WOMEN and cooking.

Options

Replies

• styledsky
    styledsky Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm the cook in our household. I like to think I have some skill with a skillet. I haven't killed anyone yet, I take this as encouragement :) My wife - until recently - could ruin cereal.
  • elfo
    elfo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I LOVE to cook and will pretty much do it for anyone that wants to eat it- one day I want to open a vegan restaurant!

www.me-on-dukan.blogspot.com
  • turtlefitnessdad
    turtlefitnessdad Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    :
    I LOVE to cook and will pretty much do it for anyone that wants to eat it- one day I want to open a vegan restaurant!

Will you make me a pizza then? I kinda want one right now. Thanks. :bigsmile:
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I'm single right now, but when I am with a man I do all the cooking and cleaning. I enjoy catering to and caring for them. Old fashioned I know, but it is what it is and how I was raised.
    i want to know the 2013 mentality, do women still do this for their men?

I love to clean but not so much to cook, i will do it
    my take is if i have to work a full time job like a man we split the duties 50/50
    if i dont work and he does all the working I would do all the house duties
    I dont feel as a woman I shuold have to work a full time job and come home to another full time job of house keeping
    this idea that woman run the household was born from days when the economy allowed families to have the men work and be able to support his family on one income
    today you need two incomes for most families

That being said in 2013 if a man could support me and the kids, then yes he would be treated like a king and I would do the house and cooking. If we both had to work I would think we would mutually and respectably split the chore work. I mean we are a team right???
    hmm i guess so , u work off a give and take relationship which is probably what most relationships lack
  • ChrissieP80
    ChrissieP80 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have cooked 100% of dinners for myself and my now husband over 15 years and I'm 32 years old. I also pack his breakfast and lunch on days that he works probably 50% of the time. It used to be higher but we have a preschooler now. If I don't pack it, he either forgets to eat or buys his food from the nearest fast food joint. His mum always hated to cook so he is not interested in food except as a source of sustenance (he once told me that if there was an injection that you could have so you would never have to eat again, he would have it, to 'save time'). My family love food and I get my love of food from them. I would never have that hypothetical injection in 100 years!

Edit: I worked full time for 11 of those 15 years and now I work 3 days a week.
  • Chadomaniac
    Options

Do that! , i dont promote being vegan but im sure it will make a killing .
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Do you cook for your man? whats your views on it? im not against women, honestly couldnt live without them but ill face the facts and admit im a SHOCKING cook and can barely stomach my own food . Not like i have a Choice ;)
    I can't stomach your food either :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home wife so I do almost all of the cooking. I enjoy it and to me it's a form of affection to feed people so it works. My husband is an excellent cook as well though. He's Italian and his meatballs are to die for. :laugh:
  • Chadomaniac
    Options
    I have cooked 100% of dinners for myself and my now husband over 15 years and I'm 32 years old. I also pack his breakfast and lunch on days that he works probably 50% of the time. It used to be higher but we have a preschooler now. If I don't pack it, he either forgets to eat or buys his food from the nearest fast food joint. His mum always hated to cook so he is not interested in food except as a source of sustenance (he once told me that if there was an injection that you could have so you would never have to eat again, he would have it, to 'save time'). My family love food and I get my love of food from them. I would never have that hypothetical injection in 100 years!

Edit: I worked full time for 11 of those 15 years and now I work 3 days a week.
    wow amazing ... with the amount i need to eat id opt for the injection ;)
  • Showmm
    Showmm Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I do most of the cooking. Partly because I'm home and can do it at a more reasonable (ie earlier) time than my husband, but also because I hate doing the washing up. In our house, if you cook, you don't wash up, which is why I do the cooking.
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I would have no problem cooking for a man in my life..now if he expected that every day and that dinner be on the table at the same time every night..WELL then grow up and realize that we are in 2013 where I have a job that I work hard at every day and when I get home (which is not always the same time).

I think couples can share in the preparation of the meal. But on special nights it would be something I would want to do to make a man feel cared for sure. I do believe and enjoy traditional rolls but we have to be realistic..the reality is I don't have time for that every night. Some times it will be take out or left overs lol.
  • Chadomaniac
    Options
    I'm a stay at home wife so I do almost all of the cooking. I enjoy it and to me it's a form of affection to feed people so it works. My husband is an excellent cook as well though. He's Italian and his meatballs are to die for. :laugh:
    Im glad u enjoy your husbands italian meat balls! always a good thing!
  • coffee_freak1975
    Options
    I'm a married (for 10 years) mom of 2..I do the cooking for the kids and I..only because..he usually has a shake for dinner...or if he's off the for day..he will cook for everyone..he's Korean so he treats us to a homemade Korean meal. But most of the week..I do all the cooking....
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I don't really like it when a women cooking and being a homemaker is reffered to as traditional. It makes it sound old fashioned. I am not saying that anyone on here said anything like this but it just makes me think of a feminist type perspective. It just bugs me.
    There is nothing wrong with a women that decides to take the reins of the most important job there is and ever could be, being a mom. I get so annoyed when women act like a housewife is something to frown at. The honest truth is that a housewife in most cases deserves to be paid better then just about any other job.

But it is 'traditional' - nothing to do with being old-fashioned or feminist, just that there is a very long history of women being regarded as the domestic half of a marriage/partnership, while the male partner works outside the home.

Of course there's nothing wrong with choosing to be a stay-at-home mother/homemaker. There is, however, something wrong, when someone assumes that that is what a woman should do, simply because she is female, or that a woman who has a professional life and consequently contributes financially to the shared lifestyle of a couple should also be fully responsible for all the domestic activities and chores, just because that has traditionally been the woman's role in the Western world of the last few centuries.
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    In Sweden we've come far in equality so it's not more common anymore that the woman does the cooking or any other house chore.
    :bigsmile:
    I'm moving to Sweden! :tongue:
  • Chadomaniac
    Options
    i also dont like it being called "traditional" its OLD SCHOOL LOVE
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Do you cook for your man? whats your views on it? im not against women, honestly couldnt live without them but ill face the facts and admit im a SHOCKING cook and can barely stomach my own food . Not like i have a Choice ;)

You do have a choice.
    Be a man and learn how to cook!
    Seriously, its fun, its not rocket science and your wife/girlfriend/partner will love you for it.
  • Chadomaniac
    Options
    be a man and learn how to cook? o_o thats a 1st .
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    My husband can cook chicken surprise and 57 variations of same :laugh: