eliminatging toxins and cancer cells.It is only one part of the program though.

I'm glad to hear someone who has studied histor and acheology can debunk the paleo diet.

We got it here on MFP: the only answer to permanent weight loss. Eat sensibly and be more active. Dont' need a book for that.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Don't eat any sugar. In fruits, veggies or anything. Cut it all out. Eat as much fat as you want but avoid carbs. Sugar and carbs are the devil and you won't be able to lose weigh eating them.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    "Eat breakfast."

I'm happy with my one meal a day.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    "Eat breakfast."

^
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    "Too much protein will make your kidneys fail...."
    "Dairy causes diabetes...."
    "They fatten pigs and cows on corn, why would we eat it?"
  • YAYJules
    YAYJules Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I heard a disturbing radio commercial once for a cat farm in my state. They were promoting ingesting cats for their lean meat qualities. Eww eww eww eww. I keep cats as family members, not dinner.

....not THE one I was talking about, but if you don't believe me, places like this do exist... http://www.kittybeef.com/faq.php
  • cairee
    cairee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    you can have one soda a day, so long as its a diet soda

um, actually I will stick with water and the occasional fruit juice not from concentrate.
  • lolly2721
    lolly2721 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    "Try HCG, I lost lots of weight." That person did lose a lot of weight and then promptly gained it back and more. I am fine eating my high protein, high fiber foods while working out an watching you eat 1/2 cup of cottage cheese and 1/4 of a tomato because you can only have 500 calories a day.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is too low.

Breakfast is essential.

The body easily goes into starvation mode if you eat low-cal or do a short-term fast.

Slow and steady is the only way to lose weight.

If you're not losing weight, you should eat more.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is adequate.

it's not.

pretty much ever.

unless under direct supervision of a physician.

or if you're 4 feet tall.
  • beets_yum
    Options
    Don't eat any sugar. In fruits, veggies or anything. Cut it all out. Eat as much fat as you want but avoid carbs. Sugar and carbs are the devil and you won't be able to lose weigh eating them.

Agree that some carbs (from veggies and some fruit) are necessary for health. But how is avoiding sugar a diet myth? It's a pretty good idea for everyone. Can you lose weight without cutting out sugar? Of course! But the less sugar you eat the better your health.

Worst diet advice: fat makes you fat.
  • tlaurenfitness
    Options
    Never eat peanut butter. :(
    I can have it in moderation, thank you very much.
  • ChocoMello
    ChocoMello Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Try pill xyz..i mean it makes you pop pure fat at the most unfitting time but it has to work becourse it costs so much...
  • Viveyp21
    Viveyp21 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    "Try HCG, I lost lots of weight." That person did lose a lot of weight and then promptly gained it back and more. I am fine eating my high protein, high fiber foods while working out an watching you eat 1/2 cup of cottage cheese and 1/4 of a tomato because you can only have 500 calories a day.

omg i tried that with a co-worker! It was terrible!
  • WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    I think the WORST diet and Nutrition advice is assuming that since something works for you that it will work for everyone. The realization is that everyone's body is different. I have to cut simple carbs and sugar in order to loose weight, because my body doesn't process carbs correctly. But other's might do just fine with carbs some people have to cut dairy to loose weight our body's process things differently and the worst diet advice are theo nes that assume because they are successful on a diet you will be too.
  • Pumpkinguy13
    Pumpkinguy13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Eat six meals a day. Possibly the most destructive advice the diet industry could possibly give to busy individuals.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    "Eat breakfast."

^

^ this
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    eat six small meals a day to stroke your metabolic fire = BS

or - if you do not eat six small meals a day you will go into starvation mode = this sounds like nails scraping across black board...shivering...
  • LeenBess
    Options
    Fruits are free at weight watchers....eat as many as you would like.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Wheat, dairy and legumes are foods NO ONE should eat