Man to Man: A Support System for Men (part 2)

Options

Replies

• onebeer
    onebeer Posts: 36
    Options
    Hurrah

Not going to post it as my weight yet, as I want a few days for it to settle, but have just weighed in at 188.8, my lowest for, well, a while! As my previous weigh in was 193, I'm hoping it will settle around the 190 mark :happy:

Anyhows, keep going fellas
  • gr8dad1975
    gr8dad1975 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys

It's awesome see a group of men from so many different backgrounds and experiences coming together for a good cause. You are all doing an excellent job and it shows. I just wanted to take a moment to say "KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!"
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Well, tomorrow's the big day - I will ride my bicycle to work. I brought my ditty bag to work this morning so I have a change of clothes and a towel for tomorrow morning, and I'll shower and change when I get here.

So - tonight I service the bike, 80 lbs of air in the tires, clean&lube the chain, make a couple adjustments. Tomorrow (thursday) morning I'll be up early and toss a lunch and a couple of clif bars into the basket of the bike and I'll head out. I've made the trip once before, one way only, and it took me about 1 hour 45 mins. I'm hoping to make the ride to the shop in 1-1/2 hour tomorrow morning.

It's 26+ miles each way, so the round trip is about 53 miles and will take over 3 hours. MFP says 3 hours of fast riding is worth about 2700 calories. Hmmmm.... I don't think I'll be eating that much :noway:
  • FORKDOWN
    FORKDOWN Posts: 1,754
    Options
    I don't air guitar,,, I real guitar, and never when exercising. The toys get enough sweat and muck on them when playing on a warm day.

I tend to get a little wierd when lifting. The warrior mentality comes out. Once I get going it's all about rage-ego-pain-control-domination-hatred-anger-fear,,, I get a little spastic and my eyes get big, some stomping and some flexing. I love it. Haven't done it in a while. Makes the ol' lady pretty uncomfortable and she just leaves the room, which is probably for the best.

I think I am developing a man crush.

:love:

(seriously just kidding, how about them Bears)

:embarassed:
  • FORKDOWN
    FORKDOWN Posts: 1,754
    Options
    Well, tomorrow's the big day - I will ride my bicycle to work. I brought my ditty bag to work this morning so I have a change of clothes and a towel for tomorrow morning, and I'll shower and change when I get here.

So - tonight I service the bike, 80 lbs of air in the tires, clean&lube the chain, make a couple adjustments. Tomorrow (thursday) morning I'll be up early and toss a lunch and a couple of clif bars into the basket of the bike and I'll head out. I've made the trip once before, one way only, and it took me about 1 hour 45 mins. I'm hoping to make the ride to the shop in 1-1/2 hour tomorrow morning.

It's 26+ miles each way, so the round trip is about 53 miles and will take over 3 hours. MFP says 3 hours of fast riding is worth about 2700 calories. Hmmmm.... I don't think I'll be eating that much :noway:

Good luck. Are you going to ice down the boys when you get there?
    :laugh:
  • CasperO
    Options
    I have a good pair of bike shorts with a nice padded chamois in the appropriate area, and my bike has a well fitted and well adjusted seat. That stuff's actually not a problem once you get the right equipment and get used to is a bit.

Bears? Like hairy gay men bears or Chicago bears? Kodiak bears? If you're talking sports heroes I'm more a Ruben Xaus or Ryan Young fan myself. Valentino Rossi rules,,, ((Motorcycle racers, google them for pics of real man doing really manly stuff)).
  • gr8dad1975
    Options

Bears? Like hairy gay men bears or Chicago bears? Kodiak bears? If you're talking sports heroes I'm more a Ruben Xaus or Ryan Young fan myself. Valentino Rossi rules,,, ((Motorcycle racers, google them for pics of real man doing really manly stuff)).

