Broscience

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    the science that tells us that eating fast food is horrible for our bodies.

Got a link to the study that says a flour tortilla that has some ground beef, lettuce, and processed cheese in it is "horrible for our bodies"?
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    A good example of a widely misinterpreted study is the one performed by the ACSM in the mid 90's that determined that pyruvate drastically increases testosterone levels. Well..... at least that's how everyone interpreted it. What the actual study showed was that pyruvate slightly increased testosterone levels in post-menopausal women; however, if you read a recap of the study in a magazine they failed to mention who the test subjects were.

Misinterpretation of studies by people who don't understand the scientific method is probably one of the leading causes of misinformation out there, in my opinion. If you don't have an education in some sort of applicable field (biology, biochemistry, physiology, kinesiology, etc....) you probably don't understand most of the scientific literature you are reading and should seek the input of someone who does before you go off coming to your own conclusions. We see this a lot in my work. People come in and say "I have multiple sclerosis, I know it. I read that siht on webMD" and then after we do the electroneurodiagnostic studies we find that they have something basic and easy to treat like carpal tunnel syndrome.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    look, it comes down to each person finding and doing what works for them. when people find out what i do, they have all sorts of *kitten* to talk, but you know what, ive lost 60 pounds in 5 months, i feel awesome, and im looking much better! every day i see a new thread on why we are all going to fail if we dont do it this way or why doing it that way is going to kill us, and you know what, its all complete bullsh!t. i am a special snowflake, my mommy said i was special all my life, i believe she meant a special snowflake. not one body functions 100% the same as anothers body. what works for one may not work for another. its simple, find what workd and run with it.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options

Got a link to the study that says a flour tortilla that has some ground beef, lettuce, and processed cheese in it is "horrible for our bodies"?

i had fast food yesterday. it was so good!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I absolutely do question claims that have zero evidence, especially if they're given as recommendations contrary to someone's goals.

That was discussed previously in this thread - can we let it drop?

I would thoroughly agree if in the previous thread the info I was giving made a runner/cyclist advice to stop training for her races as bad information. Clearly in my part I had not read the original post well enough if that was the case.

My information was given for the general populace who generally are not runners nor cyclist that race.

FWIW I have NEVER said I am bigger, listen to me. EVER.

I do however have a list of people who follow my advice and have achieved the finals in every single competition they have entered.

I'm far from perfect and I'm sure every now and again I'll pop out some poor advice, usually perhaps down to misunderstanding the original posters needs. I'm human, it happens.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    "You want studies? *kitten* you, i have scars and blood and vomit." Jim Wendler

I think it's hilarious when some person who is skinny and weak wants to tell me how i'm lifting wrong or when some obese person tries to tell ripped people how they're going about their cutting incorrectly based on some bs they read in men's health about bosu balls or green tea or some other "broscience". Some people just can't think for themselves.

totally agree.. I find the people who look like i would like and do what they do. Must be doing it right to look like they do. Shall good old fashioned hard work.
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    just for fun:

"January 8, 2013 Urban Word of the Day
    Broscience is the predominant brand of reasoning in bodybuilding circles where the anecdotal reports of jacked dudes are considered more credible than scientific research.
    Broscience in action:

"Bro, you gotta slam 40-60 grams of waxy maize plus 20 grams of BCAA within 7 seconds of finishing your last set of squat rack curls. Otherwise, you'll go straight catabolic.""
  • jonnythan
    Options

I think it's hilarious when some person who is skinny and weak wants to tell me how i'm lifting wrong or when some obese person tries to tell ripped people how they're going about their cutting incorrectly based on some bs they read in men's health about bosu balls or green tea or some other "broscience". Some people just can't think for themselves.

totally agree.. I find the people who look like i would like and do what they do. Must be doing it right to look like they do. Shall good old fashioned hard work.

And what do you do when there are 10,000 people who look how you want to look, and they all say something different?
  • sheila219
    Options
    like Walter implied I cant believe that someone can make $5611 in 4 weeks on the computer. did you read this web site jump15.com
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Matt, one the onne hand I see your point. Lot's of brosciece accusations flying around and lot's of questionable study info posted.

On the other hand, what is the best way to combat the myriad of myths that get posted as fact on here 100x per day? While studies might no be perfect, there are certainly a step in the right directions from "the trainer at the gym said" or "I read in ladies home journal" or something from a Liverstrong article or Wikipedia.

How much foolishness and time wasting nonsense goes up here every day? And if not studies, how would you propose countering it?

Is it a step in the right direction?

I see supplement companies do it all the time on small scale studies and also the same here - is there really a difference?

In the same vein, should we all be following the "The China Study" since it was a vast and detailed study over 20-30 years with various outlined benefits, simply because it is a study showing consuming plants over animals suggests overall improved health and life expectancy?

Just because something is a study doesn't mean discerment goes out the window. The flaws in The China Studyhave been well documented. But you never really gave your opinion on what you feel the best way to combat the myth and misinformation would be if not with reasonable scientice data. What do you think is best?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with the OP. Studies are wonderful things, but you can't just look at one study as the one and only or final word on a subject. Or assume that a study "debunks" a previous study or conclusions just because it produced different results or the conclusions drawn were different.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    just for fun:

"January 8, 2013 Urban Word of the Day
    Broscience is the predominant brand of reasoning in bodybuilding circles where the anecdotal reports of jacked dudes are considered more credible than scientific research.
    Broscience in action:

"Bro, you gotta slam 40-60 grams of waxy maize plus 20 grams of BCAA within 7 seconds of finishing your last set of squat rack curls. Otherwise, you'll go straight catabolic.""

Also from Urbandictionary.com:

Unsubstantiated Nutritional and Human physiological claims. Broscience does not ALWAYS go hand in hand with being wrong, its just that its simply UNSUBTANIATED.

