Man to Man: A Support System for Men (part 2)

Options

Replies

• onebeer
    onebeer Posts: 36
    Options
    Not a Friday weigh in, but my Saturday one was 191. Not quite as good as the 189 it was in the week but now that I've seen it on the scales, I know I can do it.

To all those non-runners starting at the mo, keep it up. I only started in Feb, but am running 5m at least twice a week, on top of my 12m cycle to work (on 3 days of the 7), and sometimes doing 7m on a Sunday. Even acheived 9m a few weeks ago when I just felt that I could keep going....regretted it the next day, and ached like anything:huh:

Have got my 4m time down from 45 mins in Feb, to 36 mins now - aiming to keep that average over a 6 :smile: - but still gotta way to go on that.

Anyway, have a peaceful Sunday all.
  • daved71
    daved71 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Morning guys, just did my weigh in and have not lost as much as hoped again. I had a real good week where i biked to work 4 out of the 5 days but I had a bad eating week. I started the challenge at 182 and today was 180.8. I haven't set a goal that I wanted to get to but I know that I want to get out of the obese range and hopefully be around 175.

I need to kick start this week off on a good foot and start eating better along with my exercise.
  • gr8dad1975
    gr8dad1975 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys

I weighed Friday and my weight was 194.6. This is the weight that I started at on 05/21/10; but this comes as no surprise because I have been holding steady at this weight for the past few weeks (although my waist is trimming down). Don't fret for me though, I know my body: it will linger in plateau mode for a fews weeks and all of a sudden the numbers will drop. This may seem strange to some, but this is how body goes through its transformations. I have been exercising regularly and consistently falling below my calorie goals, so I know its not me (my body just does what it wants to do). But its actually quite fun because one day I will just wake up and out of nowhere, pounds are gone.

I don't know if anyone else on here is experiencing a plateau, but believe me it happens. If so, I just want to encourage you to keep up the hard work and don't let the numbers on the scale discourage you. We are all men, but we will go through this transition differently; at our own pace, in our own way. This is an individual journey, not a group race. So although we may set challenges for each other as group, above all else, we will always support everyone in this group.

Keep up the good work men!!!
  • onebeer
    onebeer Posts: 36
    Options
    Snap. Last month I was stuck at 196. Really stuck. Kept doing the right things, an as I said above, I have now dipped as far as 189, but have levelled to a consistent 191.

Onwards and Downwards :)
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I have been holding steady at this weight for the past few weeks (although my waist is trimming down). Don't fret for me though, I know my body: it will linger in plateau mode for a fews weeks and all of a sudden the numbers will drop. This may seem strange to some, but this is how body goes through its transformations. I have been exercising regularly and consistently falling below my calorie goals, so I know its not me (my body just does what it wants to do). But its actually quite fun because one day I will just wake up and out of nowhere, pounds are gone.

Well done gr8dad. I feel like I'm on a plateau all the time, probably because I'm the kind of person that steps on the scale twice a day, but when I check my weigh-ins for the previous months i see the progress. It's right there and its substantial
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I think I survived the weekend without too much damage. Just got my first work out in of the week.

It was so good...I'm shaking and it's hard to type.

Time to go get some more sun, and fix my bicycles.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Howdy Guys,
    This is more guys in here than part 1. That's great.

I've been on here since May 2009, and just came back from 2 week all inclusive vacation(oh yah getting married was in there somewhere). I gained at least 5 lbs. Yada Yada water weight, sodium, yada yada.

Last year when joining I was 225 wearing 40" pants and XL shirts.
    I'm 5'7 and I got down to 187 before vacation (34" pants and medium shirts) and today sitting at 192.
    I had an auto accident last Aug which put me out of commision for few months. I definately want to get into the 170's.

I walk/jog around the block around my house for 6kms in 48 mins. Something that I can now reach to cut time down on.
    I'm restarting P90x Classic and definately going to push those weights.

Last time I worked out to P90x I was eatng 40-30-30 (C-P-F).
    This time I want to follow the nutrition plan for P90x, which has 50%-30%-20% (P-C-F).
    So I'm going to try and get close to eating 225 grams of protein daily.

So since there is no coughdramacough in the forum about eating 1200 calories and not losing weight.

How much calories are you guys eating, and more importantly, what %'s are you eating?
    Are you following MFP's set Carb/Protein/Fat?
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I'm now maintaining, maybe losing a little, and working more on fitness than weightloss these days.

I'm on about 2K cals a day, and I eat most of my ex calories except on the days when the numbers are extreme. About the %'s, I don't
    really watch them that closely. I'm usually way over MFP's %'s on protein, pretty close on carbs and under on fats.
  • ccgisme
    ccgisme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Finished C25K Wk 5 Day 2 this morning. Felt good. Monday will be my first "long" interval. 20 straight minutes of running. Yikes! I'm looking forward to the challenge. :bigsmile:

Well, I did it! It was hard. Next week, the program bumps me up to a 25 minute run... A new challenge :bigsmile:
  • CreativeRedhead
    CreativeRedhead Posts: 2,166
    Options
    Congrats on that Gale! You'll do fantastic on that 25 min run!!! :wink:
  • iplayoutside19
    Options
    Finished C25K Wk 5 Day 2 this morning. Felt good. Monday will be my first "long" interval. 20 straight minutes of running. Yikes! I'm looking forward to the challenge. :bigsmile:

Well, I did it! It was hard. Next week, the program bumps me up to a 25 minute run... A new challenge :bigsmile:

Good job on the C25K. I just got myself back to running 30 min, this morning. Thursday will be HIIT for 30 min, and then Saturday I will be camping and have a couple trails in mind for a trail run. Trail runs are completely different than regular runs. Because of the elevation change, and uneven surface your core is used much more than normal.