Okay Casper, how about them cougars?!?! :wink: :laugh:
  • tex43
    tex43 Posts: 229
    Options
    Hurrah

Not going to post it as my weight yet, as I want a few days for it to settle, but have just weighed in at 188.8, my lowest for, well, a while! As my previous weigh in was 193, I'm hoping it will settle around the 190 mark :happy:

Anyhows, keep going fellas

WTG,that's got to be a pretty good feeling,good for you bro!:drinker:
  • darman
    darman Posts: 269
    Options
    sorry im late guys - been kind of busy

running goal of increase to 20 miles per week - last week made 18 so i am on the way
    weight goal of 170 - hmmm - well that is another story - that danged coastal uncorked got me this weekend - mexican food dinner

weighing in today at 175 - actually up 2 pounds - guess i will have to work harder - i hope its just that fluctuation thing that we all get sometimes
  • darman
    darman Posts: 269
    Options
    ran my first 5 miler on saturday - not fast 48 min - but man it felt great

did 5 yesterday and then group power class last night - i think i pushed a little too hard - feeling washed out today - still got in pretty hard 3 mile run at lunch - 27.5 min - just couldn't go much harder..........

doing my weigh in on Friday's

1200 cal's burned yesterday - body is freakin out though - holding onto the weight - my water consumption and eating is off - got to get back on track with eating again...........haven't been logging food for a couple of weeks - back on that tomorrow also

great job on your progress men!! looks like we are all serious about this
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I wish I lived close enough to work to ride in. When i lived in other areas i would ride to work. And I agree with Casper, once you get the proper gear it's not that bad. You can burn a ton of calories without out even noticing.

Speaking of calories. I'm halfway through the work out week. I went to bed last night -777. However, this morning I could not eat enough. I had to eat my lunch at 1030, and then go get some grilled chicken at lunch. And this evening I'm kind of in the same boat. I just had lasagna as a snack and I'm still over 700 down. (I wore my HRM while mowing the lawn, that's a lot of kC too) I'm not hungry, but I know I'm going to eat those calories at some point. Tomorrow is a running day, so I'll be starting off with a good deficit.

Bears, I saw an uncaged bear at RMNP last summer. If you leave beer cans and chips laying all over your campsite a bear will visit you too.

I'm a huge sports fan. Unless it's one of the seasonal shows on Discovery/History, I don't watch TV unless there's a game/race on.
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Well, tomorrow's the big day - I will ride my bicycle to work. I've made the trip once before, one way only, and it took me about 1 hour 45 mins. I'm hoping to make the ride to the shop in 1-1/2 hour tomorrow morning.

It's 26+ miles each way, so the round trip is about 53 miles and will take over 3 hours.

Man, this 53 mile ride is quite an inspiration to me. I've never done anything like it before, but you have me checking out Wikiloc for a relatively flat route without too much elevation. Keep us posted on your trip.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Speaking of bears.... I snapped these pictures when driving through the U.P. last summer. I think I took them in Trout Creek? Outside of a bar & grill...

15728_1204541886838_1627351458_496858_5529705_n.jpg

15728_1204541926839_1627351458_496859_5670190_n.jpg
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    So I am out of commission for a while. Last Saturday we went out for mother's day and I fell down the stairs at the resteraunt.
    I had my 4 year old niece in my arms and didn't see the steps below me. I thought I broke my leg, but thankfully, it's only bruised...but it's really bruised! So, I have a cain to help me get around for now. I have moments when I don't need it, but then if I sit or lay too long, I need it more.
    I WILL get back to the program once I am able to get around better.
    i am sure a few laps in the pool will keep you in the swim!! i hear a lot of guys suffering injuries and taking the foot off the gas--it can be fatal for the enthusiasm---i have 2 really banged up middle twos with half off nails--gained on the running machine because of the slope. İf i had to stop i would get in the pool and wait til the recovery --physios use pools!
  • CasperO
    Options
    Well, tomorrow's the big day - I will ride my bicycle to work. I've made the trip once before, one way only, and it took me about 1 hour 45 mins. I'm hoping to make the ride to the shop in 1-1/2 hour tomorrow morning.

