Gluten Free Girls (and Guys!)

Options

Replies

• nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    welcome Cardiors and cutMD! I try not to cheat on purpose because it makes me feel like garbage about 1 hour afterwards. I do occasionally have beer. I LOVE beer!:love: I have had GF beer, it's ok, but not the same yet as the other stuff.
  • CardioRS
    CardioRS Posts: 88
    Options
    cutmd - I just CAN'T cheat. It is a horrible side effect that I just can't stand and I can feel it within 1 hour. When I 1st got started, I tried some "pizza crust" (home made even) and it was terrible. If I feel a little left out, I found my simple cure - Rice Chips "seeweed & sesame" do it for me. When I am truly needing something a little more papering, I have a homemade cappuccino brownie.

I am the only one who has this issue in my home (out of 6 of us). The fam is still adjusting to all the changes, but has become more and more aware of what mom just CAN'T have. I have always known about the lactose intolerance, but my favorite cheeses are on the OK list for GF foods: parmesan and aged sharp cheddar.

I treat myself to a beer every now and again. I like Redbridge. For a good store bought cookie = Pamela's (chocolate, chocolate chip)
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Cardio- I haven't tried red Bridge yet. I tried the New Grist. My problem is that I really like a hop hit and the New Grist doesn't have that at all.
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    Welcome Cardio and cutmd!

I am fairly new to this, so I admit to cheating a couple times. I have learned though, that its not worth it. I'm worried about Memorial weekend. We are going Up North the a friends property and we always say, "What happens Up North stays Up North" lol But I don't want to be sick and miss out on a minute. Last time I was suffering awful migraines. Now I know it was the dairy, mostly cheese, and the beer. Very happy to hear about gluten frre beer! You guys all just made me one very happy lady!

Seriously, so glad I found this group! I have had a real hard time just being alone in this. Even my doctor doesn't get it and that is frustrating. He NEVER could have told me about a beer that I could drink! :laugh: :wink: We usually start as soon as we park the cars. We crack open the first beer while unpacking and the kids run off to find toads and snakes. And it continues till the night before we leave :drinker: Plus all the bbq and picnic foods. S'mores, Oh! the S'mores!:tongue: This weekend will be perfect after all!:laugh: Thanks:drinker:
  • CardioRS
    Options
    WannabeaCullen - I know what you mean about s'mores! Yum! Seems I need 1 a year, but still need 1 regardless! I just came across a recipe for graham crackers. I was so excited to have a s'more and make a homemade pie crust that I could eat (for my favorite lo-cal summer frozen pie). Thought you might enjoy the recipe (you could freeze extra crackers too). Sorry I didn't notate which website it was from

2.5 ounces sorghum flour (that's about 1/2 cup, plus 2 tablespoons)
    2.5 ounces brown rice flour, ground super fine, if possible (1/3 cup, plus 1 T)
    2.5 ounces tapioca flour (1 tablespoon shy of 1/3 cup
    2.5 ounces sweet rice flour (1/3 cup, plus 2 tablespoons)
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
    1/4 teaspoon guar gum
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3.5 ounces unsalted butter, just out of the refrigerator (7 tablespoons)
    3 ounces mild-flavored honey (1/4 cup)
    3 to 6 tablespoons cold water
    cinnamon sugar (optional)

Combining the dry ingredients. Measure out the sorghum, brown rice, tapioca, and sweet rice flours. Put into a food processor and whirl them up. Add the cinnamon, baking powder, xanthan and guar gums, and salt. Mix until everything is well combined.

Cutting in the butter. Cut the butter into small pieces (about 1/2 tablespoon size). Add to the flours in the food processor. Pulse until the butter is incorporated into the flours. The mixture should have a coarse, sandy texture, like cornmeal.

Finishing the dough. Stir together the honey and 3 tablespoons of the water. With the food processor running, pour in the honeyed water. Let the food processor run for a few minutes, allowing the dough to form a ball. The final dough should be soft and pliable, even a bit wet. If it still has not come together entirely after a few minutes of processing, add the remaining cold water, a tablespoon at a time.

Refrigerating the dough. Put the dough in a suitable container (or wrap with plastic wrap) and put it in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. This will be just enough time to let you clean up the mess, put away the flours. Oh, and to...

Preheating the oven. Preheat the oven to 325°. Line a sheet tray with parchment paper. Have another piece of parchment paper, same size, ready as well.

Rolling out the graham crackers. Cut the ball of dough in half. Return the other half to the refrigerator. Put the ball of dough onto the parchment-lined sheet tray. Cover it with the other piece of parchment paper.

