Low carb dieters.. WHAT do you eat?!

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Your body needs carbs for fuel with heavy exercise, that doesn't require knowledge of what a low diet carb consists of that's just fact.

Not according to top scientific peer reviewed research on nutritional science. The human body requires very few carbs at all. But hey, you want to follow mainstream mythology, whatever.

To name these "top scientific peer reviewed research" studies?...

Your body doesn't NEED carbs, correct. But prefers them as a source of fuel for intense training, such as weight lifting, HIIT, etc.

Your body prefers them because they convert to fat easier. Your physiology wants to store fat,however, this biology is exactly what we are trying to work against to lose weight.

Also, I am not citing any scientific sources for you. Google it yourself and maybe you will read them. I suggest JSTORE if you have a student account. Otherwise, google scholar is a great source for scholarly articles.

LOL you gotta love it when someone says "according to all the peer reviewed literature...' and then can't even cite said peer reviewed literature. If you were writing a research paper you of just received an F -
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Let's be honest here. The only reason people do low carb is because they think that's the "only way to lose weight." I used to do that and I can't imagine ever going back to that. People that have the mentality "oh carbs cause an insulin response. If I remove them, it's impossible to store fat." Your body turns protein into glucose.
    Thanks for sharing your opinion.
  • ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    www.google.com

lots of facts about how carbs are needed for heavy workouts to help your body repair and refuel. Just because it works for you now doesn't mean it's great for everyone else.

Personally, if I workout heavily and don't replace carbs, I get really weak and lethargic. My hair also falls out, my skin gets bad, I get constipated, and have trouble sleeping if I reduce carbs too low. I've tested it a few times and like clock work, all those bad symptoms come back after a few days of very low carbing.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    www.google.com

lots of facts about how carbs are needed for heavy workouts to help your body repair and refuel. Just because it works for you now doesn't mean it's great for everyone else.

Personally, if I workout heavily and don't replace carbs, I get really weak and lethargic. My hair also falls out, my skin gets bad, I get constipated, and have trouble sleeping if I reduce carbs too low. I've tested it a few times and like clock work, all those bad symptoms come back after a few days of very low carbing.

Yes, that's what happens to someone who isn't keto adapted....or used to burning fat rather than sugar, in other words.

It takes some time for your body to adjust, and it's not usually recommended that one exercises heavily during the adjustment period.

Peter Attia, M.D. explains it here: http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/my-pet-peeve
  • ashfuse
    Options
    www.google.com

Yes, that's what happens to someone who isn't keto adapted....or used to burning fat rather than sugar, in other words.

It takes some time for your body to adjust, and it's not usually recommended that one exercises heavily during the adjustment period.

Peter Attia, M.D. explains it here: http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/my-pet-peeve

I should have added that I did very low carb dieting for over a year. It wasn't until I started researching my symptoms that I realized it was my lack of carbs. Once eating carbs my symptoms disappeared. I think a year is more than enough time for the body to adjust. Whatever Peter Attia, M.D. has to say is irrelevant to me b/c I did it, it didn't work for me. Good luck to those it "works" for. Good luck when you all do decide to start eating carbs again.

I don't put a lot of stock into what doctors have to say about nutrition. If they knew so much, there would be no need for diet pills or weight loss surgeries. They go to school to learn how to fix sick people, not help them lose weight.
  • savbentley
    Options
    I also did low carb for a long time, by the way. I did Atkins. I was lethargic, and ravenously hungry. Carbs fill you and give your body fuel.

And maybe I'm stupid, but yeah. I get veg is low carb. I don't get how eating primarily vegetables gets you to 15,16,1700 calories.

Just for arguments sake (before anyone gets all flustered and nutrition police on me THIS IS JUST FOR ARGUMENTS SAKE SO CALM DOWN IN ADVANCE)

1236 calories worth of zucchini? 55 cups. 247 carbs.

They add up, and you'd have to eat like.. mass quantities. Even if half your cals came from vegetables alone. That's still fairly high carb, for a low carb dieter, no?
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    "That's just fact".

As someone who has eaten low-carb for a year, lost 25kg (60-ish pounds), works out just fine, I'd like to know where you get your "facts" from, cos clearly my body wasn't aware.

