Recording when you go over cal goals

Options

Replies

• obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I don't record the cheat meals I do every few weeks while cutting. I make a note about what it was, but don't bother logging it as I intend to go over and don't need to know all the details.
    Other than that, yes I do log everything. I often go over on the weekends and log every bite, as I look at my cals on a weekly basis.
  • Dani76babi
    Dani76babi Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, If I am really embarrassed about a particular food I ate, I will log it as "quick add calories" that way I am still accountable for the calories but no one has to know what it was. I know what it was though, and that's what matters. I have the choice to not tell others what it was. Although I have only hid a few foods this way... like a while back, I enjoyed some cookie dough (: (: soooo yummy, but I didn't want to share it with my friends that day, so it went in as quick add calories.

I don't want to make myself unaccountable for those calories, I mean I did eat it. But if I don't want others to know what it was, then that is also my choice. Plus, I don't always hit the button for the completed day, that way it doesn't publish on my friends' news feed. Its still there if they are looking for it, but its not like I'm putting it right on their news feeds to come look at my log for that day.
  • XXbrendaXX
    Options
    I record it all - the good, the bad, and the ugly!! I look at my food diary as a tool I learn from. It would only be cheating myself to not record everything. My food diary is public, and I think that also helps me stay on track. I don't want everyone to see me being a glutton!! :tongue:

If I was afraid to record something because I was worried what others would think....I think I would set my diary to private so I would be able to be honest in it, and use it as a learning tool. :smile:
  • beatricejasper
    Options
    I record everything. Even when I'm bothered by the total. Need to see what I am acutally eating so I can plan the next meal, day or week.
  • Leisarene
    Leisarene Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I record everything, even when I know I am not having a "good" day, This is my second attempt @ MFP the last time I only recorded my good days. I want to lose as much weight as I can by spring, so this time I log every day everything. I have been doing really bad
    the last couple of days, gained and was going to forget it and start over but accountability can go a long way, I won't beat myself up by straying but can look back at my pattern and know what I need to adjust.......if I am not true to myself how can I do that?
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I record every single thing, then work it into things later in the week to get my average back on track. Otherwise I am lying to myself, so what is the point?
  • IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I barely record every bite when I go over cals, it's one day... I don't feel the need to record every single bite on days where I consider it a free for all.. As long as I pick back up the next day then it's fine by me, I've done pretty well thus far with weight loss.... and I sure have had my fair share of "free for all" days!
  • socomary
    Options
    Yes. I record EVERYTHING, which is the point of counting calories, isn't it? I also use the iPhone and iPad apps, which have a feature so you can view the average calories you've eaten over the week (a week is Monday through Sunday). I try to keep my calories (including exercise) at a weekly average. Say, if my daily intake is calculated at 1350 per day, then the average calories per day by the end of the week should read "1350". For example, on Monday, my intake is 1350, on Tuesday, my intake is 1500, on Wednesday, my intake is 1200: 1350 + 1500 + 1200 = 4050/3 = 1350. So if I have one "overage" day, I usually try to make it up in the following days with adjusting down a little and upping the exercise, and I don't feel bad about that one day when I go over. Most weeks I'm successful.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I record everything ...... the good, the bad, and the very, very ugly :laugh:

NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SURRENDER !
  • scjl132
    scjl132 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I record it all. For me it is an honest assessment of my day. Today was a cheat day with no exercise and even though I am a little uncomfortable because I am full I needed to know where I was at calorie wise. I can convince myself that "it wasn't that much". Overtime that adds up to 10 pounds and I tell myself, "It's only 10 pounds." Added onto 10, onto 10.....you get the picture.
  • teaspoon43
    teaspoon43 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I record EVERYTHING I eat - if I'm too embarrassed to log it, I'm too embarrassed to eat it. I hold myself accountable and so do my MFP friends - and I return the favor. Not realizing what I was putting into my body is what got me here and I refuse to go back. It also helps me see why I did and didn't lose weight
  • trialstyle
    trialstyle Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I record everything. If you don't there's a good chance your not taking this seriously, and your more likely to fail. The good part is your here asking, and we are here for support!
    Keep it up and Keep your eyes on the prize!
  • janetlynn31
    janetlynn31 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I always record everything - sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised that it's not as bad as I thought. One day isn't going to ruin everything - you have to look at the big picture.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I record everything too. Two reasons:
    1) It gives me an accurate record, so I can see "well, I was over that day, but on average last week, I had a deficit of 500 cal/day, so I should still be losing nearly 0.5kg/week." Or "I'm not losing weight when I've been working so hard? Well look at what that day did to my weekly average - that explains it!"

2) Usually, I find that the day isn't as bad as I think, which is good motivation. On Saturday, I was feeling very down in the dumps and gave myself a day off my diet. I had bacon and eggs for breakfast, lamb kofta and rice paper rolls for lunch, hot chocolate and cake for afternoon tea. I added it all up at the end of the day... and found it wasn't half as bad as I thought. By having a light dinner (and counting my exercise calories), I was able to stay within maintenance calories for the day, even though I didn't hit my weight loss calorie goal. It meant I wasn't demotivated: I hadn't hit my goal, but because I logged every bite, I hadn't lost my discipline.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Yes. Lying about it isn't going to change how much I ate. Might as well know so I can try to make up for it later!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I do the math in my head (roughly) and it's not getting eaten unless I'm okay with it. I log mostly everything on MFP but I darn well log absolutely everything in my head cause I have to live with the consequences of those decisions. My MFP goal has some wiggle room anyway and so I don't sweat the small stuff (give or take a couple hundred kcals). I'm mostly compliant with my MFP logging but I'm also trying to not let it become a crutch because I really don't want to log every single bite I eat for the rest of my life. MFP is a tool for me to learn about roughly the calories I need to be shooting for, portion control, general caloric content of food, getting a grip on macros and making healthier choices and connecting with people that share the same goals. I'm hoping to eventually cut the umbilical cord and fly on my own but we'll see how that pans out. I mean I've logged half bags of chips I've devoured, so ... yea. I've no issues being honest with myself and facing the ugly. :laugh:
  • dena789
    dena789 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I record everything, good and bad days, if I dont record the bad days I am only lying to myself:bigsmile:

^^^ This! I usually do record EVERYTHING. The moment I don't, is the moment I will start returning to my previous ways... And I DO NOT want to go there again.

Right!! It would become a slippery slope right back to where I was if I didn't record it all!
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I do, even if I've closed my diary for that day and then snack I'll add to it and recalculate again. I've had days where I've clocked up like 3500cals lol
  • vpsorrels
    vpsorrels Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I try to be honest about every BLT (bite, lick, taste); sometimes I find it challenging especially when I eat a meal out and cannot find it on the foods list. I have to try to guesstimate at it.
  • mrsgeneric
    mrsgeneric Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If it goes im my mouth it goes in my log!!!
    I agree ure only lying to yourself if you dont log it