Carefully, roll out the dough to a rectangle about 1/2 the length of the sheet tray, or until the dough is about 1/4-inch thick. Cut the dough into 8 pieces. (You'll have ragged round pieces on the edges. Leave them on. They'll make great scraps for graham cracker crusts.) If you want the final crackers dusted with cinnamon sugar, do that here. Refrigerate the dough for 15 minutes.

Decorating and baking. Pull the sheet tray from the refrigerator. Using the tines of a fork, prick holes into the crackers in a regular pattern that looks good to you.

Bake the graham crackers until they are golden-warm brown and starting to be hard, about 15 to 20 minutes. (Turning the tray halfway through baking will help them to not bake too brown.) Allow them to cool on the sheet tray until they are cool to the touch and hardened even more, about 30 minutes.

Repeat with the second half of the dough ball.

Eat. Dunk in milk. Make s'mores. Enjoy.

Makes about 16 graham crackers (or more if you cut them in half, as we did for Little Bean's small hands)

Also as far as the doctor thing goes - make sure he is on board or find a new one. Mine didn't know much about gluten issues, but has become well educated and is ALWAYS supportive!
  • nicolee516
    Options
    thanks cardio for the recipe! I will have to make them so we can have a realy smore's night too!
  • JoyElizabeth
    JoyElizabeth Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi - so glad I found this thread! It's so great to find people that are not only interested in losing weight, but also understand the importance of the quality and type of foods that go into our bodies and the effects it has on us! I'm still learning about this, but I've actively been on MFP for over 2 weeks now and things are starting to fall into place a lot easier than it has done in the past.

Like many of you, I have intolerances though I haven't been officially diagnosed - my doctor (a fantastic woman who believes in trying natural and alternative approaches before going allopathic) has noticed that I am really in tune with what my body is doing and a huge part of me has been flippantly rebelling because "being mindful" all seems so melodramatic.

But the only person that really feels the effects is me, and so I'm coming to the conclusion finally that ignoring this a pretty dumb thing to keep on doing to myself. I didn't really want to have to make the connection between what I was eating and how it was affecting me - but I'm at the point where I'm sick of being affected and have to find a better way of co-existing with food so that I don't keep getting the raw end of the pointy stick.

The hard part was that it would take 6 weeks or so for it to really make such a difference that I had to do something about it - it was easy to live in my state of denial because there were no immediate and apparent side-affects like some of you guys get within an hour (with the exception of meat and eggs - projectile is disgusting).

I don't know quite how to put it, but the best I can do to describe my journey is that my body has basically been saying "eat clean & live clean". It's been quite an arduous and frustrating journey, but in 1998 I had the biggest "live clean experience" that changed everything about the way I was living, and from there it's been a discovery process without me even knowing what I was supposed to be discovering! Things were just brought to my attention that I was doing it wrong - and this is what I have been rebelling against - that I was getting it wrong. The difficulty was that I didn't know how to get it right and in reality, I didn't want to "have" to get it right - that was too much like hard work - and in truth, I didn't *want* to think about it.

For a few years I was introduced to healthier eating and while all of them sounded good in theory and had some really valid points, after trying it for a while, it all became too hard and unmanageable - contradiction between the "experts" being the hardest.

I already disliked seafood, but in June 2002 my body rejected red meat. Now don't get me wrong, in the few years prior I even *tried* to be vegetarian, but failed because every time I smelled chicken or bacon or lamb cooking, I was a slobbering mess and gobbled it all down. So 2002 was a real shock to me. Then in March 2003 my body rejected chicken - I couldn't believe it. And so if you don't eat seafood, red meat or chicken, then all that is left is .... well, nothing. So here I was, a fully fledged vegetarian! And the most surprised by it was me!

Over the past 6 years though, I have been working with my doctor to correct my hormones, get my liver working properly, clear myself of the mind-muddying and energy zapping effects of candida, and trying to shrink my ovarian cysts so as to avoid a total hysterectomy - she told me to avoid dairy, gluten, chemicals and sugar - and try as I might, I've never had the will power to do this - it was all too hard.

But since I started with MFP, things have begun falling into place and finally I'm able to live how I'm supposed to live - my doctor would be proud of me.

So, here's a run down of what I can and can't eat.

I don't eat seafood or meat of any description - if it's had a face, I can't eat it - even the thought of eating it is disgusting.

I am fine with eggs occasionally - so long as it's cooked both sides and all the way through, and providing no-one makes chicken noises, otherwise my body rejects it - but it's the easiest form of protein for me that tastes half decent and so I still try at least once a week to get some eggs in there, but it's tough and I have to force myself.