It's 26+ miles each way, so the round trip is about 53 miles and will take over 3 hours.

Man, this 53 mile ride is quite an inspiration to me. I've never done anything like it before, but you have me checking out Wikiloc for a relatively flat route without too much elevation. Keep us posted on your trip.
    I made it, eventually,

I got a flat, with no pump & no spare tube. Pushed the bike prob 2 miles to a station. Aired up the tire and peddled like crazy to get to work before it leaked down again. Wound up making the trip in 2hours-15 mins, which ain't bad with 30+minutes of walking. Sometimes I am truly astounded at my own stupidity. Will use Co. truck to run out this PM and pick up a few things.

I feel great though, 10 feet tall & bulletproof. Can't wait to get this tire fixed and do 'er again going home.

FYI - if you're gonna do this, eat a Clif bar at the very first sign of bonking out. If you wait 'til you're really feeling it you're too late. Don't sweat the calories, just feed the machine.
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    just read back through the thread--my challenge weight is now 163lbs and target is 154.2 by the 4th July(being british i cant figure out why you choose such a date!!)--i am a size 35 waist so want to be 32 and buy all new trousers to stop looking like a bag of rags!-my weight is around my waist now because i am in that middleage bracket. --my start out weight was 185lbs 6 weeks ago and in that time i havent had a break in loosing at least 2lbs but sense this last 8,8lbs might be the tougest
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Hey all. So I wanted to see if any of you have any experience with elbow injuries... I broke my elbow a little over a month ago (the head of my radius bone, to be specific). It was a pretty mild break - no surgery required. I have full (more-or-less) range of motion back, but the bone is still healing and certain actions will cause some pain. I realize I need to be careful not to cause further injury, but I want to do some kind of upper body work at the gym. I'm getting antsy not having been able to do it in over a month. I know some of the weight machines will allow me to work my shoulders/back/chest with minimal use of my elbow, so I'm going to try those out. I was just wondering if any of you have dealt with this (or something similar) yourselves... any recommendations on specific exercises I could do that would allow me to test my arm and see how it goes?
  • ccgisme
    ccgisme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hey all. So I wanted to see if any of you have any experience with elbow injuries... I broke my elbow a little over a month ago (the head of my radius bone, to be specific). It was a pretty mild break - no surgery required. I have full (more-or-less) range of motion back, but the bone is still healing and certain actions will cause some pain. I realize I need to be careful not to cause further injury, but I want to do some kind of upper body work at the gym. I'm getting antsy not having been able to do it in over a month. I know some of the weight machines will allow me to work my shoulders/back/chest with minimal use of my elbow, so I'm going to try those out. I was just wondering if any of you have dealt with this (or something similar) yourselves... any recommendations on specific exercises I could do that would allow me to test my arm and see how it goes?

So, no surgery and no PT? Hmmm.... Would you be content to focus on core and lower body strength? I'm not a medical professional, but I've been injured enough to hesitate before pushing a joint injury without a professional opinion. Good luck!
  • gr8dad1975
    Options
    Hey Guys

My 8-year-old son has been teaching me how to ride his Rip Stick..:noway: Of course, you don't learn to ride one of these without making a few trips to the ground.:ohwell: I am not an expert by any means, but learning something new is a lot fun. By the way, if I don't make it for the Friday weigh-in, it probably means that I have broken my neck. But don't worry my wife says that my insurance policies are up to date.:huh:

Special Thanks to Casper who made riding his Rip Stick seem like so much fun..:drinker:

This really is a lot of fun guys, you got to try it!!!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Just have to pop in to say, maybe those things should be renamed "wrecksticks", or maybe "dipsticks"? :noway: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: On second thought, maybe the name is right after all--you know "R.I.P.sticks.:noway: "

Just lurking, and wanted to wish all of you well on your efforts.

Memo to Casper:
    When you said at some point you were working to get rid of your "spare tire," I didn't realize that included the one for the bike, too!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Have a great holiday weekend!!