Salmon recipes

Options

Replies

• babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i normally mix up a bit of lemon juice, olive oil and tarragon, put the salmon on some foil, pour the liquid over it, throw in some veg (onions, asparagus, spinach, tomatoes etc) bundle it all up in the foil and stick it in the oven for about 25 mins. the foil keeps it moist and the steam makes sure the veg cooks enough. but i don't like well cooked veg, there's definitely still a crunch.
  • Tuffjourney
    Options
    WOW love this post. I am such a fan of Salmon. Some really brilliant suggestions here. :smooched:
  • jerryatrics
    jerryatrics Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If I'm really in a rush and using frozen/refrigerated salmon fillets I'll add 1:1 soy sauce and water until the salmon is covered, chop some scallions (ginger optional too) and microwave for ~5-6 min until desired pinkness inside. My mother used to make this a lot (along with other types of fish) when I was growing up and I was shocked to learn later that something that tasted this good came from a microwave!

If I'm making a nicer meal my favorite is to sear a fillet skin side down for most of the cooking and then finish on the other side for a couple minutes (Gordon Ramsay has a video on how to do it). For this you would need to wait for the salmon to come up towards room temperature so that it cooks properly.

Another lazy-ish recipe I like is to poach the salmon in whatever liquid/vegetable combination you like (there's lots of recipes for those online).
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I love salmon with a marinade called "Soy Vey"--TJ has a version of their own, Soyaki I think. Marinate salmon filets for around 30 minutes, then broil. Always gets rave reviews. I make it at least once a week.
  • Oaeneo
    Oaeneo Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I just made some salmon patties last night that were awesome!

1 can salmon
    3 tablespoons mayo (I use veganaise because partner is vegan and it's what's in the house)
    2 eggs
    1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
    1 tablespoon mustard

left over veggies (i used stir fry cabbage)

roll into balls (about ten)
    pan fry until water is boiled off and patties are firm and golden
    enjoy
  • rgrin
    rgrin Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    We've got two that we use regularly (I think I'm going to add some of these other yummy ones, too!).

soy sauce and maple syrup (1:1)
    Blackstrap molasses, stoneground mustard, red wine vinegar (2:2:1) with a dash of soy sauce
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I just made some salmon patties last night that were awesome!

1 can salmon
    3 tablespoons mayo (I use veganaise because partner is vegan and it's what's in the house)
    2 eggs
    1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
    1 tablespoon mustard

left over veggies (i used stir fry cabbage)

roll into balls (about ten)
    pan fry until water is boiled off and patties are firm and golden
    enjoy

No bread, bread crumbs or oats?

Pan fry dry? With spray? With oil?
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    i normally mix up a bit of lemon juice, olive oil and tarragon, put the salmon on some foil, pour the liquid over it, throw in some veg (onions, asparagus, spinach, tomatoes etc) bundle it all up in the foil and stick it in the oven for about 25 mins. the foil keeps it moist and the steam makes sure the veg cooks enough. but i don't like well cooked veg, there's definitely still a crunch.
    You use fresh veggies, right? Have you ever done with frozen veggies?
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    New recipe....

Coat well with taco seasoning. Spray frying pan and fry salmon and then top with fresh salsa. It was delicious.

In the meantime, I'm still hoping to an answer to my questions to the poster of the salmon patties recipe.
  • jonaswik77
    jonaswik77 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Soak a cedar plank overnight. Put salmon fillet skin down, salt, pepper & dill and grill on indirect heat until flaky...
  • Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    One of my favs for salmon, or any kind of fish filet. Pan fry in a non stick pan with a spritz of olive oil. Flip and spread on some pesto while the other side is cooking. I also like to season with the Mexican lime & chili salt. (but not at the same time as the pesto)
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    bump
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Easy.
    Brush with maple syrup and cayenne pepper (1/4 cup and 1/2 teaspoon)
    Then, broil with fresh pineapple chucks (you can brush those too)
    I put the rack on the top shelf and broil for about 15 minutes, with the broiler set at 400 degrees F, but you can figure that out yourself.
    Simple. Fast. Incredibly tasty.
  • itsmedicinalbacon
    Options
    bump
  • lulabellarama
    lulabellarama Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    1. Spicy salmon and lentils

Fry a tbsp of curry paste for a minute
    Add a drained can of green lentils and half a can of water
    Cook for 10 mins
    Put 2 salmon fillets on top, cover the pan and leave to steam for 10 minutes
    Remove fillets, add a bag of baby spinach
    Cover and cook for 5 mins
    Mix lemon juice with EVOO
    Drizzle lemon mixture over lentils and serve alongside the salmon

2. Chipotle salmon.

Cover salmon with chipotle paste
    Marinade for at least 30 mins
    Grill
    Serve with avocado salsa and rice or tortillas

3. Citrus salmon

Place fillets on foil
    Mix up light creme fraiche with spring onion, lime zest, salt and pepper
    Cover fillets
    Seal foil and bake for 15 minutes
    Serve with green veg and potatoes
  • kavanaghev
    kavanaghev Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound weird, but it's totally amazing and the easiest, most delicious salmon you'll ever make.

Cut slices into fillets about an inch apart, not all the way through.. maybe halfway through.
    Coat fillets and fill slices with Strawberry or Apricot-Pineapple or Peach preserves. No joke, the Apricot-Pineapple (Smuckers) is phenom. You just kind of mash it in there, you don't need a lot. About one serving of preserves per serving of salmon.
    Put on a cookie sheet and bake at 400 for 10-12 mins or until done. I've also cooked it at 350 and 375 and you just cook it until it flakes easily with a fork.

You can use sugar-free preserves as well. Those are the flavors I have tried and loved, but I'm sure there are many more that would be good. This is easy because I pretty much always have preserves in my fridge and never have to buy anything extra to make an incredible salmon dish. My friends laugh at me because everything I cook is ridiculously easy (with weird applications of everyday ingredients), but they consistently request "jelly fish" when they come for dinner!

Simple for us calorie counters as well :)
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Easiest ever salmon.
    Salmon sprinkled with Tony Chachere's seasoning ( Cajun/creole seasoning)
    Bake or grill.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    My go-to for almost any fish is:
    Olive oil
    Lemon juice
    White wine
    Minced garlic
    Basil
    Oregano
    S&P

I'll let the fish sit in that for 20 min or so (not too long, you don't want the lemon juice to "cook" the fish). Then either bake in the oven or grill on a cedar plank.

And, I was going to suggest this as well. It's a basic tzatziki recipe, but I don't puree mine, just shred the cucumber (make sure you drain it well) and mix it up. It's best if it sits for a day or so, but I've also made it right before. And, the more dill, the better. ;-)
    I put 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt in the food processor with 1 whole peeled and seeded cucumber and 1 tbsp of dill, salt, pepper and granulated garlic to taste. Puree until smooth and you've got a fresh, fat free cucumber/dill sauce to serve on your salmon. YUMMY!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Someone in another group posted a salad with salmon grilled with some evoo and put on a bed of lettuce with some tomatos and strawberries. I may have to try this myself tomorrow night. Sounds very yummy