I am a singer, and I find that dairy and gluten stuff up my sinuses and throat, stopping me from reaching my 3 1/2 octaves, plus I tend to bloat with gluten as well, and that's no fun.

Sugar tends to make my mind buzz about like a blue-assed fly! The jury is still out if natural sugar in fruit is too much - I don't want it to be, but it's certainly too much for the MFP sugar goals!

Does anyone know anything about xylitol? It sounds too good to be true - it tastes great, but whether the sweet comes from cane sugar or birch tree or corn, does it really make a difference in how good it is for you?

Anyway, caffeine in all it's forms does the same thing as sugar but it keeps me awake until the wee hours of the morning as well, and then I'm just a mute zombie for the rest of the day following - Good bye Tim Tams and Cappucinos. (If you take out the dairy, sugar and caffeine from a cup of coffee, all you are left with is ....Hot Water! But don't worry, Dr Deepak tells me that Hot Water is the best thing to flush ama - which are toxins, and so I'm all for that!)

Thankfully I can tolerate rice, soy and corn, but once I settle a little more with this, I plan to cut out some of the soy - Sanitarium soy Hot Dogs and Rashers have been my saving grace for protein at the moment, although they do compromise some of my other sensitivities to a small degree and is why I want to cut them out - I just need to get more info on how to cope with them not being there and weigh up the pros and cons of each.

But fortunately I love veges - I'm not really into cooking and I don't do left-overs very well at all (Deepak Chopra reckons there's no prana left in left-overs and so that's the only thing I can come up with as to why I don't particularly like left-overs and really have to force myself to eat them). But http://wwwJoyfulBelly.com has certainly helped with great veg ideas that are all natural and tasty and can fit in with anyone's sensitivities - and my family love it when I motivate myself to cook from this site.

So my challenge is to keep it healthy, without having to do too much cooking, keeping it convenient, and without having to have a bachelors degree in nutrition to stay alive and upright.

The past 2 weeks has been easier for me thanks to the great support of MFP, and I'm happy with my progress so far - I've a long way to go, but at least I'm on the right track - can't wait to lose the weight I'm supposed to have off and then go back to the doctor to get the all clear. And I'm sooooo glad that I have found this thread!

Well, that's me "unplugged" - it's been a long update, but I hope to know more of all of you on this site as time progresses. If anyone has any comments and suggestions that might help, then please let me know and I'll take it under advisement.

Wishing you all the best on this journey and I hope to make your acquaintance soon.

Until Next Time,

Kind Regards,

Joy.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Hi joyelizabeth

Wow, so what do you eat on an average day? No gluten, meat, and cutting down on soy it seems like your calories would tend to be too low on average. Do you take whey protein or something? How will you take in protein sufficiently without the soy? I guess that leaves you with eggs and rice and beans for protein?

I wouldn't worry about the naturally occurring sugars in fruit, myself, especially since you don't eat regular sugar

Xylitol is ok, supposed tom cause some gi upset in large quantities, stevia is supposed tomb more natural

Wishing you the best in your journey :flowerforyou:
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Wow Joy! that's an amazing story! Mine is actually pretty similar, except that my body doesn't reject meat. It rejects wheat, corn and soy. Just to be aware, soy acts like an estrogen in our systems and messes with the thyroid. If you start noticing other issues, maybe check into that???
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Hi JoyElizabeth!

I can't tollerate meat either. I have been known to cave from time to time, but its not worth the pain it causes. In February I went totally Vegan and have loved it ever since. I'm also a HUGE Deepak Chopra fan! I saw him speak last year and it was so amazing! Someday I hope to visit the Chopra center. I get updates from there often and it is so tempting, yet expensive.

The book The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone is really good. She gives eating plans that are macrobiotic, minus the animals. The recipes are really good and mostly don't contain gluten. If they do, its rare and can be easliy adjusted.

Good luck to you. Feel free to add me as a friend. I have alot of other veggie friends too, some vegetarian, some vegan.

Holly
  • CardioRS
    Options
    joyelizabeth - Soy hasn't been a problem for you? Just curious - with the cysts (which I have had some big ones), I was curious as most soy is genetically 'modified' these days and it can act like estrogen. As far as sweeteners - you need to try Stevia. I use it in my hot green tea each day and love it. It has a low glycemic index and comes from a root. Just be sure to get the alcohol free one.

Your protein intake must be low - how do you do with beans? Are you able to tolerate them? Also - have you tried the "Just Whites" dehydrated egg whites for some protein. I use Just Whites in my morning shakes at times instead of a soy or whey protein. It is smooth, flavorless and has 3g of protein in 10 calories.

:flowerforyou:
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Oh! I forgot about the sweetner part. I agree with using Stevia.