What I eat - meat, eggs, cheese, green/ leafy veges, and limited amounts of berries. I eat less fat and more veg than my "normal diet" partner.

Out of curiosity...when you get to your goal weight, are you going to keep eating the same things you do now or change back?
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    To get the right amount of calories on low carb diets, your supposed to eat a lot of protein and high fat.. I try to keep my carbs below 100 daily, and i only get them from fruits veggies or natural things.. Except for today and yesterday, lol.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer #1: I think ridiculously low carb diets with regular exercise are generally stupid...
    ... Like I said.. I'm just curious.

If you don't know anything about it, how do you manage to be so opinionated?

A quick google search will give you a list of low carb foods. You could even research keto diets and find out about how intelligent people following low carb diets are managing their macros. It isn't difficult and it certainly isn't stupid.

I should have been more specific, I think it's stupid with strenuous regular exercise. Your body needs carbs for fuel with heavy exercise, that doesn't require knowledge of what a low diet carb consists of that's just fact.

I think statements that begin with "I think it's stupid" are stupid.

I exercise heavily (70-90 mins 5 days/week, mostly spent lifting), and regularly eat a very limited amount of carbohydrates. My training hasn't suffered, my progress hasn't suffered, and my body sure as he** hasn't suffered. But that's just me.

Oh and I eat between 1800-2200 calories/day.. and usually somewhere between 60 and 100g carbs. Lean protein, green veg, fats from sources like EVOO, nuts (which have carbs too), avocado, hummus, etc... It is not NECESSARY that I do so, but I do it because it works for me. I have a problem controlling carbs when I delve into them, so I avoid them for the time being. I still eat things like sweet potatoes and squash though.

ETA: The human body is an amazingly adaptive thing- while carbs provide glucose most readily/easily for use, that doesn't mean that they are strictly necessary in moderate-high amounts for function or performance. Our bodies are capable of using glycogen stores formed from excess glucose in the bloodstream as well as create new glucose from other endogenous materials (gluconeogenesis from fatty acids and glucogenic amino acids).
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    For me I did high fat, moderate protein and low carb. The most of my calories came from fat. I still ate loads of veg, absolutely heaps of the stuff (like you say if you eat low carb foods you can eat plenty) but no where near half of my calories came from veggies. Something like 75% of my calories were from fat (from meats / cheese / nuts / olive oil etc).

I just look at low carb as a way of eating.... but like some people are vegetarian. There are healthy ways to do it and non healthy ways, it will suit some people and not others.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I feel that low carb diets have their place, but as a permanent 'life change', not so much.

For example, I used one for the first five months of my lifting and 'fitness' switch (less than 40g per day). I did this because I wanted to run a strong caloric deficit (900+) without sacrificing my protein needs. Contrary to popular belief, untrained people are actually less efficient with their protein than trained athletes. Basically, they need more to achieve the same effect.

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2129150/
    "It has been suggested that strength training athletes with greater experience become more efficient at protein utilization [27]. This contention was supported by Lemon et al. [27] who found that novice bodybuilders in the early stages of training were in negative nitrogen balance (-3.4 grams of N) when consuming 1.35 g·kg-1·day-1 and in positive nitrogen balance (+8.9 g) when consuming 2.62 grams of protein daily. Utilizing regression analysis and adding a safety buffer of 2 SD units, the protein needs to acquire zero nitrogen balance was calculated to be 1.6–1.7 g·kg-1·day-1."

Now that I've dropped 40+ pounds, I have switched back to what most would consider a 'sane' macro layout of 40/30/30 p/c/f.

I accomplished the low carb diet by eating nearly nothing by extremely lean meats (chicken/turkey breast, 99/1 ground turkey, tuna, etc.) and Quest bars. The latter of which does have a higher carb allotment, but almost all of it is fiber.