Scale hasn't moved. However, I am almost back to the previous slimmest hole on my belt. I was only on that hole for a few fleeting weeks, but I'm going to get there again.

Tomorrow I'm probably going to burn close to 2000 calories in excersise. Regular weight workout, mowing the lawn, and 18 holes of golf. I'm pre-hydrating right now. (I'm taking the day off for other reasons I'm not ready to devulge)

To answer thumpers question. I'm at 2100 goal right now. That's a 750 deficit. I eat my excersise calories If I need to, which is often. I've noticed that if I have a huge deficit left when I go to bed, that I'm really hungry the next day and end up eating those calories eventually. I don't reallY mess with the %, I try to go over on protien, and stay under on Sugar and Cholesterol. But as we all know it doesn't work out that way sometimes.

Well, what can you say about the 1200 Kcal Crowd that hasn't been already. It's not that I can't fathom just eating 1200 Kcal, it's myopia.

Sometimes I think we should change our name to "We eat a lot of calories, because we burn a lot of calories"
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    How much calories are you guys eating, and more importantly, what %'s are you eating?

I've found MFP's level of protein are too low for me... I've changed my plan to reflect 55% carbs, 25% protein and 20% fat - back when I'd been doing really well for a few months in a row, this was working quite well for me. Some days I even have a higher protein and lower carbs/fat percentage.
  • FORKDOWN
    FORKDOWN Posts: 1,754
    Options
    Yesterdays weight 251.4lbs . Got a great run in Saturday.

Keep pushing dudes. :glasses:
  • ccgisme
    ccgisme Posts: 239 Member
    Options

I'm eating roughly 1900 per day. That's a 750 calorie deficit for me. I'll probably stick to this number until I'm under 240 and then I'll ease up a bit.

I do not follow MFPs set Carb/Protein/Fat. I upped the protein and the fat - I try to get fat from seeds, nuts, olive oil, fish, etc. but there was this Wendy's Double Cheeseburder this weekend... :bigsmile: I loosely modeled this on a diet program for people with metabolic syndrome my doctor gave me. I need to take another run at that and see how accurate I was.
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, just checking in I guess. I've been sick for a week & a half and work has been piling up b/c it's not so easy to program when you're feeling groggy and I'm all out of sick days and vacations so I've just stepped off these last seven days or so. I've been breaking down and eating junk, kinda lost motivation as long as I feel crappy. The way I look at it is, maybe this is a good thing, as I was kinda getting bored with the monotony of counting cals - I guess this is some needed rest. Idk.

Anyways, congrats guys on your efforts. I haven't weighed myself but I'm probably up a few lbs so I'll have something to fight for once I get better. Keep going!
  • FORKDOWN
    FORKDOWN Posts: 1,754
    Options
    Hey guys, just checking in I guess. I've been sick for a week & a half and work has been piling up b/c it's not so easy to program when you're feeling groggy and I'm all out of sick days and vacations so I've just stepped off these last seven days or so. I've been breaking down and eating junk, kinda lost motivation as long as I feel crappy. The way I look at it is, maybe this is a good thing, as I was kinda getting bored with the monotony of counting cals - I guess this is some needed rest. Idk.

Anyways, congrats guys on your efforts. I haven't weighed myself but I'm probably up a few lbs so I'll have something to fight for once I get better. Keep going!

Glad your feeling better and good to have you back.
  • wjassell
    wjassell Posts: 104 Member
    Options

Hey I am a fellow P90Xer I currently eat 1900-2100 calories per day with a 20/40/40 (C/P/F) with the emphasis on good fats like nuts, avacado and animal fats.

I am 6'1 221
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'7 152 lb guy currently eating 1700 - 2000 cals/day and 30/40/30 (C/P/F) ... wjassell question about those "good fats" - nuts, avacodo, but animal fats? Like lard, tallow and butter? Last I checked most animal fats are of the saturated kind which doesn't sound so good to me.

Guys, I'm feeling much better, went for a jog tonight about 5.5 miles all together w/ around 1.5 miles of that walking - felt good to do something I know is good for me. I'm back to giving this my all again. Thanks for your support!
  • wjassell
    wjassell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    The animal fats thing comes from the Primal Blueprint book by Mark Scisson and to be quite honest I'm not sure why I put that in there since I eat very very little animal fats most of my fats come from almonds and soy.
  • iplayoutside19
    Options
    Good! I finally got back to that smallest loop on the belt

Bad! Did something to my foot yesterday, that led to not run this morning. However, I will be making up the cardio on the pool this evening. Foot should be fine, I just think it needs some rest.

Ugly! I had a weak moment and had a 44 oz Mt Dew this morning...but I was 1000 calories under goal when I went to bed last night, so I think it might wash.