As for Xylitol, its a wonderful cavity preventer. I worked at a pediatric dental clinic for a major childrens hospital. The Peds residents had to do research on certain topics and one of the doctors did Xylitol. As for it being ingested, she discovered that there really isn't enough research to how it reacts. They actually recommended that it NOT be ingested. Just used for cavity prevention. It works really well in that aspect and they always gave it to the children who had disabilities whose enamal may not have formed properly or to children who were cavity prone. But it was always stressed that they NOT ingest it.

As for natural sugars found in fruits, I think they shouldn't be counted in the sugar count. It has been asked before if Mike can seperate them from the sugar count, but I think he said its just too complicated. I don't use that colum anyway because I don't use added sugar or eat very many processed foods. Therefore, its not really necessary to keep track. I'm the same way you described on sugar and caffiene. Its like spped for me. I start talking fast and can't shut up. I shake and need to fidgit constantly. I "just say no" to sugar, lol.
  • Crysta1976
    Crysta1976 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    YAY! I'm so excited this group was brought up today! I can't wait to sit and read everybody's stories!
  • JoyElizabeth
    JoyElizabeth Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Firstly, thanks everyone for your input –I’ve had a long time to study what works and what doesn’t work for me regarding food and given that I’ve got a strong “system” mentality, I’m finally at a place where I’m mostly happy with how I’ve got things running. Everyone I talk to or read has something wonderful to offer, and if I haven’t already checked it out to see if it works for me, then I look to see how it might “fit” in my life and I either embrace it or discard it depending on the trial and error process.

cutmd - To see what I eat on an average day, maybe add me as a friend and check out my food diary. I think I can only eat like this because I have simplified my tastes over the years. Don’t get me wrong, this has not been easy and is why I have succumbed to so many foods that while they taste good, aren’t good for me and has kept the weight on for all these years!

The soy certainly keeps my protein up and from what protein products I like and can eat, the vege Hot Dogs seem to provide the best balance of nutrients, convenience, satiety and taste. I have a pure soy powder that I use in a pinch if I run out of Soy products in the fridge, but even with rice milk it’s not easy to drink it unless I mix it with so much other stuff which gets complicated, so it sits in the cupboard hoping to get better with age :-)

I don’t seem to have a problem with my protein levels gauging by the MFP monitors, but the only reason I’m concerned about the soy products that I use is that they still have a small amount of gluten/sugar in it, they are still processed, and I don’t know if it is making a difference to my well-being or not – I will have to weigh up the pros and cons on this, but I’ll wait to see how I go and how I’m feeling once I’ve lost some more weight and see if I need to change it or not – dropping the soy may not be necessary – I hope not, because I am just now getting into the swing of things and enjoying my lifestyle – but I’m also not sure about the long term effects of having a lot of soy in my diet in terms of it increasing my intolerance to soy later on – like you all say “What do I do for protein then?”.

I’m supposed to have a special medical rice-based shake called “Ultra Clear Plus” that the doctor tells me to take every day to cleanse my liver, but I keep forgetting to have it unless I’ve eaten too much bad stuff and then I’ll remember to take it :-)

Mind you, my liver test has come down from 412 to 140 over 5 years eating like this, so I’m not complaining. I’ve still got a ways to go to get it to 40, but now that I’m eating well and not undoing all my good work by fighting myself and eating badly, I’ll have a better chance of getting those levels lower.

No, my calories aren’t low – and I don’t mind eating the same types of foods over and over again, but I mix them up in different ways to keep things interesting anyway. Plus I just try to substitute my soy products in where the family have their “meat” and so I never run out of ideas as they have a varied diet too. And I also keep remembering a saying that goes “Remember, cows get fat eating green grass!” so even if I eat “Healthy” I can still get fat!

And just like you said, I don’t think I’ll worry about the natural sugar in fruit, because I don't eat any added sugar. I rarely go near mangoes though – far too much sugar and it affects my brain!

NicoleE516 & CardioRS - Soy doesn’t appear to be a problem for me. Since I’ve adopted these eating routines, my cysts have shrunk by more than half thankfully and I am nowhere near a surgeon’s knife now (providing I keep doing the right things most of the time).

My doctor says that my estrogen levels are normal, but my progesterone is extremely low even though I would take double dosages to lift their levels. Because it gave me such bad migraines I stopped using the cream and the only thing I have adjusted over the past 2 years is my diet – since I eat well, my cycles have regulated themselves beautifully.