TL;DR- extremely low carb allows you to run a very strong deficit without sacrificing any protein intake, which has been found to be extremely important for untrained individuals getting started in training.
  • babycakeslove11
    Options
    As someone who is trying to do a low carb diet, I will tell you what has worked for people I know who do low carbs. Some people are "carb addicts". The biggest problem isn't the carbs themselves.... It's the fact that if I were to eat one piece of white bread, I don't feel "full" and can't stop eating the rest of the day. In order to detox and train your body to feel "full" and avoid overeating, people who are "carb addicts" generally do a 2-3 week detox process. I would look up the South Beach methodology because it gives reasoning behind this. For people who are needing to lose a LOT of weight (ex. probably about 50 pounds or more), they are probably looking for an entire lifestyle change. Eating strictly protein and veggies for 2-3 weeks and exercising is a great starting point, but it's not sustainable for a long period of time. The South Beach books do a great job of dividing foods into phases, so at phase 2, there are "legal carbs" that can be introduced into your diet. The goal is to try one food at a time and see if it "triggers" you. If you are just trying to lose 10 or 20 pounds, this type of system is not the most effective. Also, there is not a single answer that works for everyone otherwise we wouldn't have an obesity epidemic in this country. The most important thing is learning your own body and what works for you. There is a lot of research out there, but research is NOT always 100% accurate for 100% of people. Hence these are called "theories". I have seen low carb diets work for some people, but it doesn't work for others. Hope this answered your original question! :)
  • babycakeslove11
    Options
    I'm only doing 1200 calories a day plus exercising so it usually gets me up to about 1400-1500 calories a day. After taking into account breakfast lunch and dinner of protein and veggies as well as a snack during the day, there isn't any issue with reaching those calories. I guess I don't understand why this topic was posted in the first place though.... When I first clicked on this and posted, I thought there was an actual interest in the response. Unfortunately it seems that this is just a string of posts to bash other people's way of dieting/eating. For anyone that this hasn't worked for, I hope you have found something that does. For those of you that this has worked for, congrats and I am very glad that it has! For anyone who can't accept that what doesn't work for you is 100% wrong and there is no possible way that it could work for someone else, I sincerely hope and pray that you are not this bigoted and judgmental on other aspects of your life.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Try telling diabetics that eating low carb is stupid, and unsustainable. Ask them if they plan to eat that way the rest of their life. I'm sure they will answer yes, as long as they want to stay healthy.

Would you ask someone that is allergic to peanuts, if they plan to not ever eat peanut butter again? Is it stupid that they have cut a specific food out of their diet? Is that not sustainable for life?

What is stupid, is people coming in, uneducated, making blanket statements bashing other people's choices in what they put in their body. And to try to cover it by saying they are just 'curious', is so passive-aggressive. If you are indeed 'curious', then try using this tool called Google and look it up. Educate yourself about a topic before you start bashing something that is a way of life for many people, either by choice or by medical necessity.
  • Sorashi
    Options
    I don't consider my diet low carb, since I eat from 80 to 130 grams of carbs but I eat pretty much what I want, just trying to avoid grains or only eating a piece of it for breakfast.
  • ashfuse
    Options
    Try telling diabetics that eating low carb is stupid, and unsustainable. Ask them if they plan to eat that way the rest of their life. I'm sure they will answer yes, as long as they want to stay healthy.

Would you ask someone that is allergic to peanuts, if they plan to not ever eat peanut butter again? Is it stupid that they have cut a specific food out of their diet? Is that not sustainable for life?

What is stupid, is people coming in, uneducated, making blanket statements bashing other people's choices in what they put in their body. And to try to cover it by saying they are just 'curious', is so passive-aggressive. If you are indeed 'curious', then try using this tool called Google and look it up. Educate yourself about a topic before you start bashing something that is a way of life for many people, either by choice or by medical necessity.

she said when pertaining to medically necessary reasons, she understands. Calm down, lady.
  • Eandretta96
    Options
    The last part is not an opinion.
  • Eandretta96
    Options
    Seriously, it's all just preference but don't think you HAVE to do low carb to lose weight. That's coming from someone that was a low carb addict. If you feel low carb lets you control your cravings, go ahead. It's the same with IIFYM. You can eat chicken and brown rice all day, but it's not necessary. It doesn't make you all hardcore if you do that.
  • Eandretta96
    Options
    Oh and guess what, 30 grams of carbs from sweet potato and 30 grams of carbs from poptarts is the same thing in terms of effects to body composition. Can't wait to get so much hate for this.