Most Jacked guys claim some of these facts to be true since it "worked for them" when they fail to realize that just because it works for them, it will not always tailor to the common majority. Supplement companies tend to perpetuated Broscience so people will keep believing these myths so companies can make products that accomodate these claims so they in turn make $$. Always read, always question. If your not enjoying yourself throughout your training career your probably doing something wrong.
    "If you don't eat every 2-4 hours you'll risk being catabolic at some parts of the day, bro. Vince Delmonte said you need to eat every 2-4 hours!"

That is Broscience man. Human beings would not have survived and thrived the way we do today had our dietary needs been that demanding. It's best you ignore everything Vince Delmonte says.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

1. If you think that's all you are eating when you chow down at Taco Bell, you truly are a fool
    2. If you need a link to confirm common sense:

http://www.obesity-info.com/2012/04/fast-food-is-bad.html
    http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/happens-eat-many-sweets-fast-foods-4074.html
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/507158-what-are-the-consequences-of-eating-too-much-fast-food/

Check the reference links at the bottom of these pages for the studies cited.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    1. If you think that's all you are eating when you chow down at Taco Bell, you truly are a fool

Beef, Water, Seasoning [Cellulose, Chili Pepper, Onion Powder, Salt, Oats (Contains Wheat), Maltodextrin (Corn, Potato, Tapioca), Soy Lecithin, Tomato Powder, Sugar, Soybean Oil, Sea Salt, Yeast Extract (Contains Gluten), Spices, Garlic Powder, Citric Acid, Caramel Color, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, Potassium Chloride, Cocoa Powder Processed with Alkali, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Trehalose, Modified Corn Starch, Inactivated Yeast, Lactic Acid, Torula Yeast, Natural Smoke Flavor], Salt, Sodium Phosphate, Less Than 2% Beef Broth, Potassium Phosphate, Potassium Lactate. CONTAINS: SOYBEANS, WHEAT

Which one of these ingredients is the one that is destroying my body?
  • bostonwolf
    Options

And what do you do when there are 10,000 people who look how you want to look, and they all say something different?

I try to see where the commonalities lies (because in that sample size they would HAVE to exist) and then apply them to myself to see if they work.

Like any other intelligence person who cares about their health.
  • bostonwolf
    Options

i had fast food yesterday. it was so good!

I had fast food this weekend as well, but I don't lie to myself about what kind of crap I'm eating and how good or bad it is for me.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Just because something is a study doesn't mean discerment goes out the window. The flaws in The China Studyhave been well documented. But you never really gave your opinion on what you feel the best way to combat the myth and misinformation would be if not with reasonable scientice data. What do you think is best?

The solution is in the question.

Both sources of information should be considered. Scientific and empirical and then perhaps draw conclusions for oneself, rather than shout someone down because they cannot explain fully why their methods work - it certainly doesn't make it wrong AND certainly taking data from studies and applying it with some logic based on who you are and what you are applying it against.

Comparing a frail old man or some layabout 20 somethings to any person who has trained for years with a different build and thus nutritional needs is clearly daft.

Even basic keto dieting for example will adjust blood glucose levels/insulin release etc and overall bodily composition - when you add in the variables of increased lean mass, reduce cholesterol in the blood, are we really applying like with like?

I would suggest possibly no.
  • jonnythan
    Options

2. If you need a link to confirm common sense:

http://www.obesity-info.com/2012/04/fast-food-is-bad.html
    http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/happens-eat-many-sweets-fast-foods-4074.html
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/507158-what-are-the-consequences-of-eating-too-much-fast-food/

Check the reference links at the bottom of these pages for the studies cited.

Oh, and here's a fun one. Here's an ingredient list:
    100% Pure USDA Inspected Beef; No Fillers, No Extenders.
    Prepared with Grill Seasoning (Salt, Black Pepper).

Is that the ingredient list for a hamburger you make at home, or a hamburger from McDonald's?

I'll give you time if you want to go check it out yourself.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You have a link for your evidence. I have a 500 pound squat for mine. The link wins.

Got it, thanks.

A lot of guys have achieved a 500-pound squat. Squatting 500 doesn't mean you're a special snowflake or that all of your opinions are true.

George Burns lived to 100, and he smoked like a chimney. The broscience equivalent would be him, at 99, saying "everyone should smoke and drink all day. You have a link to all your science about smoking and drinking, I have the fact that I lived to be 99 years old. The science wins. Got it."

I've been at the gym for the last hour so forgive the barrage of late to the party responses I'm probably about to post.

Lifting a lot of weight, gaining a lot of size, or placing in a fitness or physique competition isn't magic. It doesn't happen overnight and it's not something that a person is born with.

The guy that squats 500 had to put time in, tried various routines, tried various nutrition solutions, and either read or was taught all of the available science of the day. In your pretend world, you think a 500 lb squat is like a 36 inch vertical leap; that it's just genetic. Sorry, but I learned how to do mine the hard way.

Meanwhile, the skinny guy with a bunch of links saved on his browser feels free to question everything I've accomplished in life even tho he has absolutely no experience in the game. I'm sorry, but back when I was doing this, there were no links, there was barely an internet, and only a handful of people had email. I don't have any saved up links to offer you. Just experience.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    In your pretend world, you think a 500 lb squat is like a 36 inch vertical leap; that it's just genetic.

... Huh? What on earth are you talking about?
    Meanwhile, the skinny guy with a bunch of links saved on his browser feels free to question everything I've accomplished in life even tho he has absolutely no experience in the game. I'm sorry, but back when I was doing this, there were no links, there was barely an internet, and only a handful of people had email. I don't have any saved up links to offer you. Just experience.

Who in the world are you talking about? Who is questioning anything you've accomplished?