As much as I’ve tried, I’m not real fussed with Stevia – I don’t like the after taste – I’d rather learn to go without sugar (which I can easily do when I eat simple foods. It’s when I play with flavours that I end up having problems with “looking for something sweet” - and then I've got a REAL sweet tooth). And now if I’m looking for something to eat, I’ll head for protein first and usually that other feeling goes away. The only time I’ll go for sweet is when TOM is due and so I look to natural sweet in fruit like an orange, apple, pitted dates or banana and that seems to get rid of the craving.

I’m not sure what the go is with eggs, but they always make me have smelly burps, and beans (no matter how I cook them) make me burp in my shorts :-0 !!! Not good personally or socially, so I don’t do beans unless I have to because they obviously don’t agree with me.

But I really like the idea of "Just Whites" dehydrated egg whites to use in a shake and so I’ll look into this more – whey, because it is based on milk I guess, makes me really mucusy and so it’s best if I steer clear of it.

Holly - Thanks for the book reference – I’ll check it out shortly.

Do y’know? All this food stuff sounds so hard and complicated, but I am really so surprised because it is actually quite simple for me now. Because I simplified my life last November, I must have simplified more than my outer world – it seems my inner world has become more simplified as well and my tastes have adjusted to accommodate this new lifestyle – I guess a simply gorgeous body will be following shortly!! How wonderful to know this! :-)

OK then guys, that's more than enough about me. Have yourselves a really fantastic day and I wish you all the best with your personal journeys – I hope the sun shines on you at least once today :-)

Until next time,

Kind Regards,

Joy.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :heart: :heart:

PS - Has anyone got a great recipe for a lo-cal, chemical free, dairy, gluten, caffeine, sugar free biscuit or slice that tastes yum?
  • cutmd
    Options
    JoyElizabeth, if you start slow and gradually increase eggs and beans, those burps should go away. It's just your body adjusting to the digestion. I used to have the same problem, now I can eat a huge bowl of beans fearlessly :wink:

Off topic: Crunchy maple surprise is the best cereal ever - gluten free or otherwise. Soooo good, low sugar, and organic, too. If you are gluten free but not low carb you gotta try it, y'all :tongue:
  • julialee
    julialee Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! My name is Julie. I'm new to MFP. I was diagnosed as Celiac a year ago, and have been very very strict with being GF since. Looking back, I realize I've been Celiac my whole life...it just took a long time to get bad enough for anyone to test for it.

I'm interested in how many of you talk about losing weight when you stopped gluten intake. I was told by my GI doc that I would gain weight...and boy, was he right. I guess I was eating way too much before and nothing was getting processed correctly--I immediately gained 20 lbs within a few months. My doc also told me that within 6 months my metabolism would even out. This hasn't been the case at all!! I still struggle with everything I eat...and my body continues to act like I'm starving it... it saves every morsel. This may be coupled with the fact that I'm being treated for ulcers/h pylori (and that I've spent the last 2 months vomiting constantly--I did lose about 10 lbs due to this, and I've gained 2 back since then).

I'm currently eating around 1200 calories per day. I realize this isn't much...but it seems I have to stay that low to prevent weight gain.

Any tips for turning your metabolism around? Did anyone else GAIN a lot of weight when you went GF?
  • cutmd
    Options
    Hi Julie:

I think the difference you are seeing is that few of us here have celiac disease, but many of us are gluten intolerant. While the average celiac loses weight due to malabsorption and abdominal discomfort, many gluten intolerant people undergo water retention and bloating, as well as possible insulin aberrancies that makes them gain weight. That's why you often see one group gain and the other lose.

I think your metabolism is shot as you say. If you are not lifting weights, start doing something like Jillian Michaels's 30 day shred. Also, read these articles. They are written for the figure athlete group but the same principles apply:

http://figureathlete.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/diet_and_nutrition/the_metabolism_repair_plan
    http://www.burnthefat.com/slow-metabolism-problems.html

I guess I will also throw in the obligatory, "get your thyroid checked"

Hope that helps :flowerforyou:
  • cutmd
    Options
    Here is great post from another thread on metabolism:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'm not allergic to anything I know of, but I find that most of the gluten free products I buy taste great. I picked up some quinoa since it's a complete protein and can be used in place of rice and couscous. This stuff is great and I'm really sad I never knew about this wonderful grain sooner. I liked it so much, I bought Crunchmaster Crackers that has quinoa in it and ordered quinoa pasta off of Amazon. I've always preferred the taste of whole grains over whole wheat and I'm glad the food industry has noticed that there is a big market for gluten free products. Another food I wish I'd known about earlier is Almond Milk. I know it's new to the mass market but I know it's been around for a long time.
  • julialee
    julialee Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    CutMD--these articles are fantastic! You've been a huge help already! I've got an extra challenge, but I'm up for it!

Thanks so much!